Balistic Nylon?

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
notinsignificant
Regular Contributor

Balistic Nylon?

Post by notinsignificant »

So I was looking at my options for boots with Goretex liners, after my old ones died on the last day of last season. The cheapest pair available out here in Winnipeg are made of ballistic nylon, not leather. This sounds awesome, because leather is such a pain in the ass to take care of, but I don't know much about the durability of the material. I did have one friend bring back a pair of Dakota nylon boots with the left side ripped open after her rookie season in the BC Interior, but Dakota boots are not know for quality. I did know another guy who swore by the nylon Dakota's, but he wasn't a planter. What is your experience with nylon boots?
theBushman
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Balistic Nylon?

Post by theBushman »

Been buying Dakota Ballistics for years, and I usually buy a new pair every year. I like them for the features rather than the quality or price point, and because they're replaceable wherever I happen to be.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram
notinsignificant
Regular Contributor

Post by notinsignificant »

theBushman wrote:Been buying Dakota Ballistics for years, and I usually buy a new pair every year. I like them for the features rather than the quality or price point, and because they're replaceable wherever I happen to be.
Yeah Paul, you were the guy who swore by the nylon Dakotas. You ask an question on a forum and the reply you get is from someone you mentioned in your question, the big wide internet looks looks a little smaller to me right now. :?
Paladin
Starting to Post

Post by Paladin »

I recommend Terra boots for ballistic nylon. I have used the Ripcords for 2 seasons and they worked amazing. They have real steel toe caps and ballistic nylon all around. 6-in tall. The gore-tex broke after the first big storm, but that's not surprising. In the second year the ballistic nylon detached from the lacing on one side of the right boot, but plenty of shoe-goo fixed it. I screefed too much with that boot in my first season. I think I can still pull off one season though.

However, they don't make them anymore. I think their current model is Ripcurrent. It now has a plastic cap, and 8-in ankles. I looked on their website and they don't report this second model either, maybe its discontinued.

They are very pricey though, $300, but totally worth it.
theBushman
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by theBushman »

notinsignificant wrote:Yeah Paul, you were the guy who swore by the nylon Dakotas. You ask an question on a forum and the reply you get is from someone you mentioned in your question, the big wide internet looks looks a little smaller to me right now. :?
I get around, like the village bicycle.
The trouble with the Dakotas is the seams are glued together, and the quality of the glue job is dropping. I'm trying a new boot this year, a lined, oiled leather.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram