Polypro shirts for tree planters

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
Sowsun
Regular Contributor

Polypro shirts for tree planters

Post by Sowsun »

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on using polypropylene clothing at tree planting. ie, Helly Hansen base layer items of clothing. Myself and a lot of my friends wear Helly Hansen Base Layer's composed of their "Lifa" (100% Polypro) material. We often wear this as the only item of clothing we are wearing - so not strictly as a base layer, but as an 'only' layer.

What I've started to notice over the years is that, the wetness wicking abilities of these shirts really degrades fast. I think it is because dirt from the work gets into the fibres and makes them less effective. I find these shirts quickly begin to retain a lot more moisture for a lot longer. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's even worth it to dish out the extra $10-20 for the polypro, or if I should just settle for something thin made of polyester or spandex.

What do you people here think?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Polypro shirts for tree planters

Post by Scooter »

I've got a Stanfield's long-sleeved shirt which is really thin but quite warm, it's called a "Polar Therm" brand. It's a fast drying shirt. I don't know where I got it, but I love it. When I find more, I'm going to buy a bunch. I usually find it to be fine to wear for 4 degrees and above without rain, or 9 degrees and above for light rain, around 12-13 and above for heavy rain. But for heavy rain, I usually put a wool Stanfield's on top and I'm good.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
bhappy
Regular Contributor

Post by bhappy »

Scooter, I know the one you are taking about...I actually came across them in a really weird place. The Wheatsheaf pub in Cedar (by Nanaimo) has a cold beer and wine store and they sell them there. I might also have seen them at ONOs in Courtenay but definitely saw them in the liquor store of all places.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Nice, thanks. I'll track them down.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
krahn
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by krahn »

helly hansen polypro shirts used to be standard issue. when not washed often though they stink, much worse than something like merino wool, which i prefer.