BushPro vs Workwizer

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.

Who makes the best planting gear?

BushPro
70%
Workwizer
30%
Other??
No votes

Total votes: 37

Scooter
Site Administrator

BushPro vs Workwizer

Post by Scooter »

For the past several years, I've been recommending to my planters to buy BushPro gear, because we had a lot of problems with Workwizer gear several years ago. I've heard rumours that Workwizer shovels were having a lot of problems with blades snapping last year. Any feedback to corroborate this?
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Thomas
Regular Contributor

Re: BushPro vs Workwizer

Post by Thomas »

BIth of the people I know who used Workwizer in the last two years had their blades break after just a few days of planting, one even the very first day of planting in fact. So it looks like there is some sort of a quality problem, probably because aparently they outsourced their labour overseas (thanks
Harbama). I don't know anyone who broke a Bushpro blade, but I've broken two Bushpro handles.
notinsignificant
Regular Contributor

Post by notinsignificant »

I've seen a bunch of carbon steel bushpro blades bend after encounters with rocks, including a brand new one on the 4th day of the season. Never seen any stainless steel blades break, and my workwizer has generally served me well for three seasons.
chronic
Regular Contributor

Post by chronic »

workwizer in the past for shovels. didn't get a last years blade or this year yet. bush pros are slightly heavier blades, i like the lighter weight of workwizers. workwizer plastic handles (not last years metal shaft/blade ones) are by far and away the best. lighter weight and the plastic shaft absorbs impact much better. grip molds to hand better; but you must size length properly. hate the metal on the bush pro shaft, as it does not absorb impact and harder on the body. handle grip too large for small hands on bush pro as well.

never been a better planting bag than the bushwhackers, but not made anymore and rare as rocking horse shit. bush pro bags beat the workwizer hands down though. field maintenance easier bush pro and easier to replace parts or turn three baggers into 4 baggers.
flagging pouch sucks on all bags except bushwhackers
Cyper
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Cyper »

I've heard that quite a few Workwizer blades broke last year. I also heard that to fix this problem, they added more steel, making their blades quite heavy. This was thought to be a factor in one of our planter's early season tendonitis injuries this spring.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Yeah, Workwizer definitely had a reputation for having great shovels for a long time, but I guess it's their recent history that matters if people are buying new gear. One of my foremen just mentioned that only a couple people in our camp last year had Workwizers (new ones) and they all had problems with breakage within a week or so. We can't really remember a BushPro shovel breaking in the past four or five years. I'm still using a BushPro shovel with a wooden handle that must be close to fifteen years old now.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
ohsnap
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by ohsnap »

Workwizer has promised reinforced blades this year, if you see the photo with the dude standing on the edge of his shovel, he's certain it'll work. Mind you, they're the same blades as last year, he's just 'reworked' them like cyper said...

Fairly certain 3 years ago he switched manufacturers, and hasn't been able to produce quality work since.

Last season by the first three shifts we had six new workwizer shovels broken in one camp, at least four in another - including one that split right up the blade first day on the job. The year before there were less new shovels, but still a couple of broken blades.

I stand by my workwizer from 9 years ago, I find bushpro too heavy. I have another workwizer from 4 years ago that I've managed to only break the handle on... I hope that if/when ever my trusted pink handled workwizer goes missing, or breaks, that someone will have come up with some solid manufacturing. Fingers crossed...
dirtpenetrator
Regular Contributor

Post by dirtpenetrator »

I like workwizer blades with bushpro handles.
greenspace5700
Starting to Post

Post by greenspace5700 »

I used a 24" Workwizer D handle shovel last season and I had no problems with it. I really liked how light and small the shovel was as well. A guy on my crew also ordered padded shoulder straps for his bags and really liked it. Also a lot of people in my camp with Bush Pro shovels had to grind the blade down because it was so big. Although 2015 was my rookie season so I'm not sure if this is something people do a lot.