Broland Enterprises

This forum is specifically intended for conversation about planting in Ontario and Quebec.
replant
Site Administrator

Broland Enterprises

Post by replant »

This thread is devoted to gossip and discussion for employees and stakeholders of Broland Enterprises Inc.

This company is believed to work predominantly in Ontario.

Their last known contact information is:

1158 Russell Street
Thunder Bay, Ont., P7B 5N2
Phone: (807) 628-0733
Fax: (807) 628-0734
Last edited by replant on Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Website for this company

Post by Scooter »

This company has a website at:

http://www.broland.ca/splash/newsplash.html
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Ryan
Regular Contributor

Free Camp Costs

Post by Ryan »

For anyone who hasn't heard, Wilderness and Broland are not charging camp costs this year, the following is an explanation from Grant Trevor and Peter.

We are receiving a lot of inquiries regarding our FREE CAMP COST initiative. Here is a brief explanation to the rationale behind it.

Wilderness has decided to change the tree-planting industry in Ontario. There are costs associated with camps that have been traditionally passed along to the planters, i.e. food, cook's wages, camp setup etc. This is the way it has always been, and I'm not really sure as to why, as no other industry charges their employees to stay in a remote location. We believe the time has come for a change.

How will we pay for this? We have asked our clients to increase our rates to help offset some of the added costs. For the most part, we have had an excellent response from them; however, we have lost some jobs to very low pricing from our competition. We are not in the business of being the lowest bidder. We are also anticipating an excellent return ratio because of our decision not to charge camp fees. This should increase our average daily production, which will help lower our operating costs per tree. We are also hoping to attract other experienced planters, which will further increase our production.

Our objective...a 100% experienced crew...high production with a low overhead operation, better equipment and vehicles. Fewer people will eat less food, require fewer vehicles, less supervision, and plant more trees. If our entire organization doubled the average trees per day, we would require 1/2 the number of people to complete our projects...from 500 down to 250...the amount of overhead associated with 250 people will more than cover camp fees.

Finally, the tree planting industry is hurting, and it has been for a long time. The prices our clients have agreed to pay have not gone up in ten years, while our costs have. The land is harder to plant and has less access. We can either sit back and do nothing, or we can take a leadership role and make changes. How many other industries charge their workers to sleep in a tent on the worksite?? NONE. Wilderness is a veteran tree planting company, and has planted over 300 million seedlings. We are fully aware of the problems in this industry. If an organization like ours does not step up to the plate and try and make some changes, change will not happen.

Wilderness hopes to become the company at the end of the day that the planters will continue to work with. This will give us an advantage over our competition, or force them to follow our lead. But we need the support of veteran planters to make this work. It is that simple...no catch.

There are people out there and on the web that are questioning our approach. That is good. It means we have their attention. There is no scam, no rip off, no hidden agenda. We are maintaining our piece rates at a MINIMUM of 8 cents site prep and 9 cents no site prep. The food and the camps will be at the same high standards they have always been. The bottom line is FREE CAMP COSTS!
Greg
Regular Contributor

Broland?

Post by Greg »

Just wondering how the planting is at Broland these days. I had a terrible experience a few years back at the Fort Francis/Cuttle Lake contract. All the personel and camp were great. We just had terrible land, terrible pricing and very old/dangerous transportation. I have since been planting for three years out west where things are awesome($310/day this year). Just wondering how Broland can compete with west coast planting?
Ryan
Regular Contributor

send in your applications

Post by Ryan »

Hello all,

Just a quick note to all of the experienced planters to send in your returning planter info, spots are filling up quickly!!!

If you don't have a returning info sheet i put them on our website under employment.

http://www.broland.ca
Ryan
Regular Contributor

Post by Ryan »

Broland and Wilderness ar offering FREE CAMP COSTS again for the 2006.

Experienced planters be sure to send in your forms, spots are filling up quickly already.

Check out our wbsite, http://www.broland.ca

Does anyone have photo's from last years plant? Send them to me ryan@broland.ca
Clouch
Regular Contributor

Post by Clouch »

Any info on the free camp costs for the 2007 season?
sunshine
Starting to Post

Post by sunshine »

I've been told Wilderness will be charging $70 a week for camp costs for 2007.
Ryan
Regular Contributor

camp costs

Post by Ryan »

Camp costs will be 12 dollars a day per planter for 2007.
krahn
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by krahn »

what happened? lost money on the initiative?
salad_shooter
Regular Contributor

Re: Broland Enterprises

Post by salad_shooter »

Broland/Wilderness is out of the treeplanting game, for what reason, I have no idea.
Speaking from the point of view of a former Wilderness planter, it was an awesome company to work for (as a rookie, mind you). The crewbosses were very experienced and good people in general, along with most of the other staff. Our Project Manager was a cordon-bleu trained chef, and our cook was fantastic, so that $12 a day was some of the best money I've ever spent. Good rookie memories.
NibsNiven
Starting to Post

Re: Broland Enterprises

Post by NibsNiven »

I planted for Broland my rookie year, in Manitouwadge (1989? 1990?) I drove right to the camp from Ottawa on my motorcycle a couple weeks after the plant started.

I arrived in the town of Manitouwadge ~ 3PM and asked directions to the tree planting camp. Needless to say I got horribly lost. Just as it was getting dark I stopped the bike to rest and have a smoke. After a few minutes I barely heard faint shouting off in the distance. Even though I thought I was hallucinating, I followed the sound until I drove right into their camp, where two guys were rolling around on the ground trying to beat the snot out of each other while half the camp was hooting and rooting them on! There was a mountain of empty beer cans nearby and everyone was pretty drunk. As if that wasn't insane enough, the two guys fighting turned out to be Mike Boland and his #2 guy (I can't remember his name but his favourite saying was "Toughen up, you're in the bush!"). Boland was a nice guy but when he got drunk the fighting Irish came out pretty quickly...

Good times for sure, but I made way more money on other plants.