CISKO CONTRACTING

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
JamesKeating
Starting to Post

CISKO CONTRACTING

Post by JamesKeating »

Looking for some information about CISKO. They don't have a website but work in the B.C, and have contract around Terrace. Has anyone heard of them, is not having a website a normal state for a small company? How else can I findout if the outfit is legit?

James
Mike D
Starting to Post

Re: CISKO CONTRACTING

Post by Mike D »

I don't know much about them, however I'll let you know once I start working for them in the next few weeks. I know they also do spacing in the Terrace area.
Tooz
Starting to Post

Re:

Post by Tooz »

Last edited by Tooz on Fri May 02, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Slashpile
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Captain Slashpile »

Dinwoodie!!!.......ab/cd rocks!!!......you guys aint fieldstoners no mo?? jeremy.....Are you gonna do little tweez??
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!
JamesKeating
Starting to Post

Post by JamesKeating »

Yes I am, please tell if you can,

James
JamesKeating
Starting to Post

Post by JamesKeating »

Ok, I *was* a rookie on a crew for Cisko. Apparently the company just lost alot of work because of extreme mismanagement and my entire crew has lost their jobs. This has left my foreman and a rookie out of work, though the vets seem to have found spots.

In seeking advice, I got a private message from someone (who has not posted in this thread). I am choosing to repost this for the benefit of everyone so they do not have to suffer through what several people are going through right now. Though I do not have great details I am reposting it here because it is consistent with what we've experienced and comes from a sincere source. The source talks about the manager for CISKO/"CYSKO" CONTRACTING.
I've worked with guys who have worked for him, and talked to foresters who have dealt with him also. He had major problems a few years back when he failed to pay almost all of his employees. He was banned from doing government contracts (at least in the Fort St. James area) because of this. He may have had to close his business at that time. If he restarted last year then saying he's only been in business for a year would be a partial truth I suppose.

I could go on but I'll stop it there. My advice would be to be careful. Make SURE you are paid in full every two weeks as per the law - including vacation pay and stat holiday pay. Don't put up with any song and dance.

ABOVE ALL - good luck with your season!!! If you're a rookie, I hope you enjoy it!
Cheers...
JamesKeating
Starting to Post

BEWARE CISKO CONTRACTING

Post by JamesKeating »

Ok, I *was* a rookie on a crew for Cisko. Apparently the company just lost alot of work because of extreme mismanagement and my entire crew has lost their jobs. This has left my foreman and a rookie out of work, though the vets seem to have found spots.

In seeking advice, I got a private message from someone (who has not posted in this thread). I am choosing to repost this for the benefit of everyone so they do not have to suffer through what several people are going through right now. Though I do not have great details I am reposting it here because it is consistent with what we've experienced and comes from a sincere source. The source talks about the manager for CISKO/"CYSKO" CONTRACTING.

I've worked with guys who have worked for him, and talked to foresters who have dealt with him also. He had major problems a few years back when he failed to pay almost all of his employees. He was banned from doing government contracts (at least in the Fort St. James area) because of this. He may have had to close his business at that time. If he restarted last year then saying he's only been in business for a year would be a partial truth I suppose.

I could go on but I'll stop it there. My advice would be to be careful. Make SURE you are paid in full every two weeks as per the law - including vacation pay and stat holiday pay. Don't put up with any song and dance.

ABOVE ALL - good luck with your season!!! If you're a rookie, I hope you enjoy it!
Cheers...
Mnky
Regular Contributor

Post by Mnky »

Jameskeating my only advice there is if you still want to plant this year, is to get ahold of as many companies as you can to get your name in the door, and on waiting lists. Continue to do this until a few weeks into the season, and hopefully with some luck you'll get a job. Almost always at least one rookie planter quits after one day of planting, and that in turn opens a door for someone else to take their place. Patience....
Hope things work out for you.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I agree. Post something about yourself in the Jobs section, with a current phone number, and tell the world that you're sitting by the phone, waiting for a call to go planting. You'll get an offer pretty quickly, as soon as someone drops out somewhere.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Mike D
Starting to Post

Re: BEWARE CISKO CONTRACTING

Post by Mike D »

Thanks for relaying this info. I was going to work this contract. The foreman Nick Hollingworth still hasn't contacted me to tell me whats going on. I've emailed him 3 times and phoned his house and still nothing. I've been planting for 8 years, for lots of different companies and have never had to deal with this situation before. This guy should not be allowed to work in this industry again if he's going to cost people work. Guess its a good thing I didn't have to work with him!
aaron

Post by aaron »

some guys from my company planted for 2 weeks with cisko after our spring contract. Every cheque bounced.
kenax
Location: in a truck somewhere in Europe: http://kenax.net/travel

Post by kenax »

With the permission of Scooter I just copied updated information from this thread to the Treeplanter’s Database found at http://hardcoretreeplanters.com/ to make it easier to view comments by treeplanters and compare treeplanting companies against one another, in the hopes that they will treat and pay their planters better.
Check out my tree planting website http://hardcoretreeplanters.com/ where I wrote down all my tips how to plant fast and all the other tips I accumulated after 7 years of planting.