Back-Bag Speakers

This one is pretty self-explanatory. This part of the forums is specifically intended to collect health, safety, training, and related information. Unsafe Is Unacceptable.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Back-Bag Speakers

Post by Scooter »

A lot of companies don't allow you to wear ear-bud headphones for various reasons. Safety wise, you can't hear certain problems like a bear behind you. Practicality wise, you can't hear your foreman or a nearby planting yelling at you. So you probably need to get a back-bag speaker. They're becoming very popular these days. I wouldn't normally take a phone onto the block in case I fall on it and break the screen (which I've done before, hence the reason I don't like to carry it on the block anymore) but those back-bag speakers are waterproof and will keep you from damaging your phone, and that way you can use your phone to stream music. Even better, something like an iPod allows you to play music but not be distracted by the urge to go online.

If anyone has experimented with various brands of portable waterproof speaker enclosures, can you post the links and your reviews here? I don't know which ones to recommend to planters.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
theBushman
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Back-Bag Speakers

Post by theBushman »

I have Goal Zero Rock Out speakers, but not the solar charger for them. They're not waterproof, but they can tolerate moisture. They can be linked together for evening tunes. My phone doesn't fit in the internal pocket, but any flat shaped mp3 or iPod will. No idea if the iPhone fits, I don't have one to try.

Rock Out 2 is probably better. http://www.goalzero.com/accessories-speakers

For those who are willing to use their phone, I've seen a lot of holsters built inside hardhats, and I recommend doing so to remind crews to wear their lids where required.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram
Rianna0213
Starting to Post

Post by Rianna0213 »

I bought outdoor tech's turtle shell 2.0 for this upcoming season... Sound quality is great, Dustproof, waterproof, bluetooth capable but what really sold me was the 15 hour battery life which is totally legit. I've tested it multiple times since getting it and it only takes a couple hours to recharge. The downside is the price which is 100 dollars but if you get it at London Drugs you can pay like 20 bucks and you get your warranty extended for an extra 2 years which makes it worth it. They basically told me that as long as it's not crushed they will take it back. Just an option for someone looking in to this type of thing. http://www.outdoortechnology.com/Shop/Turtle-Shell/
Mike
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Mike »

One earbud in is my solution. You get to listen to music without the rain-filled-back bag speaker electrifying your ass, and hear your screaming foreman at the same time.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
twitch
Regular Contributor

Post by twitch »

Ive been rocking the Ecobox for the last 3 seasons, i find it has the best sound quality/frequency range I've seen for what it is (especially if you listen to electronic music or music with decent bass) it's loud, waterproof and keeps your ipod safe and dry. On the coast on the super rainy days i just put it on shuffle and let it do it's thing and the ipod stays perfectly safe and dry inside. You can get them at London Drugs in PG for $59.99, last year in the spring they had them on sale for $39.99!

I can usually get 3-4 days of planting with the box on all day on 3 AA batterries, even better if you have rechargables!

https://ecoxgear.com/ecoextreme/
potentpotables
Starting to Post

Post by potentpotables »

I concur with the ecobox. Solid shit. About $60 at London Drugs, but daaaamn I love planting with headphones. I will get eaten by a bear.

(edit): (knock on wood)