so I was wearing "Steeltoe" boots without Steel in them

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

so I was wearing "Steeltoe" boots without Steel in them

Post by newforest »

no, not some trick question with some non-Steel metal.

I was buying a new pair of boots, the same ones I was wearing = Red-Wing "King Toe". I get about two full years of year-round forestry work out of them for a little less than $200 out the door, and are very comfortable with a large though goofy-looking toe design. They aren't as good on the steepest slopes and I might someday pick up a pair of boots (Hathorne?) just for the steep stuff.

I mentioned to the sales-person that I liked them because they weren't Steel-toe, even though I am occasionally asked to wear those for no real reason. She told me I was already wearing them … there was a plastic-ish composite in the toe that passed the safety standards for steel toe. So I was happy about that, because I don't like steel toe at all.

So I Googled around on this a little and found this:

Composite Toe:A Non-Metallic Safety Toe for environments where steel is not appropriate. Reduced cold-transfer in cooler environments and meets the ASTM Standards for compression and impact testing rating of I-75/C-75.

I'm not sure what other boot manufacturers might offer this, but I am happy with the boots I have with this.
chrisdunn
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: so I was wearing "Steeltoe" boots without Steel in them

Post by chrisdunn »

Dunlop has a boot that's composite. So much better for winter work.