Hi, my name is ...

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Hi, my name is ...

Post by Scooter »

Hey just out of curiousity, I know that there are hundreds of planters reading the forums here and there every day. Plus foremen, supervisors, company owners, technicians, foresters, nursery staff, planters wannabees, and just about everybody else under the sun.

Most of you don't actually create usernames, because (I assume) you don't have a lot to say that isn't already covered here.

However, I would like to suggest that it would be great, if you enjoy reading through the information here, that you take a few minutes and set up an account (free), make sure the "keep me logged in" box is checked, and become an official part of the community.

Even if you don't post anything anywhere else, take a moment and introduce yourself (anonymously is fine) to the rest of the board, so we see what kind of people are reading things here.

For example, "Hi, my name (alias) is Scooter, and I'm a management type person for Folklore. I read some of the posts here."

Doesn't take a lot of effort, but it would certainly be interesting to see more of the demographics represented here. And maybe connect people. For example, if you worked for Celtic and said so, maybe someone else would send you a private message and say, "Hey, this is Robert Bobert, and I worked in Hal Cooper's camp this year. Who are you? I'll be planting in Dave Wilson's backyard this year ... what about you?"

Just a thought. Mind you, like all initiatives based on the efforts of planters, this one is probably doomed from the start.

GO!
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Mike
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Hi, my name is ...

Post by Mike »

Hi, my name is Mike (shockingly, it actually is), and I worked with The Planting Company/Dorsey last year.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
Haugen
Regular Contributor

Post by Haugen »

My name is Sean, I planted for 5 years for Folklore Contracting. I planted in Scooters camp for 2 years, before moving on with my crew to a different camp. I'm from PG (so if you want info I'm probably the guy here to ask) and I currently work in the Trades (Mechanical Insulation).

I did a couple small jobs for Celtic as well, around Barrier Creek in the old fire zone.

I planted until my knees finally gave out, at which point I was unceremoniously (and without compensation from either WCB or the company) thrown out the door.

I finished 50000 trees short of 500k for my career... I might still go and get them (Scooter, planting near PG this year? Need a Special Guest Planter for a couple days?)
barnbill

Re: Hi, my name is ...bill

Post by barnbill »

i planted from 1983 till summer 1994 primarily on the coast with some southern interior and only 2 short stints up in the Prince George area. currently a small business owner in Ontario but intend on heading home to BC at some point in the next year or two. Started out years ago with Whiskey Jack Reforestation as a rookie planting all over the coast (Knight Inlet, Toba Inlet, Bella Bella, Vancouver Island etc.) and worked southern interior with Mart Resources and later a couple seasons with Coast Range (up In PG) when CR was quite a small company. Just wanted to say that those were some of the best years of my life....never realized how good until it was over.
Found this site by accident one day and just want to say Scooter , that I wish something like this site had been around when I started. (of course not many knew much about the internet back in the 80's)
Anyway good luck in the upcoming season to all of you. i know things are going to be a little rough for this season and probably next as well.
Cheers
krahn

Post by krahn »

Hi, my name is Shaylah Baugh. Oh wait, no, I spelled my own name wrong. Or maybe Krahn is just trying to lure me out of lurkdom.

C'mon Baugh I know you're out there...
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Careful, it's got no "y" in it - Shellagh.

L'Amour
Regular Contributor

Post by L'Amour »

Y hullo thar. I'm Luke. And, uh... that's all I got for an introduction.

I'm betting Shellagh has been reluctant to show her face in front of Scooter ever since she tossed her Folklore jacket in the garbage in favour of a Northern...
Um... we never did replace that jacket, did we?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I knew we should have given her the monogrammed crystal dinner set instead of the jacket.

theoderix
Regular Contributor

Post by theoderix »

Hi, i,ve been planting trees since 1984..next year will be year 26..what happened ? I have worked for many companies..too many to list..started out as a summer job..and well..life just happened..graduated university and couldn't pull myself away. Enjoy (with exceptions) reading the bantering here. It is a career i guess.
shellagh
Starting to Post

Post by shellagh »

my name is shellagh(alias) i started planting in 2004 for scooter at folklore (haugen was arounds then too) i now plant for northern in ab(all the good stuff is true).

i don't lurk krahn, i observe

i didn't know i could've had a monogrammed crystal dinner set instead of the jacket that would have made a much more dramatic folklore paraphernalia garbage toss

and incidently i did sneak back under the cover of darkness to retrieve that jacket from the bottom of the garbage can but thats just between us. uh all hundreds of us i guess

hi scooter
krahn

Post by krahn »

ah there's northern's favorite lowballer. i've heard word that back in her folklore days she wasn't such a cache drunk and occasionally even cracked two bills a day. you should see her now! most days we have to sling her tent to the block with her inside, just to get her to make camp cost. she thanks us later though. but we all love her.
Kelley
Starting to Post

