What is the Difference between a wasp/hornet/yellowjacket?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
Scooter
Site Administrator

What is the Difference between a wasp/hornet/yellowjacket?

Post by Scooter »

I was wondering this all day because I was always under the impression that wasps had yellow stripes and hornets had white stripes. And I had a white-striped stinging creature on my arm for about three minutes while I was planting. Perhaps it was cold.

Anyway, here's a useful article that tries to describe the differences:

http://insects.about.com/od/antsbeeswas ... ornets.htm

The key thing is that all three have yellow stripes. A quick breakdown from that article states:
In general, wasps can be distinguished from bees by their lack of body hair and thinner, elongated bodies. Differentiating between paper wasps, hornets, and yellowjackets is a bit trickier. All three are types of Vespid wasps, and share certain physical and behavioral traits: narrow wings that fold longitudinally when at rest; larvae reared on dead or living insect prey; nests constructed of recycled wood fibers; and the ability [unlike bees] to sting repeatedly. Paper wasps live in colonies of less than 100 individuals, while both yellowjacket and hornet colonies can number well over 100 Vespids.
Even more interesting, and this is something that I did not know at all, is that yellow jackets are the only one that nests underground:
Paper wasps build open, umbrella-shaped nests, often found suspended from eaves or window casings on the outside of your home. Hornets are famous for their massive, enclosed nests which can be seen hanging from tree branches or other sturdy perches. Yellowjackets also make enclosed nests, but theirs are found below ground.
So when you're on a block which has both types of nests, hanging nests and underground nests, they are actually two different types of insects, even though they look very similar and most people assume that they're the same thing.

What is usually just referred to as a "hornet" (the yellow-striped variety) by North Americans is actually the European Hornet or Vespa Hornet. I always thought that European Hornets were just a type of wasp. Here's some info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet

Very similar to the Vespa Hornet is the Vespula (or Dolichovespula) Hornet, which is what is usually called the yellow jacket. The stripe pattern on the Yellow Jacket is remotely similar to the European hornet, but different when you look closely. Here's some info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jacket

The type of hornet that I had on my arm today, which is what I always thought was the only type of hornet, is called a Bald-Faced Hornet. Here's some info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

And finally, here are photos of all three. The yellow bands on the Vespula (yellow jacket) seem to wrap right around the bottom, but on the Vespa (European) they don't. Yellow jackets also have yellow legs. That's about all I can figure out for differences.

Vespa/European Hornet:

Vespula/Yellow Jacket:

Bald-Faced Hornet:

And since I'm on the topic, there are lots of types of bees. Here is a common type, the honey bee. Bees are usually quite furry/fuzzy, so it's easy to tell them from wasps if you look closely:

You've probably heard the rumour that bees have hooked stingers, so when they sting you, the stinger gets embedded in your skin like a fish-hook, and it rips out of their body, and they die. And you've probably heard that wasps have straight stingers, so they can sting you repeatedly. Is this true? Party. It is true for honey bees. Other types of bees (bumblebees) have relatively straight stingers and can sting you multiple times. And some types of bees don't have stingers.

And the best new bit of trivia of the day? You have probably heard that only female mosquitoes will bite humans, and male mosquitoes won't? The same applies to bees and wasps!

Here's more information:
http://insects.about.com/od/StingingBit ... ng-You.htm
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
ohsnap
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: What is the Difference between a wasp/hornet/yellowjacke

Post by ohsnap »

I shivered reading that entire fascinating thing.

the nightmares of summer plants...oh dear...
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

I've heard people say that when brushing you're basically guaranteed to get stung multiple times per shift - is this true for some areas? Sounds horrible.
fluffer

Post by fluffer »

I got flashbacks after reading this yesterday. Curse you.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I just finished my 50th planting day on the coast so far for this year (including both spring and fall) and no stings yet. What are the odds of that? Practically non-existent. Got lots the last few years though. When you're on a steep coastal block with nowhere to run because you're pinned in slash or on the side of a cliff, and you're hitting four or five nests a day, it instills a bit of terror in your soul.

newforest

Post by newforest »

only two stings this year for me

one though, was right in the side of my neck. I showed it to the kid working with me, who I thought was probably lying to me about brining an Epipen with him to work now. His eyes got real big and he went quiet. A few days later, he brought a pen to work finally. A few days after that, he suddenly got on his phone in the middle of the day and chewed out a friend of his who had borrowed his truck the night before and taken the pen out of it.

He is using expired pens for now. He could get one cheaply enough as a very, very low income person from a public health agency, it turns out. But he won't prioritize his money to buy one (perhaps $30, not sure), so he gets expired ones from people he knows who do have insurance. I hope they work when he needs one some day….

that sting in my neck might save his life some day somewhere. he knew that if it had been him with no pen on hand, it could have killed him.
ApexPredator
Regular Contributor

Post by ApexPredator »

my ex would get stung probably 10 times a day, the only time i got stung this season was retrieving her shovel from a nest when she dropped it running away... (apparently im a nice manager)
trip
Regular Contributor

Post by trip »

Last year i got stung on 3 occasions, multiple times (from 2-about 7 stings each time) - all in one day, all yellowjackets. Prior to that it had been 3 years since i had the pleasure.

yellow jackets arent so bad but those big suckers with the white butts (apparently bald-faced hornets) hurt like hell for a long time
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: What is the Difference between a wasp/hornet/yellowjacket?

Post by Scooter »

My favorite quote of this evening:

"Bee penises are pretty fragile, and the penis of the male honeybee explodes with a really loud pop during the mating process. This single ejaculation kills the bee. So it’s just not very well suited to defense."

Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: What is the Difference between a wasp/hornet/yellowjacket?

Post by Scooter »