A&G (Akehurst & Galvani)

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
replant
Site Administrator

Akehurst & Giltrap Reforestation

Post by replant »

This thread is devoted to gossip and discussion for employees and stakeholders of Akehurst & Giltrap Reforestation.

This company is believed to work predominantly in British Columbia.

Their last known contact information is:

480 Keith Road,
West Vancouver, BC, V7T 1L7
Phone: (604) 925-8646
Last edited by replant on Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Website for this company

Post by Scooter »

This company has a website at:

http://agreforestation.ca/
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
maximus
Starting to Post

Post by maximus »

A&G is a fine company, but you gotta get on the 'B' crew with Duncan and the only way in is through a mysterious intellectual cult of bridge building, bourbon drinking flat-landers known as the Islanders.
cupcake80
Starting to Post

A&G (Akehurst & Galvani)

Post by cupcake80 »

Hi everyone! I just accepted a position with this company and would appreciate some info from anyone who's worked for them before. I'd like to know about prices, atmosphere, food etc. Any information would be helpful!!! Thanks!
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: A&G

Post by jdtesluk »

Chris and Graham (owners) are first class people, and they surround themselves with excellent leaders. You will be treated fairly, and if in camp, you will dine like royalty. Prices are as good as the market allows. At the end of the spring, you will share the happiness of the bula-tula. Few do it better.
jess
Regular Contributor

Post by jess »

Hey Cupcake,

Can you specify which contract you're going to, or give us some other info? ie. Info about their motel contracts vs. their camp contract are going to differ a little bit, etc.
At any rate, i've had a fantastic experience working in Graeme's camp.

jess
The Wolf
Starting to Post

Post by The Wolf »

Prices are back where they should be. You can't go wrong.
Last edited by The Wolf on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcD

Post by mcD »

I would have to disagree with the wolf as frompersonal experience I can say that most of thier contracts are quite good right now. you may notice he has nothing good to say about anything in any of his posts!
Mr. Amazing

Post by Mr. Amazing »

Everything about A&G is amazing!!! The prices, the parties, the people: AMAZING! The specs you ask?! Simple, they're amazing too! Your summer will be a series of amazing events, unfolding within a matrix of assorted other types of amazingness! Amazing things are coming your way!
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

jdtesluk wrote:Chris and Graham (owners) are first class people, and they surround themselves with excellent leaders. You will be treated fairly, and if in camp, you will dine like royalty. Prices are as good as the market allows. At the end of the spring, you will share the happiness of the bula-tula. Few do it better.

A and G sucks these days, you wont make much at a season with them. I worked for them for 3 years and heard all the time about how they were some great oldschool company, but the bottom line is that their prices are bargain basement. Not worth working for.

(edited out some volatity)
Last edited by TheHamsterizer on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and more importantly, some people may have very different experiences than others at companies. However, to say my statement is totally wrong does prompt me to challenge your perspective and ability to ground your statements in reality. I have visited over 100 work sites in the last 4 years, how 'bout you? I spent most of my time interviewing workers about the conditions of thier worksites, I've planted for 15 years, and have studies the history of the industry and the impact that certain individuals (such as Chris) have had on the industry. You may have had a neagtive experience there (perhaps of the sour grape flavour) but I stick to my assessment.

Few people have supported workers the way Chris has. He was a central member of the original Pacific Reforestation Workers Association in the 80's, he supported the CREW initiative (based on workers' rights), the employment standards for silviculture workers, and was a key contributor to the pesticide and fertilizer research. He also spends countelss unpaid hours to keep the economic matrices of the industry afloat so everyone can make a living planting trees. His work in this regards (through the WSCA) is focused industry wide and does not focus on his own company - there are dozens of competing members that see to that. Without this type of industry activity, silviculture in BC may likely have gone the way of the Hoedads in Washington State- note that nobody ever has good stories about making money planting in Washington.

If you want specific information on the his prices, check out the bid sheets that are public domain. You won't find him underbidding people by huge margins, and he has to compete the same way as every other contractor. Even if i put my own personal opinion of Chris aside, it would be difficult for anyone to make a factually or morally grounded statement that he is screwing over the planters without levelling the same criticism at the rest of the industry. Refer to tree-planter.com and note the hall of fame nomination for him by a planter. I think if you ask 100 planters about any given employer, someone will have a beef or a bad experience to share. In Chris's case, you will likely find 95+ people that will tell you the same I have, he is top drawer, all the way. PS: If he is a millionaire, few people deserve it more.

