Health Care for American Planters in Canada

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Health Care for American Planters in Canada

Post by Scooter »

I have an American citizen in my camp (heavy Canadian ties, but he's American, and on a work visa). He does not have valid health insurance in Canada.

Is anyone familiar with the ramifications of this? We know that he is not covered for anything that happens outside of the work site, since he has no health insurance.

However, if he is injured on the worksite, and has to go to the hospital (let's say he gets cut badly by a sharp stick and needs stitches), is he covered by WorkSafe for the hospital visit. Remember that he is working on a legitimate work visa, in BC, for a BC company.

If he is covered by WorkSafe, is this a "no cost" visit, or does he have to pay up front and then apply to have the hospital fees refunded by WorkSafe later?
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Treeppy
Regular Contributor

Re: Health Care for American Planters in Canada

Post by Treeppy »

From the BC Ministry of Labour website:
"Will the fact that I am from another country, working in British Columbia on a temporary basis affect my right to file a claim?
The right to compensation is normally determined by the place of injury, not by your country of residence. If WorkSafeBC determines that your injury resulted from your work in British Columbia you will likely be entitled to receive workers’ compensation benefits. Each case is assessed on individual merit."
https://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/wab/factsh ... orkers.htm

So, yes, he is most likely covered by WorksafeBC for work related injuries.

Now, the answer to your second question is less clear to me. He might have to pay upfront as he doesn't have any Canadian healthcare number, and get reimbursed when his claim gets processed. Though, WorksafeBC specifically insists he needs to make sure to tell the healthcare practitioner the injury is work related, so maybe he wouldn't even have to pay until a decision is reached on his claim? Not sure about that.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Yes. The focus isn't on potential benefits payments, we're just wondering if the hospital visit would be covered. We're going to talk to WorkSafe directly and try to get some proper answers, and I'll share the info here once we figure it out.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Mike
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Mike »

Third party travel insurance is cheap (~$1-$2/day) depending on what plan you get, so there is kinda no reason for your employee not to get it and save himself some trouble down the line.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
SwampDonkey
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by SwampDonkey »

I see no follow up so I can only assume the answer is either 1) no, 2) it depends, or some answer that leaves you more puzzled. Government doesn't usually use straight talk. ;)
'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry