Dewan Enterprises

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
backcountrysister
Replant Forums Highballer

Dewan Enterprises

Post by backcountrysister »

Owner : Pawan Dewan

company works in BC
Rainman

Re: Dewan Enterprises

Post by Rainman »

I see these guys on some bid sheets. Most of the time they are serious underbidders and I wonder how it works out. Anybody know?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I suspect that not a lot of their planters use this message board. Not really a big company, from what I understand, and somewhat seclusional.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
backcountrysister

From my understanding & i will keep this very minimal. They are a lo wballing company who gets a lot of work but sub contracts out to other companies. They have at least 75% rookies and yes, im sure not very many of the planters use this site.
roughing it in the rough
Screefhead

Post by Screefhead »

Pretty sure they're one of the East Indian companies. Hire all Indian crews, plant blocks in gigantic line plants and pay day rates at far less than what a regular planting company pays.
Gualbert
Regular Contributor

Post by Gualbert »

Screefhead wrote:Pretty sure they're one of the East Indian companies. Hire all Indian crews, plant blocks in gigantic line plants and pay day rates at far less than what a regular planting company pays.
Well the owner is East Indian but the pictures I've seen from their season on facebook shows that they hire mostly whiteys and divide land in a conventional matter. But I understand that they lowball the shit out of their work and are a rookie mill.
Coaster

Post by Coaster »

Dewan are hit and miss at best. They have the odd good job but are more likely to grab work at low prices and subcontract it to someone desperate enough to take it. I have only heard horror stories about contracts that were subcontracted from Dewan or anyone else. If you hear a job is suncontracted STAY AWAY! Some creep in a suit already took a cut of a low bid job.
Gualbert
Regular Contributor

Post by Gualbert »

Coaster wrote:Dewan are hit and miss at best. They have the odd good job but are more likely to grab work at low prices and subcontract it to someone desperate enough to take it. I have only heard horror stories about contracts that were subcontracted from Dewan or anyone else. If you hear a job is suncontracted STAY AWAY! Some creep in a suit already took a cut of a low bid job.
That's probably true most of the time but this summer Blue Collar had to subcontract a block to Torrent- the Torrent planters were getting 13 cents and their boss said that was super low- 15 would have been better. We were getting 12 on the same block (though we had to walk in 30-50mins and they had truck access) and that's after Blue Collar raised the original price. So you never know.
Captain Slashpile

Post by Captain Slashpile »

And then torrent bailed after noon on the last day of the season and left blue collar to go way into the back of the block and finish their land. Classy.
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!
Screefhead

Post by Screefhead »

Just be thankful you didn't work for Blue Collar when Davin Greene (Torrents' owner) was a foreman there. You only had to clean up his crews blocks one day instead of an entire season.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

This thread says a lot more about blue collar than it does about dewan. They both sound like garbage... There's only one half decent company to work for in quesnel and it's not either of those!
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
backcountrysister

Hammy
Who exactly would that half decent co. U speak of? Dont say Mikegrosite because they too sub contract 90% of their work & Im hearing all sorts of crap about that co. DO U mean Cottonwood? I had a couple of thier planters work form me this year & they where great!
roughing it in the rough
Screefhead

Post by Screefhead »

TheHamsterizer wrote:This thread says a lot more about blue collar than it does about dewan. They both sound like garbage... There's only one half decent company to work for in quesnel and it's not either of those!
Zanzibar and Big Sky are 2 good companies that work in Quesnel. There's also a real small company run by local that pays very well. Dont know their name but its owner name is Connie (she used to foreman at Waterside Ventures 15 -20 years ago).

But last few years the Quesnel area has become infested with companies like Smeltic ,Spectrum, Slummit, Brinkmart, Western Pacific and oodles of East Indian Companies. Prices are going nowhere but down.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I worked for Connie once at Waterside in about 1995. Hm, I think she had already been a foreman for about twenty years back then. Great to work for.

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead »

I worked on Connie's crew the 1990 spring season. :mrgreen: Still probably the best all round foreman I've worked for.
The Gardener
Starting to Post

Dewan Enterprise!

Post by The Gardener »

Just decided to plant again this year and the only company that seems to still be looking is Dewan! Wondering if there is anyone out there with the good..the bad...and the ugly about this company?? Finding it difficult to track down any info.
Thanks!
Pandion

Re: Dewan Enterprise!

Post by Pandion »

Don't do it. Give A&G a try, they're looking for planters.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Dewan Enterprise!