I give this response partially out of petty egotistical response to having my opinion insulted with potty-mouth language, but also for the fact that no specific information was provided, and the last thing we need here is more unfounded slander and cry-babying from planters that had a bad ride. I thought we got over that hill when Canadian Treeplanter closed down. So here are some facts, some grounded points supporting my position. I am not opposed to hearing from hamster if he has some legitimate points or specific information to provide. This forum is a great way for planters to share their experiences and information about companies they have visited, negative or positive. Let's just stick to relevant specifics.

cheers, Jordan
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

jdtesluk wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and more importantly, some people may have very different experiences than others at companies. However, to say my statement is totally wrong does prompt me to challenge your perspective and ability to ground your statements in reality. I have visited over 100 work sites in the last 4 years, how 'bout you?

In the past 9 years, I've probably seen about 60-70.

I spent most of my time interviewing workers about the conditions of thier worksites, I've planted for 15 years, and have studies the history of the industry and the impact that certain individuals (such as Chris) have had on the industry. You may have had a neagtive experience there (perhaps of the sour grape flavour) but I stick to my assessment.

Few people have supported workers the way Chris has. He was a central member of the original Pacific Reforestation Workers Association in the 80's, he supported the CREW initiative (based on workers' rights), the employment standards for silviculture workers, and was a key contributor to the pesticide and fertilizer research. He also spends countelss unpaid hours to keep the economic matrices of the industry afloat so everyone can make a living planting trees. His work in this regards (through the WSCA) is focused industry wide and does not focus on his own company - there are dozens of competing members that see to that. Without this type of industry activity, silviculture in BC may likely have gone the way of the Hoedads in Washington State- note that nobody ever has good stories about making money planting in Washington.

If you want specific information on the his prices, check out the bid sheets that are public domain. You won't find him underbidding people by huge margins, and he has to compete the same way as every other contractor. Even if i put my own personal opinion of Chris aside, it would be difficult for anyone to make a factually or morally grounded statement that he is screwing over the planters without levelling the same criticism at the rest of the industry. Refer to tree-planter.com and note the hall of fame nomination for him by a planter. I think if you ask 100 planters about any given employer, someone will have a beef or a bad experience to share. In Chris's case, you will likely find 95+ people that will tell you the same I have, he is top drawer, all the way. PS: If he is a millionaire, few people deserve it more.

I give this response partially out of petty egotistical response to having my opinion insulted with potty-mouth language, but also for the fact that no specific information was provided, and the last thing we need here is more unfounded slander and cry-babying from planters that had a bad ride. I thought we got over that hill when Canadian Treeplanter closed down. So here are some facts, some grounded points supporting my position. I am not opposed to hearing from hamster if he has some legitimate points or specific information to provide. This forum is a great way for planters to share their experiences and information about companies they have visited, negative or positive. Let's just stick to relevant specifics.

cheers, Jordan

I know he does a lot for the industry, I'm just saying that the money is bad. We get screwed over by the absurd quality standards they impose on us, and that's something that the bidding sheets don't show. It's one thing to ride the line and keep blocks barely passing and allow for faster planting, but it's another to demand 100%-perfect-in-every-way trees when there is no reason to.
mcD

Post by mcD »

the quality standards being asked for are exactly what the client is looking for, and while it is high it definatly isn't perfect. besides if your a good planter it really isn't that dificult. 1. SCREEF 2. cover the plug 3. CLOSE the hole . if you can't do those three things I guess you wouldn't have made a lot of money there.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

mcD wrote:the quality standards being asked for are exactly what the client is looking for, and while it is high it definatly isn't perfect. besides if your a good planter it really isn't that dificult. 1. SCREEF 2. cover the plug 3. CLOSE the hole . if you can't do those three things I guess you wouldn't have made a lot of money there.
don't forget terracing the mound, finger sweeping, back cutting and getting that perfect species ratio in every plot. I guess nobody in my camp was a good planter, because none of them made good money.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Sheesh, it sounds like it was pretty demanding Hammie. Of course, most often I have found that ridiculous expectations for quality come from the licensee of the forester that they have hired. Often the company is having its chops busted by some first year forester that has planted for 2 years and watched forests grow for two and half. These foresters ultimately hold the reins of any operations based on the level of scrutiny they apply to their checking. Even if a company is doing most of its own checking, the licensee will still have someone going over their work.

