Eye protection - antifog and antiscratch

This one is pretty self-explanatory. This part of the forums is specifically intended to collect health, safety, training, and related information. Unsafe Is Unacceptable.
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Eye protection - antifog and antiscratch

Post by jdtesluk »

We've all seen it. Someone get a poke in the eye, then either the licensee or someone else hands out a bunch of cheap "safety" glasses, that A) look awful,.... B) have terrible optics that actually distort your vision,.... C) fit poorly and fall off your face every few trees,......and worst of all....D) FOG UP the moment you slow below jogging speed, thus impeding your ability to see trees, and sticks, and holes, and bears.....you get the drift.

Well, I just picked up a pair of anti-scratch, anti-fog safety glasses made by Bolle. Model #40239. See link: http://www.bollesafety-usa.com/reference/40239

Okay, they aren't as stylish as Frogskins or Baloramas, or whatever you might wear to the beach. However, so far, I am impressed with the optical clarity and fit. I like the low tint, as it seems good in low light, but will still provide some relief in the direct sun. I wore them while running around in the rain, then came inside into a warm house, and experienced no fog at all. Of course, this is not planting, but I'm going to test them out a bit more over the coming months.

I see A LOT of eye injuries in forestry, and in planting. Mostly minor, but occasionally scratched corneas and more serious injuries. One of my best friends has a glass eye. While it is a great party trick and the subject of many pirate jokes, it is absolutely a negative impact on his life.

Surprisingly, they were only about $30 through Ebay. At this price, I'm going to use them for my XC skiing and mountain biking and see how they hold up. No one likes to lose a pair of $100 glasses. At this price, I can buy 3 pairs. You CAN pay $150 for fancy biking shades with anti-fog, but I'm not sure that is money well spent.

Most sunglasses are grossly overpriced due to the worldwide monopoly by Luxotica, which owns most of the major brand names, and which manipulates the market to drive eyewear prices up. Oakley and Ryders are just two names bought up by Luxxotica, who then had their prices jacked right up. Bolle currently is NOT owned by Luxxotica from what I can tell. I am guessing also that safety gear is priced differently than fashion gear. I know people that use $5 mechanic gloves instead of comparable $50 mountain biking gloves. Get 'em while they're hot?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Eye protection - antifog and antiscratch

Post by Scooter »

One of my best friends has a glass eye. While it is a great party trick and the subject of many pirate jokes, it is absolutely a negative impact on his life.

Surprisingly, they were only about $30 through Ebay.
That's it for a glass eye? I should buy a couple.

Seriously though, I've had scratched corneas twice, badly enough to have a doctor patch me for a few days each time. While I don't like planting in glasses most of the time, it's always good to have some pairs available in case you get onto a block with bad brush.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Har har. However, glad you brought that up! Glass eyes actually cost thousands of dollars. Unless of course you prefer to improvise.

Attachments
FysfL0rjSG1x.jpg
FysfL0rjSG1x.jpg (63.53 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I have to say, the buddy with the glass eye has made the absolute most of it, dropping it in people's drinks, pulling it out to clean it, and messing with the optometrist who can't figure out why his pupil dilation is absent. At an event last year, I knew he was about to give a big speech. So I handed out plastic googly eyes to everyone in the crowd, and we all popped them into place just as he started talking. He looked straight at me, with his one good eye, and expressed his delighted but profane appreciation for the moment. Lots of laughs, but I know he would still rather have his eye.

Another thing.....I think social media would be greatly enriched with a lot more Waterworld references.