Snakes?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
humble2008
Starting to Post

Snakes?

Post by humble2008 »

Hi there,

I'm going up to plant in northern ontario (thunder bay area) this spring on my first contract. I was curious about how many snakes i'm going to run into? I'm really not a fan of them :(
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Snakes?

Post by Scooter »

I have seen four snakes in eighteen years as a planter/supervisor. Not likely that you'll run into a lot. Some planters seem to be able to find one or two each summer, but honestly, I think they are dog-fucking and running around the block looking for them, instead of planting trees like they should be.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
LoudDevil
Regular Contributor

Post by LoudDevil »

scooters right, u wont notice snakes if ur keeping ur head down and planting, they really have no intrest in humans , but if you do run into one just dont bother it and it wont bother you.
TheHamsterizer
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

Snakes like warm places, so just check your sleeping bag every night and you'll be fine.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
skibum_

Post by skibum_ »

^ haha

I have only seen one snake planting and it was one that was around camp that someone pointed out to me. I have never seen one on the block. I am also not really looking for snakes. I rpobably miss a whole lot of wildlife because I am just focussed on places, 6, 12, and 18 feet infront of me.
Justin
kingjames_2nd

Post by kingjames_2nd »

There are also no poisonous snakes in Thunder Bay. In the 1 to 1 billion event that you get bitten you have nothing to worry about.

On another note I stuck my hand through some moss last year and had a salimander attached to it when it came out. When you don't expect a salimander to be crawling on you and it is, you'll definitely shit your self at least a little bit.
------------------------------------------

"be patient theres alwas some trees somewhere" - theoldman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 am
skibum_

Post by skibum_ »

There is one poisonous snake in Ontario, the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake. My biology degree is being useful, hurray.

Justin
kingjames_2nd

Post by kingjames_2nd »

I think that the range of that particular serpent only extends as far north as... parry sound? maybe Sudbury at the most extreme but I doubt it goes that far. There are no rattle snakes north of Lake Superior.

"be patient theres alwas some trees somewhere" - theoldman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 am
bravo1515
Regular Contributor

Post by bravo1515 »

Pretty much the only snakes you might run into are harmless garder snakes and, like most wildlife, they will be more scared of you.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

skibum_ wrote:^ haha

I have only seen one snake planting and it was one that was around camp that someone pointed out to me. I have never seen one on the block. I am also not really looking for snakes. I rpobably miss a whole lot of wildlife because I am just focussed on places, 6, 12, and 18 feet infront of me.
You're not missing anything- I try to keep my head up and look for anything in the treeline or whatever, but there's never anything there. It's sad. Animals hate clearcuts, with some exceptions.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
krahn

Post by krahn »

me personally, i've seen 1 snake in 8 years. and it was small and harmless. so i wouldn't worry about them. just african mounding spiders and sidehill grouchers and moose, and maybe grizzlies.
Tupperfan

Post by Tupperfan »

There's motherfucking snakes in my motherfucking piece!!!

I've seen one snake over the years, it was eating a frog and was quite afraid of me and my planting partner, but couldn't really move. Made for an interesting stop in that overgrown piece.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

fuck all you guys i see snakes all the time, i usually try to grab them as well. dont grab a garter snake that looks kind of fat. theyll jizz on you and its not cool. its 100% true but give it a shot if you dont believe me.
kingjames_2nd

Post by kingjames_2nd »

Scooter wrote:I have someone here at my house right now who suggests that the most dangerous snake in Western Canada is the one in my pants.

And there goes the professionalism of the entire message board ...
Is it venomous? Of the herpetic variety perhaps?

You know what you sould do. Call wainwright over and he can grab it for you... jizz and all.

hotis49
Regular Contributor

Post by hotis49 »

I'd hate to run into that rattlesnake! :shock:
careernetwork.us.com