Colour Blindness

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
TheDude
Starting to Post

Colour Blindness

Post by TheDude »

Reading through some of the site, i noticed this bit under "Who should not go planting".
If you're color-blind, you're going to have an extremely hard time following planted trees in summer overgrowth, and you will probably be far less successful than other planters around you. Think twice, because being color-blind will definitely negatively affect your quality, density, and earnings. Apparently, about 5% of North American males and 0.5% of North American females are red/green colorblind.
I am colourblind (deuteranopia - red/green), and it is almost completely unnoticeable when planting. The only time it affects me at all is when a block is very green, and red or orange flagger is being used. Even then, it is only an inconvenience as i cannot quickly spot flag lines or flagged trees. I have no trouble seeing trees, even in the most green blocks.

I just want to point this out as i don't think it should be a big decider whether you will be successful or not. Anyone else out there colourblind?
donkeyrider
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Colour Blindness

Post by donkeyrider »

for the last several seasons I have worked with a guy who is color blind red green. Every once in a while he misses a red flag but thats about it. All round he is a very good planter. I think this type of color blind probably makes the job more difficult but should not be a deciding factor on whether or not to try planting, or hiring someone.
Best way to kill flies: "throw your shovel at them"
dusty
Regular Contributor

Post by dusty »

I am red/green color blind to the tune of 5% or something quite small. I rarely notice it but when I do, reds and greens become one with each other. The only time it has given me trouble planting, as previously mentioned, is with red flagging. There could be a single strip of flagging laying on a road and I could see it fine, but when the red is contrasting with green vegetation.....forget about it. I would have to ask my planting partner not to use red flagging at all, as quality would surely have gone down the tubes.

However, doing pine beetle surveying this January was a gigantic pain in the ass with not being able to determine with any degree of certainty the difference between the red beetle trees, and the green ones. Normally I hardly ever notice the whole red/green colorblind thing, but it was a whole other story with that type of work. Largely due to the difficulty in being able to determine the tree's color in the diffuse sunlight we were experiencing from it being overcast most days, and with the large amounts of snow being held up in the crown of the trees. I definitely spent 2-3 minutes at a time trying to determine exactly whether a tree was green or red, just staring up in the sky as if the longer I looked the easier it would become. Not so much. But hey, day-rate isn't so bad at that point......

But back on topic, unless it is some severe case of colorblindness, I don't see it (from personal experience) being too big of an issue on yourself, or those around you. Just use blue flagging.
krahn
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by krahn »

i've never noticed colour blindness anywhere else, but i'm quite convinced that i can't differentiate between various shades of green as well as most other people. which is why i've had to get good at flagging. i rarely double plant without flagging however i need to be fairly close before i can spot the seedlings in a green block, and can't pick it up in my peripheral as easily.

don't know how it is for people with more serious conditions but i can tell you that as long as you can find a colour of plastic you can tell apart from the trees, you can get to the point where it's not hurting you at all.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

This video can't be embedded, but it may be possible for people to watch directly through their browser. It talks a little bit about colour blindness.

http://ht3.cdn.turner.com/money/big/tec ... 24x576.mp4
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Here's more feedback about the best flagger colours for people with red/green colour blindness:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/replant ... 610868970/

Also, my father (who is also red/green colour blind, and has done woods work all his life) contributed the following:
Blue flagging tape works best for me in the woods. Bright yellow also works, especially when leaves are off.
Red does not work at any distance. Even blaze orange does not jump out at me when it is further than a short distance.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)