Post by Kelley »

Hi my name is Kelley. I've only planted for two seasons. One at Summit and one at Folklore. This season I'm going back to Summit.
salbrecher

Post by salbrecher »

Hi my name is Stefan, i've planted for 6 years. I'm 24 and a forestry student at UBC. I've worked for Loyds, Coast Range, Bugbusters, Summit, Flatcap (in Scotland) and for the past few years i've worked for Zanzibar and Wagner. This summer I will be working for Tolko in kamloops in Timber Development.
Captain Slashpile

Post by Captain Slashpile »

Hey crustys, creamers, rooks, stashers, monkeys (if you work for videgain), junkys, pounders, trenchers and mounders:

My name is Captain Slashpile and I'm a recovering hero who would like to blow up the...uhh wait wrong meeting, thats tommorrow at the dock.

This is Jeremy Klassen comin atcha from the heart of the electronic slashpile. Ive planted for 8 years. The job changed a lot in me. Ive worked at too many companies to name. It, for me was never about money (although I've had some nice money days). It was about not feeling like a slave. It was about working hard and playing harder. It was about all the amazing people, experiences and skills I learned along the way. Im sure there'll be some smartass, high upon his perch that'll feel the need to rip my comments apart, but quite frankly, fire away as I don't care how much you plant or the money you make. I loved my job and I have a wicked photo album to carry with me to The Slashpile Palliative Care Unit. Peace, and good luck to all this season. Wish I was there, but glad I'm here.
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!
steve

Post by steve »

well shouldn't be any secret, my name is steve...
Last edited by steve on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saffa

Post by Saffa »

My names Dave and i've been an alcoholic for about 20 yearsss, moved over to canadia a few years ago from south africa, been planting ever since, love it!!
Scooter this is an awesome site, great idea!!
See you folks out there
cheerio
megamike
Regular Contributor

Post by megamike »

Hi i'm mike this'll be my first year planting and im totally pumped!!! WOOHOO!
Stiffarm
Regular Contributor

Post by Stiffarm »

Hey I've planted 4 years and worked for Brinkman (in thunderbay), Summit, Waterside, Artisan (briefly), Northern, and Dynamic. Im sticking with Dynamic in the spring > summer and Northern for august but it would be great to hear about any other juicy contracts out there. Thanks for the forum!
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

Hey, I'm Sebastian (shocking, I know..)
I'm goin into my 7th year of planting. Did my first season with Thunderhouse in Ontario (quickly realized the error of my ways), then went Hybrid 17, where I've been for every spring since. I've also done summer contracts with NGR, Dynamic, Artisan and Windfirm. Can't say I disliked any of them, but I definitely like Hybrid most, which is why I still plant (and currently) foreman there.
I love my job and the people I work with. I also like to keep finding ways to stay in school so that I can keep planting.
mullitude
Starting to Post

Post by mullitude »

hi my name is Jordan, I planted for dorsey my first year, Great company, then moved west with folklore. I like to plant trees when I can, it gives me the excuse to through away paper products casually.
dave.a
Starting to Post

Post by dave.a »

Hi I'm Dave A. I've been working in the bush since 1990 at Waterside, Roots, Smokey Lake, and came to rest for the last decade at Northern Reforestation. I'm proud of having planted over a million trees but realize that in my elder days, being a nanny for Shellagh and the Krahntastics (soon to be a Broadway musical or a breakfast cereal) is a humiliation I can hardly bare. No less than I deserve I suspect.
krahn

Post by krahn »

hahaha, aschim the block nanny. he keeps telling us that he used to plant back in the day but we have our doubts. maybe back when when they were still logging by oxen and the production expectations were a bit lower. however he does dish out some pretty advanced planting technique advice that i assume he picked up from years of drunken night-off party-shop-talk eavesdropping.
jono

Post by jono »

Last edited by jono on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L'Amour
Regular Contributor

Post by L'Amour »

1990, huh? You ever gel-guard your trees, Aschim, or was that before your time?
krahn

Post by krahn »

actually i lie i've seen dave a. plant a little bit, i think helping some rookie finish a piece. i think i also might be relegated to checking trees and imparting knowledge to others very soon.
krahn

Post by krahn »

that being said, a good checker will save a company more money than a good planter will. there's a huge difference between having someone who knows both the specs and how to meet them quickly, can can pass both on to the planter. and that can recognize quickly who needs to work on their game. and who can reason with the mills.

