Tree Shade Cards

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

Tree Shade Cards

Post by newforest »

Anyone here ever install these around seedlings?

Spec is clear enough - place to SW of each seedling.

But I have no idea how that would work in terms of production, or technique - some sort of little stake to anchor them?

Can't even find an example of them via Google Images.
newforest

Re: Tree Shade Cards

Post by newforest »

Well there was a picture of these in the bid at least:

they are anchored with 'staples' and the agency supplies a 'stapler' of some sort

still not a clue on how production would work with these
newforest

Post by newforest »

well they did give me the source of these items, naturally enough Terra Tech - my preferred supplier for most things Tree-Planting

http://www.terratech.net/product.asp?specific=jrjpgnm0

some assembly required. still kicking mental ideas on these - maybe 1 shade installer for 2 planters, dunno.

south-central Colorado is a long way to go for me for a planting job though I'm sure it will be beautiful there.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwww haaaaa haaaaa

Reminds me of a good time I had in Cowichan one year. We were instructed to lean small pieces of debris against the trees on the southern side to protect them from sun. Specifically, it was to protect the delicate root collar area from getting scorched. My supervisor said this with a bit of a smirk, so I actually thought he was screwing with us, as did my block partners that day. We discussed it, agreed he was messing with us, and planted as usual.

I was sent back the next day to put bits of debris and bark up against each seedling. Whooops. I guess there actually is a legitimate reason for this specification, and someone has found a new application for it.

If the screens are light enough, you could probably do it all in one shot and carry everything at once. No hammer needed and no heavy wooden stakes. We used to do vexar (mesh tree cones) with simple metal stakes that we just drove in by hand. This looks lighter and easier.

If you do the "all at once" method, I would suggest bagging light, because you end up spending a lot of time bent over with a load on your back.