Post by Scooter »

I suspect that quite a few companies are looking for people with previous experience, and you would find companies with a better reputation pretty quickly. A&G is a good choice, as noted above. The snow in the center of the province has probably screwed over a dozen companies. My own camp has lost three days due to snow on the blocks, and I'm considering myself to be pretty lucky, considering what I've seen out there. I'm not looking for planters though.

Watahh
Starting to Post

Post by Watahh »

Hello I have planted for the Dewan's the past two spring seasons. They have been very good employers so far, the highest paying I have worked for and they really do want to get a solid group of planters going. The company does have some older guys who all line plant for a day rate but most of us plant on our own and get paid either per tree or hectare. They are a younger company far as planting goes so I think they feel they need to be competitive. The company is mixed between East Indians, Africans and Caucasians...not all East Indian. And from what I have seen they are pretty much all return planters with several years experience.
PlantinTaders
Regular Contributor

Post by PlantinTaders »

Watahh wrote:Hello I have planted for the Dewan's the past two spring seasons. They have been very good employers so far, the highest paying I have worked for and they really do want to get a solid group of planters going. The company does have some older guys who all line plant for a day rate but most of us plant on our own and get paid either per tree or hectare. They are a younger company far as planting goes so I think they feel they need to be competitive. The company is mixed between East Indians, Africans and Caucasians...not all East Indian. And from what I have seen they are pretty much all return planters with several years experience.
Dude anyone not living under a rock for the past 5 years knows these scumbags are the same people as Khaira, implicated in human rights abuses in 2010. Terrible people, terrible practices, terrible company. Probably responsible for the murder of a disgruntled employee in a shady "alcohol poisoning" death.

I'm not going to believe for a second a single word posted by this brand new forum account. GTF Off replant and GTF Out of the industry, banchode.
Onterrible? Albertarded.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Not to defend Dewan, but I know who posted this, and it's a real person. I'm not sure if he's worked for any other companies, however. Perhaps reviews would be more credible if people put their names and listed what other companies they had worked for, for comparison purposes. It's hard to do a very useful review of a company if it's the only company you've worked for.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Like me :P ?
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
Watahh
Starting to Post

Post by Watahh »

Plantintaders, the Dewan family have been taking brushing contracts out of Quesnel for around 15 years I believe and only got into planting in the last 5 years or so and have lived in the area even longer. I'm pretty sure the company you are mistaking them for was out of Surrey and has nothing to do with these guys.

There's a few woodlots in my family so I grew up around it and planted for a few people privately before a real season with Spectrum. I was very disappointed at Spectrum having a foreman that encouraged stashing and left after about 5 weeks. I have now planted 3 seasons with the Dewans and they have been awesome employers. They really are trying to get good people together and with the owners on site everyday they are harder on stashing and quality then what I saw at Spectrum. They're not the most communicative bunch obviously but I think they're getting a bad rep for no reason.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

There's a few woodlots in my family so I grew up around it and planted for a few people privately before a real season with Spectrum. I was very disappointed at Spectrum having a foreman that encouraged stashing and left after about 5 weeks. I have now planted 3 seasons with the Dewans and they have been awesome employers. They really are trying to get good people together and with the owners on site everyday they are harder on stashing and quality then what I saw at Spectrum. They're not the most communicative bunch obviously but I think they're getting a bad rep for no reason.
I ran into them (Dewan) working on a mistletoe eradication contract down near Williams Lake this past fall, or perhaps the prior fall. My memory is starting to fade.

backcountrysister

its been awhile, so here is my point of view on Dewan. Being a nice guy does not pay bills or correctly run a company. not paying every 2 weeks and legally running any project is illegal. I have had first had experience with this company. I was running a contract in 2009 and had to plant next to these guys. Maybe enough fines and all the illegal antics straightened them out. But to say you dont know why they have a bad rep. in recent history they screwed people and messed their projects up. Not exactly professional or of high standing.
roughing it in the rough
lars zergun
Regular Contributor

Dewan Enterprises

Post by lars zergun »

hey team,,,,, I new fellow, Corey Moscaluk, with very minimal facebook info has recently been trying to hire people off the KKRF FB page...
on his first try, quite a few planters came out spitting fire and claiming he was some how related to the people at Khaira (from our infamous slave labor headline) , and that this was a changed name, or somehow a shadow branch of this company....
anybody got the scoop on this? anyone actually know this guy?
he was very actively trying to sell himself to rookies (red flag)
has no planter friends facebook (red flag)

Hes says the new company is called Dwan, but maybe he misspelled dawn.....
anyone? anyone?
Im not claiming to have any information, Im just trying to do my part and do a little credibility check for a rookie....
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: DWAN = Khaira ????