but that's not what this thread is about i guess... okay my name is Peter, i live in vancouver and i've been planting for 9 seasons, some shorter than others, started in manitoba and slowly moved out west, tried the coast, loved the experience but my prairie knees couldn't handle it, stayed in the bc interior for many years and then went back to alberta for the last 1.5 seasons with a really great company. which makes up for the lack of scenery. not sure my body can handle any more though, i'm hoping yes but it seems doubtful. which sucks because i don't have an Education per say, just lots of hobbies that need winters off in order to pursue. this job has ruined me for year round, 9-to-5 jobs.
eisan
Regular Contributor

Post by eisan »

My name's Amanda, from NS, although I've spent the past four years living in a van in BC and hunkering down in various places around BC during the colder months.
I've been doing bush work since 2005. I currently plant with Coast Range, brush with Stephan, and Scottish plant with Cawdor. I've also dabbled in probing, pine cone picking, fall and burn (search and distroy), pruning, and fert thorwing.
Captain Slashpile

Post by Captain Slashpile »

Eisan....eisan...where have I heard that name b4....hihi....hope you find a good waterproof sac girl. 8)
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!
jules

Post by jules »

My name is Julia and I've been working in the BC Interior for the past three seasons, mostly with Seneca. Krahn may remember me as the rookie chick that got left on the block in McLeod Lake in 2006.
jess
Regular Contributor

Post by jess »

i'm jess (shocking), and i've spent 9 seasons cooking...worked with Silvaram, Apex, Dynamic, A&G. This year is the first that i won't be going out, and i'm starting to feel the oddness of seeing spring in a city. It's a little crazy. Or is it crazy that my 'normal' means planting camp??? lol
Benny
Starting to Post

Post by Benny »

Benny no matter how often I attempt to gain *minimal*respect by changing my name back to Ben. Planted for two years in Northern Alberta and BC. The amount of culture and fun I'd absorbed in my life skyrocketed the first year I planted, so I went back for more and somehow ended up on the other side of the planet, unable to plant. I'm back at it again because some where, deep in the recesses of this squishy thing that passes for a brain, I think school will make my life easier. Then again, I think it had something to do with not breaking my back on construction sites anymore.

Building shit is one of my lifelong passions. Whether it be a mess tent or a circuit board, I'll love doing it.

I've enjoyed the hell out of most of the posts here. Good stuff.
ckd.
Starting to Post

Post by ckd. »

HI

My name is Cortney and I'm a rookie with folklore this season making use out of all the information you folks, entertaining as hell, have posted around. Thanks!
chuk
Starting to Post

Post by chuk »

Chuk here. I've been planting for a mere two years at Hybrid 17. This is a great company to work for, but since I haven't worked anywhere else, I have to take others' words that it isn't just great but possibly one of the best.

I'm actually on Sebastian's crew, who posts here and there on here sometimes. I bet he doesn't realize that I've been reading them. I can verify for any curious readers that, indeed, he is just as inarticulate in real life as his posts read on here ;) I look forward to planting with Seb this season, and for as many seasons as it takes...
theoldman
Regular Contributor

Post by theoldman »

ya i'm brian, i'm old and i'm ugly.
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

Hey Theoldman... You're not Brian C. from Terrace are you? Cause if you are, I'd just like to say you're welcome back at hybrid any time. You're awesome.

And Chuk, you warm my heart.... I swear you're gonna make me cry.

*sniffle*
jonnynewb
Starting to Post

Post by jonnynewb »

Hey, my name is jon... been planting for 4 years with coast range, bluecollar and folklore... looking forward to another season in the bush - good luck to everyone this season...
smileycanada
Regular Contributor

Post by smileycanada »

Im Pierre, Im 48 years old and I still tree plant. Im a bit slower but can still plant quality trees.
This year Im planting with a crew of highballers in Quebec. I will be under pressure to plant
4K a day which is not fun.
Happy planting
Gravy robber
Starting to Post

Post by Gravy robber »

My Name is Nate

I am going to be starting my second year on May 10th outside of Thunder bay( For Outland) under a contract with Abitibiitidigkg Bowater, hopefully they dont go out of business before they pay us. My First year I did two months around TBay and a month outside of Rocky Mountain House in Alberta. My first year was almost screwed because I wear glasses, and well for the first two weeks, I had no glasses( I got rowdy before My bus ride north and they were broken).So hopefully It will be smooth sailing this year, because poor vision, believe it or not, leads to lots of replanting.
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

theoldman wrote:ya i'm brian, i'm old and i'm ugly.
HAHAHA BOBO!! U have been outed!
roughing it in the rough
MiddleAgeMayhem

Post by MiddleAgeMayhem »

I planted for 14 seasons, then took to 6 or 7 off to do other stuff. Now I'm back, and loving it. I've planted well over a million trees I'm sure, though I haven't kept track or anything. I was green with Brinkman a long, long wasted youth ago. Since then, I've only worked for Timberline.