Over the last few years, a curious pattern seems to have developed i some contractual relationships. The quality checking seems to have overlapped with the bidding process. Some workers and contractors have expressed the opinion that licensees (via the foresters) will go crazy on the quality in order to claw back a bit of the bid price. The licensee wants the job done for a certain price, but the bids aren't quite as inhumanly low as the licensee would desire, so the forester proceeds to knock off a few thousand bucks here and there with some extra tight checking (ooohh, gee this block only gets 95% payment, ratios were all off). WHen you see the specifications are unreasonable (ie. grid based density expectations) this is often a tool that the licensee is using to control the contractual relationship. They want to keep the contractors down, barely afloat, and just when they seem to be getting the job done right, they ask for lower prices (or open it up to bid again).
SOme licensees have taken a different approach, and value a good relationship with a contractor that will pay good workers to do a good job. However, others have certainly taken the nickel and dime approach, which in some cases ultimately translates into the contractors pushing unusually high quality standards. Remember, the planters are guaranteed 100% payment on every tree, but the contractor can totally get screwed over by the licensee and thier checkers. I doubt that the skyhigh quality expectations were an A&G prerogative, as they would certainly rather see people get the trees in fast (=less overhead). I'm not saying that the situation was due to the factors I mention here, but most times I have found that the licensee is truly the party that sets the bar (whether it be to high or not).
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

Tolko is trying to pull those moves here in Alberta... Calling us on stupid things like underground airpockets... This is supposed to be F-layer!
3plantor
Regular Contributor

Post by 3plantor »

it is well organised and good prices but they expect PERFECT trees. nothing wrong with that i suppose. everything was fine until me and some friends left because it was just too serious and no fun. we weren't under contract and it's not against the law if you want to quit yet after a few weeks of threats from Graham Giltrap that he wasn't gonna pay us, we finally did get paid after threats from us but i then found out that he'd taken the entire camps beer tab out of my paycheck, listed it under expenses as, "other: $182". i dont even drink but Graham knows that he can argue that expense as something else if i reported it, he could say it was for anything. i dont even think you can report that?

he knows how to make money... whether you still work for him or not

classy!
mcD

Post by mcD »

If that is really what happened, then you can and should report it. your employer isn't supposed to make deductions from your paycheque and if you really want to quit there is nothing he/she can do about it. I can't really believe that this is the whole story though, and I highly doubt that the bear tab for Grahams camp was only $182! and all you people whining about perfect trees, sheesh, buck up, can't anyone do a good job anymore? it isn't that hard! there just are not a lot of places that require that kind of planting anymore and if you havn't done it before it might take a few days to learn, just like any other new skill.
3plantor
Regular Contributor

Post by 3plantor »

Yes that was the beer over tally for the last 2 weeks we worked there... there had been a party and if u know how the beer tally's work well people often get wasted and forget to mark off the beer they consume. so unfortunately Graham took exception to us leaving and dumped it on us.

there was nothing wrong with anything else. the camp and co-ordination is superb and i agree with their quality issues but everybody can fall to pettiness when they don't like something that happens. what can u do? employers are the top dogs and they fuck with you when they want, the main reason i left the industry.
dogfucker#36
Starting to Post

Post by dogfucker#36 »

i worked on the princeton contract in 2007 for a couple weeks to finish my season and found the cash to be poor. the camp was one of the best i've seen, chris seems nice, my foreman was the tightest quality nazi i've seen in 10 seasons of planting (including 5 zanzibar contracts) and for a $400+/day planter everywhere else, making $250/day was the norm here. i think that there are better places to go for quality planters.
Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat »

