shin pads

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
ohreillz
Starting to Post

shin pads

Post by ohreillz »

Anyone use them? Looking for any feedback.

I'm considering it for the coast but don't want to waste my money if they end up being less than useful or chafing too much. I just like the idea of shin-bonking slash out of the way and avoiding those tragic log slips, but I'm not down to fiddle.
chronic
Regular Contributor

Re: shin pads

Post by chronic »

do it. you won't regret it. i wear soccer shin pads and won't plant without them. can smash and lean into shit. for 25.00 best money you will spend.
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by jdtesluk »

I bought smaller style shin pads at a second hand store. I just use the upper velcro strap (placed just above the shin). I wore them under my pants and over my tights (in the cold) and right on the skin under my pants in warmer weather. The bottom of the shin pad just reached or slightly overlapped the top of my lace-up caulks. With hikers, there was a bit more of a gap. I found this system to be highly effective, and certainly spared my a few shovel shots each shift, and helped with pushing slash aside or leaning over logs to reach spots. I only spent $5. If you don't like them, they're easy to take off, and the investment is minimum.
chronic
Regular Contributor

Post by chronic »

Do not buy used ones. Thats just cheap. I Know a person that did that and got a weird staff infection. Can't say for sure it was from used shin pads, but shortly after a friend got some used ones, got a slight rub, then staff infection shortly after. Who wants someone else's sweat when the things only cost 25 bucks new. I do small slice and remove the foam around ankles and leave the stirups on so they don't move around. Wear over top of my socks so no rubs. And still under the pants. I only wear caulked hiking boots and the bottom is under the boot tongue so no movement and the boots actually fit even better, but I do have skinny ankles.
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by jdtesluk »

Well, aren't we all high society. I suppose you think buying used underwear is cheap also.
Well, we can't all live the lifestyles of the rich and famous.
:D
ohreillz
Starting to Post

Post by ohreillz »

Thanks for your candid responses