Treeplanting is really interesting. You get a lot of time to think, and it sort of keeps you young. I've made great friends in treeplanting, and having struggled through all the same shit together has made us brothers, in a way. Nothing seems to bother me much anymore when I'm planting. Snow, rain, steep slash in snow and rain, fertilizing, waiting around, half days, it's all just water off a duck's back now. As long as I get paid on time. But when I was younger, yeehah! I could raise shit over any real or imagined mistreatment.

I taught my wife to plant when we were in our twenties and we made good money together. That was interesting. She was a really strong planter, and some days we'd make $700 together. Maybe a little more.

It's a good life. You have to dig deep though. It beats sitting at a desk and staring out at the mountains.

Oh yeah, my name is Evan.

Cheers Y'all! Drive safe.
BurlyBuddhist
Starting to Post

Post by BurlyBuddhist »

Hi, my name is Bob Ploss. I was in the planting game for 20 years. Started on BCFS crews out of Nelson in 1971. In 1974 I helped start up Evergreen Coop. Planted about 750,000 and foreman/crew bossed another 5 or 6 million with Evergreen. Retired in 1991 and married my tree planting camp sweetie. Thanks for the site, it's nice to be able to drop into the life (without the mud and bugs).
Timberjack
Regular Contributor

Post by Timberjack »

Hi All,my name is TJ . Owner/operator here in BC.Planting, brushing fire boss, burning and anything to do with managing the bush.Great site and love reading the posts and comments :)
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

Hey, Its backcountry sister Here & Ive been at it since 1991! I do it all! I dont think I need an intro because those of U out there know who I am. I am currently doing manabitch work & scooter I missed U @ the cold storage in the loops! Had a coffee with Captian Slashpile today in the Puddle. down to K-town tomorrow & will see where me & my Pirates R off to next:)
roughing it in the rough
WvZ
Starting to Post

Post by WvZ »

My name is Bill and I was in the game for ten seasons. Mostly with Celtic as a planter/foreman/surveyor/beetle prober, then moved on the plant with Bivouac, Timberline, and did some layout, checking, and beetle probing with North Aspect. Lately I've been doing mineral exploration field work with Equity Exploration. Currently I'm unemployed :mrgreen:
"The odds are against you. There's two miles of ditch for every mile of road."
Mike D
Starting to Post

Post by Mike D »

UHHHHH..... I'm a little nervous typing here...
anyway, my name is michael and i've been planting for 10 seasons. planted for Outland, Blue Collar, Quastuco, Heartwood, Rainforest, Greenpeaks, A+G, Seneca, Fieldstone, Brinkman and Little Trees.
Planted with Captain Slashpile, Krahn and theoldman(who's not so ugly).
My wife has planted for quite a while and our 3 yr old daughter has already been to a few camps.
I'm still not a vet and fear I might be one day. Want to plant one season without bitching and then maybe retire for good.
Last edited by Mike D on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
englishsean
Regular Contributor

Post by englishsean »

Hi im Sean, i have only planted for 1.5 seasons and that was for Northern but then i have also put in 2 seasons of spray and surveying with coast to coast. Oh i also worked at cold storage with all those millions of tree's.
L'Amour
Regular Contributor

Post by L'Amour »

Hey, Siggy. How'd things go in Saskatchewan?
englishsean
Regular Contributor

Post by englishsean »

not bad at all, my crew wasn't to bad, and i had some nice creamy roads, but then we had some terrible packed roads to plant slowed us down a little, but got the contract done a day early. We have been out in the Drayton area of late bagging for the spray program that starts on wednesday, fingers crossed for some nice rainy days so i can sit in the camper and watch dvd's and get payed!!!!! how are you doin?
treeskipper
Regular Contributor

sean

Post by treeskipper »

I finished my forth year two summers back, as a tree runner. This summer ill be cooking somewhere in north ab. Im mostly a drifter, working resort towns in the winter. if theres anybody out there who planted with me, drop me a line. broland '01, wilderness '02, brinkman'03(ontario) TPC/dorsey '08 (on,ab,bc) also, most folks may know me by "duffshot" or "skip".
krahn

Post by krahn »

hello, my name is peter and after ten straight seasons (sort of), i think i'm finally, finally done.

this is my most serious attempt at retirement. not that i really want to stop, as these years i don't even have to repress the bad memories (bugs, rain, checkers) in order to want to return. but planting trees has done quite a number on my body and if i want to continue walking like a normal human being i must find a new career. thank the lord for EI and the fact that they pay tuition as long as you don't want to become anything glamorous.

but most likely i'll keep coming back now and again to plant a shift or two and see if i can keep up with the new generations, which will result in immediate injury and i'll hang around till the weekend so i can party with my favorite kind of folk once more before heading back to the grind of normal society. i'll miss you guys.