Post by Scooter »

Dewan Enterprises. They've been around for quite a while. Possibly related somehow to AKD, but I'm not sure of any actual connections ... that's just what some people have alluded to me.

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Hmmmm...this Corey Moscaluk? http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/pro ... 13817.html

If so, I don't want him driving me to work.

To be clear, Dewan is not Khaira, and they are different business entities, with different owners, unless there has been a change recently.
Dewan has been around quite a while, at least 15 years by my reckoning, perhaps more.

Any rookie seeking a job should ask about the training program the company has, the safety program, their compliance with employment standards, and ensure they get clear answers. If not, run away screaming.
srochon
Starting to Post

Post by srochon »

I met this guy last year very briefly. He claimed to be the best planter in the world, etc.
backcountrysister

Dewan Enterprises

Just don't do it. Enough said. These fly by nighter types are a scourge on our resources. Rookie mills and no idea about how to run a contract. Dewan and Khairi do have a connection. I know first hand about it.
Ask alot of questions if you do make contact. Also, never heard of this guy. I've been in the business for 20 plus years. I work in BC and Alberta running contracts.
roughing it in the rough
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I received the following email recently, from someone who asked me to share the information that she wrote:
> Hello Jonathan, I am the mother of a first time planter and his second time planter girlfriend. They flew from Quebec to BC and started with the Dewans. They were treated very poorly and given more days off than they worked. They happily found a better company which they are very happy with but the Dewans never paid them..I wonder if there is some way to warn young people about this firm. My son has spent so much money on plane fares, equipment, etc to get there and not have the work that was promised, and then not get paid at all for work completed is outrageous. They are doing very well now (my son planted almost 2500 trees in one day) but they were banking on the money to support them while they continue university studies and now they will definitely come up short. Don't want anyone else to have to go through that.

> Thank you for having the tree planter forum I wish they had known about it and read it before they left.

> thank you

> Deborah

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Of course, if this is true, it would be best for the two workers to file a claim with Employment Standards.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

Sorry you had to put up with all that. So what is this Cory fellow's association with Dewan?
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

Woodworks Works reforestation is the stupidest company name I e ever heard
ChinRoll
Regular Contributor

Post by ChinRoll »

Hmm... well, sometimes snow has to be shovelled and kimchi noodles are delicious to some. Does doing/eating these things really make this Corey fella a bad guy?
ChinRoll
Regular Contributor

Post by ChinRoll »

Also, his "Crazy" nickname could be a result of his name starting with a "c". In my lifetime I've met a handful of "Crazy Carls", but neither one of them was truly crazy. If you want me to hate this guy, you'll have to be a lot more convincing.
ChinRoll
Regular Contributor

Post by ChinRoll »

Yeah, that sounds like a horrible experience, and well worthy of a warning for others to stay away... but it sounds like you did get paid in the end. I just don't see why you would bother posting four months later, slamming the guy for having a winter job and eating noodles. Like so effing what!

Big Ben, on the other hand, he deserves a 4k walk-in, fully bagged up, every day for the rest of his sorry ass planting career (if the stashing allegations are true, of course).
leaner
Starting to Post

Post by leaner »

NEW DEVELOPMENT
After working for Summit and Spectrum I found out some more information about Corey and his accomplices from others who knew him in the past. One of his "employees" in his "company" (if you can call them that) named "Big Ben" used also work for Summit along with Corey. "Big Ben" ended up getting fired because of stashing from what seemed to be about 25% of his trees a day. The way he got caught was, Summit checkers had to go count all of his trees.... yes count every single one of his trees. And so Big Ben got fired and Corey left with him the same season for unknown reasons (this was in Ryahs camp by the way).
Later After working for Spectrum I found someone ells that also knew Corey from her skiing life. Apparently Corey Moscaluk works at Silver Star Ski Resort and goes by the name of "Crazy Corey" shovels snow and lives of kimchi noodles...... DONT HIRE HIM, DONT WORK FOR HIM

I got paid (not even the exact total) becouse I basically told him I would sue him. That is the only reason. Considering the fact that every known company that he has ever worked for has banned him from working for them and the fact that his best planter on his shitty pirate ship is a mega stasher should be noted. Also if you live off of noodles that's sais something about who you are as a human being. Their is a reason why when he tried to hire people on KKRF he got banned on that FB page as well. And the reason why I'm posting about this now is becouse I just finished my season. He Fucked up my month of April when I could have bin sipping on beer and skiing but instead I actually lost money due to this ordeal.
Was this in quesnel? Because ... fuck that. Shity pirate ship is right.
Anyone reading this should listen to the advice. Stay away.
But i don't understand the part about the noodles.