Buying leather caulks in BC

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
dreamofcream
Replant Forums Highballer

Buying leather caulks in BC

Post by dreamofcream »

Hey all,
I'm looking for a store that I can buy leather caulks in Vancouver or Nonaimo. I'm interested in the Hoffman products, and am hesitant to buy online because I want to trust the fit. I know Viberg is based out of Vic, but I have heard the quality has dropped.

Alternatively, I have worn and not hated the Viking blue rubbers but can't do a good comparison to the leathers because I've never worn them. Can anyone offer insight as to why the full leather or half and halfs are superior and worth the ~200$ difference in price?
jdtesluk

Re: Buying leather caulks in BC

Post by jdtesluk »

Durability.

I've seen rubber caulks blow out within one month, especially on the coast where you have lots of sharp pointies. Really sucks to have your boots come apart and have to borrow some orange gumbies until you can buy new ones. Comfort is another issue, as the leather boots tend to form fit better than squishy mcgishy rubber tubes. I've never been a fan of the half-leathers, because the seam between the rubber and leather inevitably seems to destroy the back of my achilles. Leather demands more upkeep, sometimes re-applying sealant several times in a week during extreme weather. However, the payoff is a superior boot IMHO.

I've posted this before, but I'll post it again, don't forget about socks. I strongly believe that a combination of a thin merino (against the skin) with a sports compression sock (knee high, for running or cycling) is the best way to go. This creates a slippy interface (between the socks) that prevents blistering, and helps prevent your feet from swelling and feeling great at 8am and death-pain by noon.

I don't have any beta on local boots as I bought a pair of good leathers from a place on Kingsway about 8 years ago, and haven't looked back since.
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

Maybe try Neiser's in Lake Cowichan. They cater to loggers and often have some high quality boots stocked. Try calling first to see what they've got, might be worth driving down from Nanaimo. Don't seem to have a website but this is their number according to the Googs - 250-749-6033

You could try Ono in Nanaimo too, they're usually good for other planting gear although I've never been impressed by their boot selection.
_I3^RELATIVISM

Post by _I3^RELATIVISM »

I bought some welders viberg boots with some lightweight soles, and have been very happy with it extremely light and durable, one thing I regret is not doing a custom fit given that is offered for free by the company and not asking to make the ruff side out. But I guess once I get more involvd with coastal planting I will do so when ordering my caulk version of it.
CRITICAL THINKING WITHOUT HOPE IS CYNICAL, AND HOPE WITHOUT CRITICAL THINKING IS NAÏVE
_I3^RELATIVISM

Post by _I3^RELATIVISM »

Not so great news it seems Viberg has stop shelf manufacturing for their workboot models, given the father is retiring. I sure they will still do orders, if you ask nicely has long as the father is working there.
CRITICAL THINKING WITHOUT HOPE IS CYNICAL, AND HOPE WITHOUT CRITICAL THINKING IS NAÏVE