what about the lowballers?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
mertlerj
Starting to Post

what about the lowballers?

Post by mertlerj »

what happens to the planters who plant the least on the crew? how low do your numbers have to be to get fired? are there companies that are more leaniant than others? what if you love the work, but suck at the job?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

A few people are "slow" planters, some more so than others. However, you'd have to be pretty bad at it to be fired. As long as you work, and have a good attitude, you have no worries.

It's when you lose your motivation and don't do anything that you have to worry. As long as you're actually trying, you'll be fine, and in fact, if you're actually trying, you WILL get faster slowly. I was actually the sixth slowest planter out of a group of 36 rookies in my first year, and I was slow the entire season, but I caught on by the end of it and had a decent summer, and knew that I wanted to go back.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Shelley
Replant Forums Highballer

Lowballing

Post by Shelley »

Another thing foreman expect from all planters, but certainly "slower" vets, is consistancy and good quality. If they aren't making the big bucks off of you, they won't care as long as you are reliable.

Also, if you are aware that your foreman isn't making much money off of you, and you want to keep his/hers spirits up, helping them load trees at night, and doing some other extra duties will really also help ensure your spot as a respected and useful person around camp. I am not saying that highballers shouldn't have to help either, but that if you aren't good at putting trees into the ground, you can always strive to be good in other areas. Then, if you still are slow, maybe the next year you could be a checker or something.....
showlieau
Regular Contributor

Post by showlieau »

no-one has mentioned the traditional beating of the lowballer yet have they??
maxie
Regular Contributor

Post by maxie »

isn't planting difficult enough without worrying about being flogged???

tell you what... you go beat up the lowballer and i'll plant the rest of the trees on the block. :D :D
eat meat, burn trees, make money
showlieau
Regular Contributor

Post by showlieau »

its been made painfully obvious that your sense of humour may or may not have been left on the last block you were on. FOR THE RECORD there is no beating lowballers (to my knowledge, it could happen i suppose)

its the rookies that get it
maxie
Regular Contributor

Post by maxie »

meh... i'm not known for being terribly jovial out on the block... so, that's a fair assessment i suppose.
eat meat, burn trees, make money