To 3planter: As a veteran of Graeme s side of things in the A+G scene, Im calling your bs on the $182 dollar beer tab. Dude I worked for graeme for years and MY tab alone was for 150-200 bones every two weeks! In 2 weeks that camp would consume thousands of dollars worth of liquer!! I have a good idea who you 'guy's are and if I recall you couldnt handle the specs and got in a huff and left. In my experience s of these situations it was such transient workers workers as yourself who would often come in and take advantage of the tab system at the bar because you thought you were getting the shaft on the quality specs being imposed on your trees! Numbers dont matter if everythings shyte! Learn to plant a good tree you hoser! Get over the big beer tab, thats what happens when your having fun! Your not the first planter ever to try and make up excuses on their ginormous bar tab! Lets keep the good name of A+G out of your little search for absolution!
sarge.
Screefhead

Post by Screefhead »

In defense of 3plantor , I too got stuck with someone else's beer tab the spring I worked in Graemes camp. :evil: .

The beer honor system is nice in theory . But ,there are always at least a half dozen douchebags in camp that wouldn't claim their beers. In our camp it was caused mostly by the cheap bastards that would stay behind in camp on the weekends.

Of course every week the beer tab was short so Graeme would just take extra off everyones paycheck to compensate.

I dont even drink yet had over $100 taken off my paycheck by the end of the season.
3plantor
Regular Contributor

Post by 3plantor »

cat if you're drinking 6 beer everyday which is what i think that works out then more power to you.
i agree that $182 dollars isn't alot of beer but that IS exactly what was taken from my paycheck and i repeat that i DONT drink. i cant see why you are getting so upset with that personal attack and accusing me of abusing A and G's beer tab system. all i can say is that i never drank anything. seen as screefhead had the same problem then it looks like Graeme and the guys know exactly what to do with people who try to exercise their rights.

so you know who we are? then you know it was out of order, we got on well with everybody, we didn't complain, we didn't cause any problems, we just didn't like a few things so we left. i dont know who you are but i do know that you were a good guy/gal.

also, why should i plant a "good tree" at A and G and earn 200 dollars when i can plant a "good tree" somewhere else and make 350-400 dollars. every company has their own definition of a "good tree". so that's exactly what we did, we made more money that season elsewhere.

i never said A and G were a bad company in reference to your thinking i'm draging their name through the mud so get your facts straight. everything was good but we didn't like a few things, so what? personal opinion! we were entitled to leave, we all have priorities and my priority that season was to make a certain amount of money which i needed to see me through the year and i wouldn't have made that at A and G but did elsewhere. yet we were still landed with the beer tab and i repeat that i DONT drink so that's out of order.

all these things happened, you can call bs and i can just restate what happened. you aren't gonna cancel out my opinion of graeme giltrap and A and G by belittling me. if you think graeme is some angel on earth then think again. he's a business man and he's trying to make money, i understand that but it doesn't make it right.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

ah, the endless beer list fights... I'm glad to see it wasn't just me. It's a great idea, but horrible in practice. To the guy who left early- you should have crossed your name off the list when you left. Early quitters have unknowingly bought me beers from time to time!
ironmaiden
Starting to Post

Post by ironmaiden »

The beer list got scrapped in Chris' camp. Now there's just a gutted pop machine filled with different varieties of cold booze for a twoonie. Still on the honour system though, since you can open the door whether or not you put your coin in.
I will find a center in you.
I will chew it up and leave.
Trust me.
mcD

Post by mcD »

yah, the beer machine did actually work for one day, that was great. the beer tab or honour system isn't the best idea.
Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat »

Alright 3plantor, If you dont drink thats fair enough. Graemes always been pretty reasonable and as of 2 years ago the honor system was scrapped because shit was happening. It gets hard to discern whos telling the truth on not drinking when on payday most people go WHAT at there bar tab and claim to not drink. If you didnt drink and had never been seen to be drinking Graeme would probably not argue it at all had it been brought to his attention. As far as quality of trees well thats a variable all over the board. We are all mercs at the end of the day and who hasnt jumped shipped like a rat in port when the prices are dirt! That being said companies such as a+g had thee specs in line due to the contractual obligations. Most people think its the will of the foreman to be on there ass, as a foreman there I can say we were checked rigorously by companies looking to squeeze any bargain off of full payment they could to minimize there costs. Most planters that came from past jobs of high specs have no problem making there 3 to 4 bills a day there. with less trees going into the ground to do so. And as any vet knows over the past few years this is gonna be harder and harder to do based on the downward shift in this industry. I have know personal problems with anyone speaking there opinions as we are all entitled to our own. But hey lets not compare apples to oranges. You want to know a dirty contract, check out EVERGREENS SPRINGER CREEK gig. Makes almost anything ANY planter has said is shit look like gold! Its all about perspective!

