Wet suits for rainy days?

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
dkarvas
Starting to Post

Wet suits for rainy days?

Post by dkarvas »

Yes, the kind someone might surf/swim in. I remembered seeing some at value village last year. Am I being ridiculous or is this a possibility?
theBushman
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Wet suits for rainy days?

Post by theBushman »

It'd keep you warm, sure. I couldn't begin to imagine how comfortable it would be to work in.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram
Pandion

Post by Pandion »

Only one way to find out, but I predict some serious howling.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Bad idea on many levels. First, a wetsuit works by heating a thin layer of water between your skin and the neoprene. Out of the water, you will only have a thin layer of sweat, and this will not suffice....it will only stink. And speaking of stink, neoprene, when worn out of the water and against the skin, tends to propagate the most unpleasant odour. This also will not be good. Furthermore, where there is odour there are often other bad things. A wetsuit will hold all your foulness and bacteria in, this is not good. Your skin needs to breathe, a waterproof suit inhibits this process. Another problem would be chafe, we're talking extreme chafe, we're talking running a marathon in sandpaper underpants....simply put, friction not good. Even worse, going to the bathroom. Just imagine the scene, it's cold, that extra bowl of oatmeal just dislodged from your upper digestive track and is speedlining through your lower tract, the inner gate has fallen, and the outer gate is about to give away. You fumble for the zipper at the back of your suit, but your gloves and numb fingers make it hard. You get halfway unzipped when your breakfast bursts out into your bodyglove, coating you in a nice warm insulating layer of your own feces. You then must ride home in the back of the truck, and only after a cold bath in a nearby ditch. This also is not good.....unless for some strange personal reason, that appeals to you.

My room mate tried wearing one in the heavy rain when we were bike couriers. All bad news all day long. He had to cut himself out of it at the end of the day. We all laughed.

In short, leave the wetsuit for the waves. Use polypro, merino, goretex, raingear like all the pros do. There are good reasons for the tested and true.
PatrickB
Starting to Post

Post by PatrickB »

Extra thick garbage bag cut and with a little duct tape. It was warm, waterproof, easy to put on or take off and put in the back bag, Weighed nothing, and didn't get snagged on anything. Beat my rain gear. Block style -10/10( Looks a little trashy), comfort 9/10
Lewis
Regular Contributor

Post by Lewis »

Helly Hanson stretch raingear. Add a thin merino wool and/or polypro layer if it's cold and that's all you'll need. Neoprene gloves under the usual pair for the hands and you'll be laughing at everyone complaining.