Eating a Tree.

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
LScott
Regular Contributor

Eating a Tree.

Post by LScott »

my friend is using my account to ask this question:

i've been offered a lot of money to eat a tree seedling. and i'm seriously considering doing it. i want to know if there are any serious side effects to doing this. i'm thinking a small summer pine seedling. fert, needles, the works.
anyone know if this will kill me?
if i don't die, i promise i will film this stunt and post the youtube link here.
E.E
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Eating a Tree.

Post by E.E »

Do it. Make the gene pool a little cleaner.
Gabe

Post by Gabe »

high in fibre, yummy yum yum
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

It's got to be healthier than a Big Mac meal.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well...

Try to get a tree that hasn't been treated with pesticides. And then ask if you can wash it anyways.

When you say "fert, the works", do you mean the plug? That's a lot of dirt to get down.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
Richianity

Post by Richianity »

Define 'alot of money'...

Make sure to YouTube it.
skibum_

Post by skibum_ »

I watched one guy eat a 20cm spruce seedling. Tree, roots, dirt, fert, etc. He got it all down then puked it up 5 minutes later. Make sure there is no puking clause in your contract, then do it.
Justin
Richianity

Post by Richianity »

So how did this work out?
Guillermo
Regular Contributor

Post by Guillermo »

Don't eat trees!
In my first season, during the first or second shift, one of the rookies figured he'd worked out the best method for having a tree ready and flagging the spot before he planted a tree in it. It somehow involved him holding the tree in his mouth while he tore the flag off, and then planting the tree. After about 3 hours he started vomiting, and took the rest of the day off and rested in the truck. There is some nasty shit on those trees, and eating one would be a bad idea.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

How would you even do it? Cut it up and eat it?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I know you're just itching to present a smoothie recipe here shortly.

Don't want no teeth crunching down on no vermiculite.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
newforest

Post by newforest »

dig up a naturally regenerated little seedling out of the ground
bhappy
Regular Contributor

Post by bhappy »

Just make sure this isn't you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNTuHEnjjrM
landhammerer
Regular Contributor

Post by landhammerer »

aren't the trees we plant genetically modified to grow faster?
The more flies you eat, the less there are to bite you
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

No, they are selected (in the seed collection process) to be stronger and faster growing, but they are not GM. THere are GM loblolly pine trees being grown in the lower mainland in huge greenhouses, but they are being produced for southern markets such as the Gulf States. They tend to require more intensive land treatment than one can generally manage in BC. However, GM trees are likely not far off. The said loblollies are produced to have a lower lignin content, which reduces the amount of chemicals required for pulp-processing (which could be a good thing). There are many critics of GM trees, though. I recommend reading and article called "Future Forests" to explore some of the concerns around this application of technology (bib reference below if you're keen). One may surmise that efforts to produce GM trees in our area may accelerate as growing climates shift, and we encounter needs (or wants) to grow different species in areas farther north. Or perhaps some pest-resistant pine with sap that kills the beetle. Who knows what Frankentrees lie ahead, but they're not here yet to my knowledge.

Bailey, Conner; Dubois, Mark R.; Sinclair, Peter R.. 2004. “Future Forests: Forecasting Social and Ecological Consequences of Genetic Engineering.” Society and Natural Resources. 17(7):641-650.
southwestrepresent
Regular Contributor

Post by southwestrepresent »

I watched a dude eat a tree, dirt and all for 200 trees. We were doing underplant so it was 26 cents a tree...
still not worth it
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

jdtesluk wrote:THere are GM loblolly pine trees being grown in the lower mainland in huge greenhouses, but they are being produced for southern markets such as the Gulf States. They tend to require more intensive land treatment than one can generally manage in BC. However, GM trees are likely not far off. The said loblollies are produced to have a lower lignin content, which reduces the amount of chemicals required for pulp-processing (which could be a good thing).

Who is behind it? ArborGen?

I can't find any info on growing them in BC by Googling. I can't imagine them doing it way up north and shipping seedlings way down south. I don't see why they couldn't do it cheaper in the southern US. Unless it's more a safe haven for the research in BC or something.

Here's an article from August 2007

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ArborGen+ ... 0167942216
'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry
Gingerplanter

Post by Gingerplanter »

jdtesluk wrote:No, they are selected (in the seed collection process) to be stronger and faster growing, but they are not GM. THere are GM loblolly pine trees being grown in the lower mainland in huge greenhouses, but they are being produced for southern markets such as the Gulf States. They tend to require more intensive land treatment than one can generally manage in BC. However, GM trees are likely not far off. The said loblollies are produced to have a lower lignin content, which reduces the amount of chemicals required for pulp-processing (which could be a good thing).
Have you heard of bio pulping before? it is pretty interesting, they use white rots to remove the lignins naturally with out having to use the harsh chemicals.
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

Anyone seen the movie Otesanek?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228687/
Tits
Starting to Post

Post by Tits »

It depends on how much money we're talking about here. I heard that a guy from another camp who was staying in our camp this year ate a tree and he was fine, he wouldn't recommend it though