Sarge.
TheGazelle
Starting to Post

Post by TheGazelle »

TheHamsterizer wrote:
jdtesluk wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and more importantly, some people may have very different experiences than others at companies. However, to say my statement is totally wrong does prompt me to challenge your perspective and ability to ground your statements in reality. I have visited over 100 work sites in the last 4 years, how 'bout you?

I spent most of my time interviewing workers about the conditions of thier worksites, I've planted for 15 years, and have studies the history of the industry and the impact that certain individuals (such as Chris) have had on the industry. You may have had a neagtive experience there (perhaps of the sour grape flavour) but I stick to my assessment.

cheers, Jordan

I know he does a lot for the industry, I'm just saying that the money is bad. We get screwed over by the absurd quality standards they impose on us, and that's something that the bidding sheets don't show. It's one thing to ride the line and keep blocks barely passing and allow for faster planting, but it's another to demand 100%-perfect-in-every-way trees when there is no reason to.

I would like to point out that 'they' - Chris and Graeme do not set the specs, that is the job of the forestry company they are working for.
As for demanding "100% perfect-in-every-way tree when there is no reason to" ... the reason is if the block doesn't pass Chris and Graeme don't get paid, but I'm sure you know this. I can't speak for all the contracts that A&G does, but Weyerhaeuser demands a higher per cent quality than most logging companies which would be why (if you were working in Princeton) you experienced higher quality demands than you were use to.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

TheGazelle wrote:
TheHamsterizer wrote:

cheers, Jordan

I would like to point out that 'they' - Chris and Graeme do not set the specs, that is the job of the forestry company they are working for.
As for demanding "100% perfect-in-every-way tree when there is no reason to" ... the reason is if the block doesn't pass Chris and Graeme don't get paid, but I'm sure you know this. I can't speak for all the contracts that A&G does, but Weyerhaeuser demands a higher per cent quality than most logging companies which would be why (if you were working in Princeton) you experienced higher quality demands than you were use to.
You're right, the 'they' that impose the quality are not Chris and Graeme, but the 'they' that set the price are. I'd be perfectly happy planting incredible trees in grass mat for a fair price. Bottom line is that this company is not worth working for anymore. And it's not their fault, I think it's just a shitty area to work in as a company.
Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat »

Hamsterizer...do you ever shut up! You talk out of your ass alot. Who sets the prices? DO you have any clue what you are talking about? DO you think Graeme and Chris just pull out the dart board to see how badly they can stick the shaft to there crews? Prices are set by bids. Ranges of these bids vary depending on how many bids come in on said contracts. The companies must bid competitively if they have any hope of landing these gigs. So in that respect the prices are more so set by the demand and trends of the market imposed by ALL companies bidding. If your just looking to talk shite about any company that either canned your ass or wont hire you back maybe you should ask scooter on here if he can give you your own forum. Or better yet suck it up princess. Planting is about adapting and dealing with adversity, you claim to be a vet, DEAL WITH IT!

Sarge
Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat »

Mr. Amazing wrote:Everything about A&G is amazing!!! The prices, the parties, the people: AMAZING! The specs you ask?! Simple, they're amazing too! Your summer will be a series of amazing events, unfolding within a matrix of assorted other types of amazingness! Amazing things are coming your way!
[quote="Mr.

Sutton? Sutton? Is that you Sutton? Gotta be Sutton!!! HAhaha!
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

maybe you should ask scooter on here if he can give you your own forum.
There's something wrong with the php databases, so I can't create new forums at the moment. Hoping to do one for music and one for Ontario planting whenever I get things fixed. Not sure if it would be helpful having a Hamsterizer forum, but if I get a lot of requests, I'll definitely consider it.

newb

Post by newb »

I just wanted to show my support,
I believe that the “Hamsterizer forum” would bring a whole new element to “replant.ca”.
Therefore, I am in favor of the “Hamsterizer forum”
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

Hey Cat... It kinda sounds to me like ol' Hammy actually didn't say anything untoward there....

