most amazing planting chefs?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
krahn
Replant Forums Highballer

most amazing planting chefs?

Post by krahn »

i ask because a great cook/friend who was going to supply the extravagant food at my festival might not be able to make it after all, so... i'm curious who everyone thinks is the greatest cook in the industry?

i'm particularily interested in those living near the lower mainland, but just say whoever comes to mind. my vote goes to arjun from northern reforestation, he's only been retired for one year and is already a legend in the eyes of many. it also helps that northern has no real limit to their food budget.

a close second would go to some girl cooking up by fort st. james with spectrum, we quit after just two days, and the cook was even more temporamental than most, but man oh man, the food was delicious i was tempted to stay just because of that.
jdtesluk

Re: most amazing planting chefs?

Post by jdtesluk »

I have to put my vote down for the power-duo of Micheline and Alison at Zanzibar during the 90s and early 2000. Alison has retired from planting cooking but Miche is still there. My favourite all time planting meal was when they made barbecued salmon and strawberry pavlova. Good memories of veggie-butter and fresh baked bread every day, gaspacho on the hot days, and various ethnic theme nights. Of course the desserts really went crazy the year after Micheline went to french pastry school- that was something. The vegetarians were always well cared for too, not just the same stuff w/o meat like you get at some places. They never took a day off, and you could always look forward to getting home at the end of the day because they put intensive thought and care into their work. And who could forget the warped polaroid pictures all over the walls?

I've also had the privilege of travelling around the industry a lot and dining with a lot of planting crews. I have to say that Vanessa and Therese (thanks Mr. A for helping with the name!) at SOS were also amazing. Simply hands down the best breakfasts ever. They would make smoothies, and pretty much anything you asked for off the grill.

It's really hard to say any one was the best, but I think it's fair to say that these women belong to the very elite group of the finest planting chefs to ever chase a dog out of a mess tent or smack a planter's dirty hands with a wooden spoon. Respect.
Last edited by jdtesluk on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Amazing

Post by Mr. Amazing »

JD, I think you might be talking about the legendary Vanessa at SOS. She has a real depth of knock-yer-sox-off dishes... The former power duo of Kaeli and Amy at Wildwoods were pretty top notch, and a peer of theirs, Kira, is amazing as well...

I'd say that Liete(is that spelled right?) from Malcolm Island (married to a Milechewiski) is my absolute all time favourite. Her baking skills are unreal! Truly amazing food...
Last edited by Mr. Amazing on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcD

Post by mcD »

my biased vote would go to Erin when she cooked at Fieldstone.
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

mcD wrote:my biased vote would go to Erin when she cooked at Fieldstone.
I couldnt agree more!
roughing it in the rough
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

The two best cooks I've had over the years:

Karine Gauthier at Hybrid 17 and Artisan Reforestation: Not only is her food amazing, but her attitude and energy can do wonders for a camp.

Next Generation Reforestation, 2002ish: Can't remember her name (she was the supervisor's wife as far as I can recall), but oh my god was her food amazing (I'm sure it was helped by an incredible food budget). Lobster, fillet mignon, fresh bread, made to order breakfasts... My fondest memory of that company was undoubtedly the food.
Screefhead

Post by Screefhead »

Carla who cooked for Graeme's camp at A&G about 1998ish was a really good cook. One thing that I appreciated, was Carla would cook a good variety of stuff every dinner.So, if the the main meal was something disgusting like sushi, there was still something else good to eat.Great soups and fresh bread every day too.

Totally shitty company , but the food was sure good.
backcountrysister

NGR ..the Cook Name is Krisandra (sorry if I spelled it wrong) I am a harsh critic when it comes to cooking & my food allergies- She's the best! then Erin!! I will never forget the lamb she cooked..Perfect! I was there 6 days but it was awesome!
roughing it in the rough
The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer »

Krisandra gets her ingredients from a commercial food supply company and they are of poor quality compared to ingredients purchased by small-time camp cooks working in places other than Alberta and for companies other than NGR. Her food was good but relied on fat for flavor. I wasn't dissatisfied with it but it doesn't stand out in my memory. Vanessa at SOS makes some of the best food I have ever eaten anywhere, holy fuck it was good. Carla hasn't cooked at A&G for a few years, but I talk to people all the time who loved her food.
backcountrysister

I totally disagree with U bearslayer..Everyone is entitle to the taste buds! I grew up with a vegetarian hippy mother who on occasion would throw down a chicken here & there. The budget for cooks isnt the greatest- so she is getting the best she can for her little budget. I dont know when u ate her food last- but I was satisfied. It beats being fed half cooked bacon & cold spuds from a previous "cook" at little trees. I cant complain- & I oftern do!
roughing it in the rough
Mr. Amazing

Post by Mr. Amazing »

OK, aren't the campy costies like, $33 at NGR?! Fuck that shit. "Ohhhh, there's lamb AND lobster tonight?!!" Boring.
TheGazelle
Starting to Post

Post by TheGazelle »

Erin and Eylse! The dynamic duo of A&G Princeton for the last 4 (5?) years.
E.E

Post by E.E »

How about no cook? I have yet to meet a chef (planting or otherwise) who could hear honest feedback about their food without taking it personally. That doesn't stop them from endlessly soliciting it, though. One nice part of motel shows that never gets old: not having to go through the passive aggressive fagdance in the mess tent at dinner time.
Cook: "So, did you like it?"
Me, in my head: "The pork shoulder was criminally overcooked. It was like chewing on fabric. The sausages were swimming in grease, and I wouldn't feed them to the dogs. Who do you think you're fooling with that leftover soup?"
Me: "Great, thanks!"
mcD

Post by mcD »

yes, Erin(as I said earlier) and Elyse! maybe I am a bit biased, but so what? Sarah Turner from Brinkman was very good as well.
Saffa

Post by Saffa »

mmm Kaeli forsure, had her for a few weeks before she disapeared into the clutches of you Wildwood folk a few years ago, Damn her food was great!!
And Mim Andrews, such a sweet heart, and one damn fine cheff aswell!!