Logistics of Operating a Heli Show

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
Thomas
Regular Contributor

Logistics of Operating a Heli Show

Post by Thomas »

Hi, I'm trying to write a screenplay that involves tree planting. Logistically, the camp I am setting the story in needs to be a Heli camp with no road access out, but although I have almost six seasons experience I've never been in such a camp. Is there anyone here who has been in or ideally run such a camp who can give me a lengthy breakdown of the logistics of running such an operation? Planter, management, and ownership input would all be valuable, though I know my chances of getting some of that is slim. Thanks!
retrovertigo
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Logistics of Operating a Heli Show

Post by retrovertigo »

I've only been in two, but here's a few quick notes from a planter perspective:

-Could be great $$ since you could work long days if you chose to. Some people would come back for dinner then go back out for a bag-up or two. We had a buddy system, so if you wanted to work late you had to have someone out there partner planting with you.

-People mostly brought liquor instead of beer because it was easier to pack in/out. So, well, party nights got messy fast.

-Days off were boooorrrring. There were attempts to make them fun, talent shows, sports, etc. But realistically it's just like being stuck with a flat tire on the block for a day. Stocking up on books and movies before going in was important.

-Bear safety was super important. They were always around. It's the only time I've seen one shot.

-When it rained for any prolonged period, the entire camp started sinking into the ground.

I'll come back if anything else pops into my head. Have a friend who runs a small company that mostly does remote work in N. Alberta who could probably offer a lot of great insight from the planning/logistics perspective, but, well, he's in the bush right now, go figure.