Boots - interior BC

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
nathanhldbrnd
Starting to Post

Boots - interior BC

Post by nathanhldbrnd »

I spent my rookie year in Ontario and completely destroyed a pair of Mark's Work Wearhouse Dakota Ballistic 8" forestry boots. This year I'm planting near 100 Mile House in BC and do not want to skimp on footwear. I've heard and read a lot about Zamberlans and other backpacking boots like LA Sportiva Karakorum, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience using straight-up leather logging boots without caulks. Hoffman boots (in Idaho, I think?) has some pretty rugged sounding models, and they also sell wildland, hunting, lineman, and firefighting boots, though I can't tell which would be best for planting. Any input on this would be highly appreciated!
evanodell
Regular Contributor

Re: Boots - interior BC

Post by evanodell »

I'd be cautious about buying boots over the internet if you don't know how they're going to fit.
newb
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by newb »

An important question, one that comes up year after year, and for good reason. A good pair of boots can make all the difference. I meant to write a short paragraph, it ended up being long. I will give you my input, based on what has worked for me..

I have no experience using the Hoffman boots but I am sure some of their models would be good.
- >
evanodell wrote:I'd be cautious about buying boots over the internet if you don't know how they're going to fit.
The type of boot you describe, with caulks, is more popular for coastal planting, where caulks are essential.

Viberg, based out of Victoria, is a fairly reputable company. Many planters go with one of the VIberg Logger -> http://workboot.com/collections/logger For coastal planting, I really like the Viberg Woodmans 200 without the steel toe.

However, for interior planting, I prefer a backpacking boot.

For simplicity, I will use the MEC categories to showcase the differences. They have many boots intended for different use ->

INTENDED USE
Mountaineering (14)
Hiking (11)
Backpacking (11)
General winter activities (7)
Lifestyle (1)
Light hiking (1)

If we compare the Mountaineering, Backpacking, and Hiking, I think the sweet spot for a good interior planting boot is in the Backpacking category.

Mountaineering

No question, the mountaineering boots would most likely last the longest. I have seen some people get four plus seasons from one boot. The construction is excellent. However they are far too heavy and rigid for my liking.
I used to drool over the La Sportiva Evo Gore-Tex Mountaineering boots (link below), but carrying around the added weight on your feet is costly/not worth it.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5009-329/la-s ... 0089+50835

The Zamberlan Pelmo Plus Gt is found in the Mountaineering section. They are more similar to the backpacking boot and would be a good option.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5015-481/zamb ... 0835+50985

For those who like facts:

“The consensus was that carrying an amount of weight on the feet required between 4.7 and 6.4 times as much energy as carrying that same weight on one's back ”

“The various studies' authors hypothesized the extra energy requirements could stem from the biomechanical limits of walking, or perhaps because of the stiffer construction of boots versus lighter and more flexible running shoes.”

Source:http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outd ... f-back.htm

Hiking

Hiking boots are nice and light, but the construction is poor. They will not last very long (too many seams and stitching all over the place). You might be able to get away with it on exceptionally nice land. Might be more common in Ontario, Alberta, Quebec (I wouldn't know). Even at that, I would not recommend any of these boots for planting.

Backpacking

Backpacking boots often give you the best of both worlds. The construction is good (one piece of leather often enforced with GORE-TEX). They are Light, give enough support, and with good care can last fairly long (A fair estimate: approximately two seasons).

Zamberlan, Asolo, La Sportiva, and Scarpa make a very similar backpacking boot. All good options.
http://www.mec.ca/shop/mens-boots/50089 ... 0835+50985

I have had really good experience with the Zamberlan Vioz GT, but these boots are not for everyone. I attached a picture of the boots after one season. I shoe goo the toe to form a toe cap. This often requires 3-4 applications.

Others have discussed the drawbacks.
kife wrote:It is personal preference for sure...

Precisely because the leather is much thinner in the Vioz, and because the nature of the land in this area means that day in and day out the boots are exposed to consistently wet, swampy conditions without the ability to fully protect the boots on a daily basis, these boots are destined to fail as the thin leather cannot handle the constant wetness eventually becoming full of holes.

Essentially the leather disintegrates. If it had a toe rand, or even a full rand around the base this situation could be remediated.

As such, I can only say that the boot might perform okay in some areas, but only in areas which are relatively slashless and dry, such as the Okanagan or Quesnel/Williams Lake type areas. It is definitely not a boot for far N. Alberta.
dusty wrote:Although these were definitely some damn comfortable boots, they went ahead and assploded on me not 3 weeks into last season. They developed two small holes (which looked like little puncture marks...) in a crease right above where the left ball of your foot would be. Down the tubes goes the waterproofing. But all is not lost, they are still holding strong. Oh wait no they're not! About 4 days of use after the holes gaped, and all was indeed lost.

As for how long these boots were used:

- One season of planting, maybe 60-70 days or so.
- Two additional months of forestry surveying work until it got too cold out to wear them (they are not good in snow).
- Three weeks of the next planting season.

I definitely took good care of these boots as far as I was able. I used Nikwax waterproofing every 10-14 days. I tryed creating a Shoogoo toecap (seen in previous pictures) but it sloughed off in no time. I think it may have been that I left them caked in mud a tad too long and that somehow helped in drawing moisture out of the leather making it brittle? Anyway.
There will be no perfect boot for everyone. For interior planting, this is what I recommend ->

- A backpacking boot
- Something that has one piece of leather and has the least amount of seams and stitching. A wrap around “Rubber Rand” can be good (as seen on the Zamberlan Pelmo or Scarpa SL Active).
- A lighter boot does make a difference
- Try on more than one pair. Find the most comfortable.
Attachments
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG (150.61 KiB) Viewed 8232 times
fluffer

Post by fluffer »

Has anybody used old leather boots from an army surplus?
Aeryk
Regular Contributor

Post by Aeryk »

I used surplus combat boots made for/by the Canadian military last year on the interior. My season was three months, two bc one Alberta. I used the combats probably 4/5 days if not more and they held up incredibly while. I had a pair of zamberland vioz (picture above) the year before and there great boots but in comparison to toughness the combats win.
Pros
-Tough as nails
-Full grain leather with zero seams and high neck make them very waterproof
-Steel shank
-CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP (mine were 20$)

Cons
- not super comfy (get insoles)
- not very good grip on sole
- can be hot

In concussion I totally recommend combats if your on a budget. Im bringing sine as backups this year for sure (got me some pelmos this year and an very excited) just insure that the boots you get are the actual Canadian military ones. Ill get a picture asap. They are the best and members of other armed forces used to trade/buy them from our guys before they were discontinued apparently.
Alas! how little does the memory of these human inhabitants enhance the beauty of the landscape
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

One of the greatest planters I have ever known wore the combat boots the previous poster mentions. He got the soles caulked and kept 2 pairs to use in rotation during wet times on the coast. He swore by them for the last many years we worked together. If the combat boots stood up to his punishment then I'm sure they are good.
fluffer

Post by fluffer »

I wore a pair last season. I'd worn them enough outside planting to know they cause my feet no issues so I gave them a shot for 15 bucks. I couldn't deal with forking out hundreds for a decent hiker. So the pair I got was well worn to begin with but that was fine because they fit like a glove. They lasted the entire season before the toe material started to wear through (I do a fair bit of kicking). 40+ solid days and they started off beat up.

The previous pro/con list is accurate enough. Personally I dislike insoles and prefer them without. The one thing I did learn was to have 2 pairs because when that leather thoroughly soaks it takes a while to dry. For 20/pop I can handle that. I might try a rubber boot and combat combo, even. But I'm not going to drop 300 on boots that's for sure. I'd think putting caulks in a pair if I knew I wouldn't kick the toe out so fast.
Aeryk
Regular Contributor

Post by Aeryk »

Here is picture of the Canadian Military issue combats. These have not been used for planting (although are used boots).
He got the soles caulked and kept 2 pairs to use in rotation during wet times on the coast. He swore by them for the last many years we worked together.
This is pure genius! boot budget capped out this year but I will deff do this before next season
Attachments
20140215_151309.jpg
20140215_151309.jpg (275.66 KiB) Viewed 8111 times
20140215_151259.jpg
20140215_151259.jpg (300.42 KiB) Viewed 8111 times
Alas! how little does the memory of these human inhabitants enhance the beauty of the landscape