Mattock Reforestation

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
Hestia
Starting to Post

Mattock Reforestation

Post by Hestia »

Anyone have any intel on this new company? Looks like they are trying to break into the already dismal island planting scene. Little to no info on the internet.
Cyper
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Mattock Reforestation

Post by Cyper »

Bizarre name for a planting company. The mattock went the way of the Dodo by 1980. Prior to that it was the only tool being used. You can see it in use in Brinkman's "Do It With Joy" movie. It was a great way to J-Root trees while giving the planter scoliosis. But planters from that era would win every arm wrestle against today's shovel planters.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Planters from that era shouldn't be arm wrestling. Don't your bones get brittle when you get older?
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Cyper

Post by Cyper »

I suppose that's true but only if you're just opposed to juxtaposing.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I know the owner of Mattoc (Chris). Planted with him in the mid-90s at Zanzibar and Fieldstone. He started late-80s I believe when there may have been a few folks still using mattocs, and our supervisor at Zanzibar occasionally used on for checking. I think the name is a bit of an homage to the origins of the industry.

He has mostly stuck with small jobs, motel based. I think he's been doing his own jobs for 5-6 years now, just not large jobs that you would generally find on the bid sheets.