Good Boots??

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
chad boulanger
Starting to Post

Good Boots??

Post by chad boulanger »

Anyone have boot suggestions?
the_bourbon_peasant
Starting to Post

Good Boots

Post by the_bourbon_peasant »

For tough/wet ground I loved my "Viking Black Tusks" (caulked rubber bottoms, leather laceup tops). Combined with a pair of gaitors, these things kept me happy and dry (as well as vertical). They are however, fairly heavy and thus can be tiring on a fast day, but they're worth their weight in gold when it gets ugly. Bamas are a must have addition as well.
A solid pair of dedicated backpacking boots are also nice, but can't keep up with caulks in sloppy conditions. Don't skimp on your boots!
If you can afford it, get both....calks for the muck, and hikers for the cream.
Ryan
Regular Contributor

lighter caulks

Post by Ryan »

I also find the black tusks way to heavy for everyday wear, so I recomend the step down without all of the chainsaw protection, way lighter!!
Not sure where you can get them in BC but you can get them at Gear up for Outdoor here in Thunder Bay.
dot
Starting to Post

Boots

Post by dot »

All I can say is go for a boot that is ALL leather, one piece, with not too many seams or separate pieces. Those seams just don't stand up to the elements the same as a thick, strong piece of leather does. I have had NO luck with Solomon boots..and others in my camp haven't either. So, I don't recommend them. I do like Scarpas and Garamont. Any pair with a one-piece thick leather. The rubber on the toes is a good thing too, thats the only seam/extra piece I found useful.
Another thing..I think it is a good thing to have a pair of leather boots and a pair of those orange "crusher" chain saw boots. They are like rubber boots, but they fit your feet snuggly around your ankle (have good support) and have metal spikes on the bottom which are GREAT for wet days (logs get VERY slippery). They are great for rainy days, wet blocks and just for spring plant in general. Leathers are better for hot, dry days because the crushers tend to be a bit warm/sweaty! If you can afford them both (crushers are approx. 150$), then I recommend that. It saves your leather boots on those wet days, and therefore may save you money in the long run!
skibum_
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by skibum_ »

I hear leather isn't too good to have as your sole boot because it goes to shit when wet.
Justin
rod
Regular Contributor

Post by rod »

leather is the best thing you can do with your feet besides the orange monsters. if your on alberta or anywhere east, get leather boots
skibum_

Post by skibum_ »

one thing to watch out for is the side of your boot. I've seen many boots get torn apart by the kicker on the shovel. The black tusks have a nice reinforced side so they don't get torn apart.
Justin
rod
Regular Contributor

Post by rod »

as a follow up, i had a pair of armond boots, small little italian boot maker. just the best boots i could have hoped for. light, held together all year (from may 1st to august 1) in fast wet grande prairie. those and gaitors and i was laughin all summer
R-E-P-Oh Good!
Slash Monkey

Post by Slash Monkey »

corked mountaineering boots are by far the best in my opinion. they're a bit of an investment, but when you think of how much more productive you are when you can move around well and your feet are dry and comfortable. they're especially good if you working in steep slashy ground. i had a pair of montrail alpine boots and i had them corked for 100 bucks. they were amazing. completely water proof, good angle support, and with the corks i could climb anything.
Zap
Starting to Post

All-leather HanWags

Post by Zap »

The German made Hanwags are the best boots made for quality, endurance, strength and comfort. My first pair lasted 7 seasons and I am still on my second pair. They can only be bought in two places in Canada...Track and Trail in Edmonton and in Vancouver.

note: I do switch my leather boots for comfortable insulated winter rubber boots during extreme wet conditions. Keeps me drier and happier.
maxie
Regular Contributor

Post by maxie »

i only wear scarpa mountaineering boots... either inverno's or, omega's. i've never had anything but hardshells since my rookie year and i'll never change!!! they're not that heavy and you can plant the creamiest land and highball. they're durable and very comfortable. i'm the only person in my camp who wears hardshells though.
eat meat, burn trees, make money