What do planters like on CBC?

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

What do planters like on CBC?

Post by newforest »

Working 'in range' of Canada near The Soo for a few weeks and a lot next year.

Not having much luck remembering to turn on CBC at the right times.

I like the jazz program with French speaking DJs. More melodious that way. But no clue when it is on.

I would like to hear some foreign commentary on the surreal tragicomedy that is our current election season. Not sure what program is good for that.

Is there some First Nations programming on some time?

What is CBC1 vs ... ?regular CBC?

What do you like on CBC?
retrovertigo

Re: What do planters like on CBC?

Post by retrovertigo »

CBC 1 is talk radio / news (mostly) CBC 2 is music

I listen to 1 more than 2, it's background chatter around the house, but there are a few particular shows I'll turn up:

The Current - interview show about major world events
As It Happens - similar but more of a grab bag with small or quirky news stories mixed in
Spark - tech / internet
Unreserved - this is the native / first nations content you're looking for; mix of interviews and music
Out in the Open - new radio documentary; individual human interest stories

don't have times memorized, check cbc.ca
they're usually available as podcasts too
newforest

Post by newforest »

thanks. I'll dig into the schedule when I have some actual bandwidth sometime.

I saw a headine on the web the other day - "First Nations promise 20 Standing Rocks" - that caught my eye

the American version of CBC, sorta, is NPR. I used to live on their complete broadcasts while driving to nurseries every morning and home again later until, for some reason, the day Hunter Thompson died. I thanked for them that note, mentally, and turned on some music and never went back. the news is just never good so I do like listening to Wawa instead.
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

ah didn't realise you were on limited bandwidth so I took 5 min to check the sched for you

The Current - weekdays 8:30am (replayed at 8pm)
As it Happens - weekdays 6:30pm
Spark - Sunday 1:00pm eastern / 4:00pm pacific (I'm sure this gets replayed at some point during the week but don't see it listed on their site ...?)
Unreserved - Sunday 7:00pm (replayed Tuesday 1:00pm)
Out in the Open - Thursday 1:00pm (replayed Saturday 3:00pm)

I'm mostly familiar with NPR for Radiolab and This American Life, various friends over the years have been really big on those shows in podcast form, but I don't know, I just couldn't stomach the 'twee' (for lack of a better description) vibe they gave off. CBC equivalents to those would be Vinyl Cafe or the Sook Yin Lee show, but I think that one got cancelled this year.