Hazard Alert, Flying Rocks

This one is pretty self-explanatory. This part of the forums is specifically intended to collect health, safety, training, and related information. Unsafe Is Unacceptable.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Hazard Alert, Flying Rocks

Post by Scooter »

I received the following email the other day:
Hello All,

A very serious incident that had resulted in fatalities in the past has once again been recently reported. This morning [October 18th] a contractor had a rock thrown towards them from an oncoming truck, the rock crashed through the windshield and struck the passenger in the face knocking them unconscious and possibly fracturing their jaw, below are some photos; needless to say the result could have been much severe.

I have attached a previous SafetyAlert for you to use to communicate this hazard to your drivers, please take the opportunity to discuss what they can do to prevent this from happening again.
I myself have been in a vehicle that had the entire window knocked out by a rock from a passing truck, and in a separate incident last fall, I was hit in the face by a smaller rock from a passing truck.

Check out the attached PDF from a couple years ago, on this same subject. The two photos in this post are from Tuesday's incident.

Be careful out there.
Attachments
aom_mar2013_debris.pdf
(533.09 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
rocks2.jpg
rocks2.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
rocks1.jpg
rocks1.jpg (17.57 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Hazard Alert, Flying Rocks

Post by jdtesluk »

This often seems to be a hazard specific to certain roads. I immediately think of the Morice FSR headed south from Houston. Non-stop mining trucks and non-stop rock projectiles. It's a combo of traffic and road surface that makes things a real treat for glass repair shops in town. Tanizul and Leo Creek (Ft St James) are another couple of beauties. Fast driving, lots of boulders and potholes. Good times.

It's a hard one to control for. I notice that the alert doesn't provide any advice for drivers of pickups and other traffic. Generally when I see bigger trucks coming, I pull right over even if I'm on a straight-away (if I have the chance). I seldom notice logging or mining trucks slowing down in response, but at least I'm in a bit better of a position if they kick something out (and I'm not moving).