Waistbands

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Waistbands

Post by jdtesluk »

If you're looking for a waistband for your bags, try searching ebay for Arcteryx backpacks. There are tonnes of waistbands for sale dirt cheap, that can easily be modded for planting. I paid quite a few bucks for mine way back when, but this is a good cheap option if you're searching.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Re: Waistbands

Post by Nate »

Good idea, keep backup buckles though, the only Arcteryx product I've ever had problems with is their buckles. They crack pretty easy, especially if it's cold.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

arcteryx belt, with seat-belt buckle from a car. done deal, no more broken buckles.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

mwainwright wrote:arcteryx belt, with seat-belt buckle from a car. done deal, no more broken buckles.
Best solution.
newforest

Post by newforest »

have never needed to acquire a separate waistband, nor ever broken a buckle, as the buckle is a metal loop-through design:

I buy straight from the manufacturer in Oregon, Terra Tech. Newest models have side pouches for raincoat/waterbottle, etc., but no triple bags available here. I will probably get a couple customized ones with a pouch for fertilizer on the front of the planting side (left for me), and a storage pouch on the back of the reserve side (right for me) for extras.
hobohighballer
Regular Contributor

Post by hobohighballer »

What's the best way to attach/mod a waistband?
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I haven't used the seatbelt buckle, but everyone that uses them seems to like them. I'm not a fan of anything that is loop-through and does not quickly release. I think it is important to be able to dro your bags in a hurry if need be. I can't imagine using a two-bag system with all the mixed bags we get around here. I used a 4-bag system for most of my years.

As for modding your bags, the tricky part of replacing your waistband is getting the velcro onto the new waistband. I have a simple trick for that. I freesole (fabric glue) a strip of (hookside) velcro onto the waistband. Then to keep it in place while it sets and dries, I wrap the sucker in flagging tape, really tight, and leave it for a day or two. Then peel the tape off and you're good to go. Last one I did that too lasted for years and years, and the velcro never came loose. Then the band just velcros into the bagset, assuming they had a velcro waistband to begin with.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

newforest wrote:have never needed to acquire a separate waistband, nor ever broken a buckle, as the buckle is a metal loop-through design:

I buy straight from the manufacturer in Oregon, Terra Tech. Newest models have side pouches for raincoat/waterbottle, etc., but no triple bags available here. I will probably get a couple customized ones with a pouch for fertilizer on the front of the planting side (left for me), and a storage pouch on the back of the reserve side (right for me) for extras.
Sorry, but that fisher price set up is TRASH. Look at it!
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

jdtesluk wrote:As for modding your bags, the tricky part of replacing your waistband is getting the velcro onto the new waistband.
I have an Arcteryx waistband...I drilled holes in the back and used nuts and bolts to secure it. This does mean though that my sealline bag has two very distinct holes from rubbing while walking in...I've a short framed body; I should have covered them.

Used zip ties for the sides which held for three years, but I'm trying to figure out how to bolt the sides now. Might have a go with the velcro idea.

Anyone heard of or seen memory foam waistbands?
rumham
Starting to Post

Post by rumham »

this arcteryx waistband idea is pretty badass, my bushpro pads always get all weird and start flipping up away from the actual belt, so i figured this warranted some investigation.

I am seeing a lot of arcteryx waistbands on ebay that are built to go on backpacks for US Marines.
are those the waistbands you guys are talking about? the photos don't seem to give me much of an idea of attachment points or size.

so my question is this... if these are the same waistbands you guys are getting, are they that much of an improvement and is attaching them a matter of an afternoon of playing with zip ties and duct tape?

thanks
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

I used to use the classic pads, but I'd sewn a few together...no matter how secure I made them, they'd always be trashed by the end of a shift. A single set up of pads was obviously worse.
rumham wrote:so my question is this... if these are the same waistbands you guys are getting, are they that much of an improvement and is attaching them a matter of an afternoon of playing with zip ties and duct tape?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USMC-Woodland-Di ... 537wt_1156
I'm assuming this is what you have found on ebay, and yes, that's exactly it. And yes, they are much better.
For mine it took me five minutes to configure the nuts and bolts in the back, and a couple more for the zip ties. As I said before though, the zip ties for me hasn't worked out to be a very good long term solution.
rumham wrote: the photos don't seem to give me much of an idea of attachment points or size.
in the photos, you can see there's no padding in the back, that's where I've bolted mine to the back of my bags. Works like a charm, only problem is the sides...
newb

Post by newb »

That is a pretty good deal $14.64 + $11.73 shipping = $26.37. I dont have the military version, but it is exactly that.

Also consider arc teryx shoulder straps. I have custom planting bags, with bigger pouches, that use this combo, and it is definitely worth it. I can not post pictures, to respect their design/patent.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USMC-Marine-Mili ... 002wt_1381
rumham
Starting to Post

Post by rumham »

killer.
thanks so much for the help, folks!
looks like i have to get in touch with some marines and do some crafts!
hoo rah
newforest

Post by newforest »

that bag I pictured lasts about 250 planting days with no fixes, etc. and even then you only need to replace the pouches separately, the harness and pads will still be fine.

very comfortable and can load 333 6" plugs; perhaps 500 of the small plugs if you wanted. newer ones have a side pouch for water bottle, etc. the manufacturer is making an even newer one for me with a separate fertilizer pouch at the front left in addition to a pouch on the back right. not quite as handy as a third bag, but getting there. he said they've imported Canadian models a few times, but everyone who tries them comes back to his. I've never used any other.
twitch
Regular Contributor

Post by twitch »

Can anyone provide some more insight or pictures for attaching an arcteryx/hiking bag hip belt? I get the bolting the back part, just curious about methods for zip ties for the fronts.

Any advice much appreciated!
LScott
Regular Contributor

Post by LScott »

twitch,

I bolted mine through the back as others have said, and just shoe goo-ed the shit out of the sides. I use a seat belt buckle, but it is attached to the bag webbing, not the arcteryx webbing (cut that off), so the weight isn't actually pulling on the padding, it's pulling on the bags. You are mostly just sandwiching the padding between the bags and your body. Did this back in 2008 or so, and is going strong. No signs of coming apart.
(If I remember correctly I used clamps to hold the parts together while the shoe-goo dried for a couple of days)