Planting in Nova Scotia

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
wahblamy
Starting to Post

Planting in Nova Scotia

Post by wahblamy »

I've never planted before but have been doing a lot of research and still can't seem to find answers to some common questions - that's why this forum is so great by the way!

So i've got a feel for a company called Coastal Woodlands who pick up in Halifax at 6am -> drive to the site and -> drop you back off in Halifax at 6pm. This is ideal for me for personal reasons but all I am hearing about planting in NS is that the land is great - albeit wet - and you only earn 4-8 cents per tree (NOT A LOT EH?).

Does anyone have experience planting in NS? Maybe even with Coastal Woodlands? Do they provide spades and bags? Is it difficult to get a spot?

Also.

How many cents per tree is usual in BC?

Thanks! :D
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Planting in Nova Scotia

Post by Scooter »

Depending on where you're working in BC, the land can be anywhere from 10 to 20 cents for most normal Interior work. That also depends on the difficulty of the land. I've worked for 9 cents before, on really nice ground, and I've worked for 80 cents before. There is no "standard" tree price because there is no standard difficulty. Also, the quality specs are more rigorous in BC than in Nova Scotia.

Hopefully someone else can answer the questions about planting in Nova Scotia. I haven't done it myself, even though I'm from Truro originally.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
mwainwright
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by mwainwright »

I think that company was once known as coastal trilling reforestation, whatever that means. I called them up years ago to see what the deal was, the guy offered me a foreman or supervisor job before I had even told him my name. Something about that made me think twice, but having said that, this was in 2006, so a lot could have changed since then. I remember seeing these guys planting in point pleasant park in Halifax, which seemed like a really interesting project
fluffer
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by fluffer »

The land can be great and it can be horrible. Depends on who you are working for and where you are planting. There is a lot of woodlot planting that happens. I worked for a contractor that picked up what was probably a lot of leftovers. Very overgrown cut blocks. Not great planting at all but the standards were obviously very low which allowed things to even out a little.

I have no idea what the situation is like since I have not planted in NS since 2010. I have had correspondence with some contractors which seemed interesting (for NS). Most had seasons that would probably be very short (6~ weeks).

Not sure if you have previous planting experience but I would recommend getting your feet wet (pun intended) in NS for a short season before investing in a full season in BC.