boots - Meindl?

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
LScott
Regular Contributor

boots - Meindl?

Post by LScott »

I'm going to be a rookie planter this year up in Northern Alberta (Slave Lake area), and I was out boot hunting today.
Most of what I came across was alright, but nothing was all that comfortable except two boots.

I am now deciding between Lowa "Banff"s, which were really comfortable
and
Meindl "Makalu GTX"s. I had never heard of Meindls before. But they were really comfortable too. They seemed to be excellent in quality.
I'm trying to research the boots, but I have yet to find any info from anyone who's treeplanted in them.
The guy helping me out was talking about how it's really only the Meindls and the Hanwags that are still made entirely in Europe and everyone else is outsourcing so their quality is all down.
The Lowa's were $299, and the Meindls were $339
anyways,
has anyone seen or tried these boots out planting?
Any insight?

thanks.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Alberta mud is hard on high-end boots during the wet season. If you're going to spend that much on boots, consider spending an extra $50 to also get a pair of regular rubber boots, for the really wet & muddy days. If nothing else, you can wear the rubbers around camp after supper which allows you to wash off your planting boots when you get home from the block and put them behind the generators to dry.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
LScott
Regular Contributor

Post by LScott »

Thanks, I will most defiently be bringing rubbers.
Any idea which boot is a better buy? They are equally comfortable.

-L
showlieau
Regular Contributor

Post by showlieau »

try and see if you can find some armond boots, they were about 250 a pair, lasted me a full 3 month season in northern alberta, my feet were bairly ever wet. at least not as wet as everyone else. just water proof them when they are clean and take care of them