Leader Silviculture

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
the_dude
Replant Forums Highballer

Leader Silviculture

Post by the_dude »

Anybody know anything about them?
backcountrysister

Re: Leader Silviculture

Post by backcountrysister »

Shared a contract with Brian Adams under them name "sea to sky", a couple of years ago. Didnt see much of them, but it seemed OK. Strong speaking french crew. We stayed at different hotels but the prices where decent in Merritt & Fraser corridor. Not a bad company, from what Ive seen, a few friends worked for them directly and where treated fair.
good luck
roughing it in the rough
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

I've heard that merritt has since gone to shit, but clearwater is still good supposedly. They bid pretty high on stuff, anyways...
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

run by a guy named francois sauve (perhaps spelled differently) out of whistler. i've worked for them a little bit, and friends from my crew have ended up there a few times over the seasons. from what i know of them i'd say they're better than most outfits currently in the game. i have a list that i keep in my head in case my boss ever decides to fire me, a list of contractors i would call, and leader is usually in the upper reaches of it. i know they work in merrit, pemberton/whistler, and do some sort of chemical brushing from time to time. im sure they also do other things i dont know about. the sea to sky name is leader plus some other french contractor. like a francophone voltron that forms to do battle with the most demanding of contracts. so ive heard.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

mwainwright wrote: like a francophone voltron that forms to do battle with the most demanding of contracts. so ive heard.
Love this..reminds me of toys I blew to pieces with mighty-mites when I was 6...Ha ha...I am sure Francois would get a huge laugh out of it too! You're probably thinking of Stephan Contracting (Stephan Pasquerell)- together with a few other parties they formed Sea to Sky Silviculture- Francois had linked up with them with hope of getting the infamous Chinook contract that links Chilliwack, Sea to Sky, and the Charlottes into one big MOF thrill-show. As far as I know, the "Voltron" arrangement is no longer on line, and Francois is continuing to operate as Leader. He is now based out of Squamish, and he does ongoing work for BC Hydro, brushing the areas under transmission lines, mostly through manual and mechanical means, but with a small amount of chem-brushing, plus his regular planting shows. I can only say good things about Francois and his company.
zodiac
Starting to Post

Post by zodiac »

wainwright sea to sky was with brian and addams contracting from the island. and leader that year . before that brian and addam they where forman worked for bivoac
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

no, sea to sky is still owned by stephane and francois. i dont believe brian and adam had anything to do with it, other than sub contracting at some point.
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

mwainwright wrote:no, sea to sky is still owned by stephane and francois. i dont believe brian and adam had anything to do with it, other than sub contracting at some point.
I am sure it was a sub contract. It was a 6 pack to start for Brian Adams in the fraser valley than 3 more trucks came later to the merrit gig.
roughing it in the rough
Thomas
Regular Contributor

Post by Thomas »

So does anyone know about these guys? It's been a while since the last thread. Are the hiring? are they exclusive? I've heard good things about em.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

They're good. Probably a shorter season than at other companies, but definitely worth talking to. Email me if you want and I'll give you contact info for the owner.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Mike

Post by Mike »

I hear they're decent.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

High-quality people.
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

A couple of my friends work for Leader. It was still run by Francois a couple of years ago, seemed like a solid guy, I emailed back and forth with him quite a bit.
Good company, shorter season, good prices, technical planting, motel show, older crowd. Relatively hard to get on with, I think? I wish I'd chosen them over Torrent, but the shorter season and technical scared me off. I was an idiot.
Mike

Post by Mike »

If you can work here, you probably should.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
_I3^RELATIVISM

Post by _I3^RELATIVISM »

"Good company, shorter season, good prices, technical planting, motel show, older crowd. Relatively hard to get on with, I think? I wish I'd chosen them over Torrent, but the shorter season and technical scared me off. I was an idiot."
Yeah I did exactly the same, this year but with nature's, have to say I was a bit of an idiot has well, I was also scared away from the more experience relevant eviroment ;). Hopefully I can help them out when Im finish in merrit, and hopefully stay maybe for next season as well, you never know.
CRITICAL THINKING WITHOUT HOPE IS CYNICAL, AND HOPE WITHOUT CRITICAL THINKING IS NAÏVE