How safe is spraying?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
MattW
Regular Contributor

How safe is spraying?

Post by MattW »

I have a job lined up spraying for Spectrum after spring planting, but I'm hesitant to do it because I'm unsure how safe it is.

I've heard they use Round-Up, which is a fairly dangerous chemical despite all their advertising..

Does anyone have any experience spraying or have any factual knowledge regarding heath effects of spraying herbicide?

Also, how profitable is it for a rookie sprayer?

Thanks!
theBushman
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: How safe is spraying?

Post by theBushman »

Not actually RoundUp, it'll be called Vision, Glyphosate or just 2,4D.

The stuff is used in commercial farming all the time. It breaks down when exposed to water, and it's diluted for use with water.

I wouldn't drink a glass full, or take a bath in it, I've never heard any first-hand stories of getting sick from it. The Dutch farm kids where I grew up all got sprayed on by the duster planes, they were in the field marking where the next pass was to be.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram
Victor One
Starting to Post

Post by Victor One »

I did herbicide spraying for 5 seasons.

If you're wearing the right PPE, you can limit your exposure to the chemicals greatly. A lot of companies don't provide the proper equipment (hardhat, respirator, impermeable coveralls, nitrile gloves, etc.), and then you end up soaked with chemicals and a big FML on your forehead.

No chemical is better than the other health-wise. They'll all give you weird rashes and headaches if you're exposed to them.

Good luck with the spraying contract. 5 seasons was 5 seasons too many for this guy.
Fantastic
mcD
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by mcD »

Roundup(glyphosate) is not 24d. very different stuff
DanAykroyd69
Regular Contributor

Post by DanAykroyd69 »

Now, what's this spraying thing all about? What month(s)? Pay?