Yep, Graeme and Chris set the prices, and their bids are very much a reaction to the market. You both agreed on that.

It sounds like the only Hammy said that got you all worked up was that they weren't really worth workin for anymore. And again, he says that it's not their fault, it's just a matter of where they work; big downward pressure on prices.

So... not really sure what you're upset about.

Oh, and his dealing with it seems pretty appropriate to treeplanting: He's working elsewhere.
sgtmax
Starting to Post

Post by sgtmax »

Fair enough sebastian, im not worked up, In fact Im pretty chill. I dont even work for A+G anymore myself, not due to 'ridiculous' working conditions, but due to the fact I choose to work closer to home now. You know, in my old age and all. What makes me shake my head is that when people have a bad experience with a company they try to tell the world its shite. Like it was earlier stated, out of numerous people to work on each contract some are bound to have a bad experience. It all depends on there planting background and perspective. Im all for voicing your opinion, but lets be honest about things, state your experience/opinion and be done. Let people decide for themselves. To say companies are outright not worth working for is taking it to far. I too have had bad experiences with contracts and companies. however I dont feel the need to trash them on forums here to back up my injured ego. If people stopped trash talking on here and put there experience on instead, company profiles will emerge. Bad companies will have trends of negative comments and experiences on their threads. While good ones may have good reviews/experiences with only the odd negative reviews. At least then people could decide for themselves, which is really what these forums are for isnt it. I do think a Hamsterizer forum would be great for a chuckle or too though! First topic- Agro rant on requiring perfect trees. =Closed holes, no air pockets, proper micrositing, obstacles, no leaners, proper depth... HOW DARE THEY! IMPOSSIBLE!!

Sorry Cat for stirring the pot under your username, I didnt realize it logged you on automatically.

Sarge
mcD

Post by mcD »

some people are just bitter about having to screef. a lot of people suck at it. As I have said before if you know how it isn't that hard. As far as the money thing I thought it was pretty good, if you could do what was needed although I guess my opinion is pretty slanted biased. oh, and mr.Amazing is definatly not Sutton.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

Cat wrote:Hamsterizer...do you ever shut up! You talk out of your ass alot. Who sets the prices? DO you have any clue what you are talking about? DO you think Graeme and Chris just pull out the dart board to see how badly they can stick the shaft to there crews? Prices are set by bids. Ranges of these bids vary depending on how many bids come in on said contracts. The companies must bid competitively if they have any hope of landing these gigs. So in that respect the prices are more so set by the demand and trends of the market imposed by ALL companies bidding. If your just looking to talk shite about any company that either canned your ass or wont hire you back maybe you should ask scooter on here if he can give you your own forum. Or better yet suck it up princess. Planting is about adapting and dealing with adversity, you claim to be a vet, DEAL WITH IT!

Sarge

I like your passion, kid. Now if you would just start making sense we could have a discussion.
newb

Post by newb »

TheHamsterizer wrote:
Cat wrote:Hamsterizer...do you ever shut up! You talk out of your ass alot. Who sets the prices? DO you have any clue what you are talking about? DO you think Graeme and Chris just pull out the dart board to see how badly they can stick the shaft to there crews? Prices are set by bids. Ranges of these bids vary depending on how many bids come in on said contracts. The companies must bid competitively if they have any hope of landing these gigs. So in that respect the prices are more so set by the demand and trends of the market imposed by ALL companies bidding. If your just looking to talk shite about any company that either canned your ass or wont hire you back maybe you should ask scooter on here if he can give you your own forum. Or better yet suck it up princess. Planting is about adapting and dealing with adversity, you claim to be a vet, DEAL WITH IT!

Sarge

I like your passion, kid. Now if you would just start making sense we could have a discussion.

Congratulations, another useless post…

Remember, if you squat down, your shit will flow out easier…

Your turn
Dogmusher

Post by Dogmusher »

newb wrote:Congratulations, another useless post…

Remember, if you squat down, your shit will flow out easier…

Your turn
^... Well I don't know who's beeing useless the most ^

Bullshit ... now , everybody has its own opinion , but there's no point in attacking each other, if you think A&G is worth working for Sarge , just explain people with actual facts and experience , instead of hammering and whining because someone else's opinion offended you , would you ? What an emotional explosion !
Happy trails
newb

Post by newb »

lol. It is ridiculous, that’s the point I was trying to make. People are constantly going around talking trash on a forum?
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

newb wrote:lol. It is ridiculous, that’s the point I was trying to make. People are constantly going around talking trash on a forum?
great point! Now try contributing information at the same time, and you'll have it all figured out!
Dogmusher

Post by Dogmusher »

newb wrote:People are constantly going around talking trash on a forum?
YES.
And that forum is not that bad, seriously. People that ARE on forums are most likely strong minded people that want to share but even more impose their opinions, in some cases.. don't tell me you are surprised , come on ..
Cat wrote:DEAL WITH IT!
Happy trails
newb

Post by newb »

lol.. I really liked that last part “What an emotional explosion!”. That’s in my top 5 for sure.
Greg M.
Forum Moderator

Post by Greg M. »

Dogmusher wrote:
newb wrote:People are constantly going around talking trash on a forum?
YES.
And that forum is not that bad, seriously. People that ARE on forums are most likely strong minded people that want to share but even more impose their opinions, in some cases.. don't tell me you are surprised , come on ..
Cat wrote:DEAL WITH IT!

maybe opinionated...not too sure strong minded enters into the fray as often as it should...
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

A mind is a wonderful thing to waste.

sgtmax
Starting to Post

Post by sgtmax »

newb wrote:everybody has its own opinion , but there's no point in attacking each other, if you think A&G is worth working for Sarge , just explain people with actual facts and experience , instead of hammering and whining because someone else's opinion offended you , would you ? What an emotional explosion !
Emotional explosion. I like that one too. Only this emotional explosion is more like never shutting my mouth. done with a smile the whole time too might I add.
Sure enough, you want facts. 5 years with A+G. Contracts: P+T, BCTS, Weyrhauser. avg prices over 5 years...14cent mounds, avg ground 17-20cents, fills 22-28cents. Okanagan/Kootenay contracts, no bugs, great people, well over 90% returnee rates. These are hard to find these days of course, and I'm sure these prices have dropped in the last 2 years somewhat, due to the industry trends. Pretty sure most have dropped all over on that note. About the issue of unreasonable quality imposed on trees, I would say that yes the required specs are higher than some contracts, especially northern ones. However, If your tree quality is dialed and you are able to adapt to the required specs you will make good money with less trees going into the ground. I was taught from day one that it takes just as long to plant a bad tree as it does to plant a good tree, so why plant crap. After planting contracts like this for the last 13 years I can say that my quality is never an issue no matter where I go. Myself and many others prefer this style of planting. But hey thats my opinion and decifer this however you like. Im not going to say they are the only company to work for, or that they arent worth working for. thats for anyone to decide on their own. All Im saying is you could do a hell of a lot worse these days.
Richianity

Post by Richianity »

I was in a bad state personally when I worked for these guys (and left early). Having said that I think if you are an older, serious, consistent, quality planter you will feel pretty at home with A&G. Money wasn't great, but I've done a lot worse. We were always in the trucks at 4:30 and I'd reckon my hourly wage was higher than elsewhere though.

The douche bag/wild BC experience crowd should not apply to A&G though...don't think you'll get what you are looking for (try Blue Collar).
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

Scooter wrote:A mind is a wonderful thing to waste.
A mind is a terrible thing. It must be stopped. Before it kills somebody.
Gabe

Post by Gabe »

I just want to cast my vote for a hamsterizer forum - or maybe the admin can rename this thread
kenax
Location: in a truck somewhere in Europe: http://kenax.net/travel

Post by kenax »

With the permission of Scooter I just copied updated information from this thread to the Treeplanter’s Database found at http://hardcoretreeplanters.com/ to make it easier to view comments by treeplanters and compare treeplanting companies against one another, in the hopes that they will treat and pay their planters better.
Check out my tree planting website http://hardcoretreeplanters.com/ where I wrote down all my tips how to plant fast and all the other tips I accumulated after 7 years of planting.