Where to buy decent caulk boots?

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
Slowsis
Regular Contributor

Where to buy decent caulk boots?

Post by Slowsis »

Anyone know of a retail chain which caries these?

http://currinboots.com/rubberbtwebpg/2114rublogger.htm

I may just end up ordering them online, but i prefer to try them on first to size them to my feet with Bama's.
Saffa
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Where to buy decent caulk boots?

Post by Saffa »

Marks Work Wearhouse, they only last for maybe 40-50 work days, then they die... but still my favourets anyway :roll:
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

That should cover a full season for most interior companies this year :(
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Greg M.
Forum Moderator

Post by Greg M. »

I use those frequently.
Kamloops surplus Herbies.

ONO Nanaimo, Courtenay, BC

Commercial solutions Edmonton, PG, anywhere else they are..though you may have to order them and pick them up later.
krahn

Post by krahn »

surplus herpies! i used to frequent that place. three locations... williams lake, and... wait where were the other two? are there more locations yet? great for planting supplies, and reasonably priced.
TheDain
Regular Contributor

Post by TheDain »

One of those Surplus Herbie's was in Kamloops.
My favourite caulks too - I've had pairs that lasted 150 days before, but sometimes, the rubber splits for no good reason after a couple weeks. When used in combination with another pair of boots - say one for dry days in creamy land, and these for wet or technical days, their lifespan seems to increase significantly.
They're also available at Deakin Equipment in Vancouver - where you can also get pretty much everything else you need for planting, including WorkWizer shovels.
somesilviguy

Post by somesilviguy »

uh.. from me!
newforest

Post by newforest »

I've never worn caulk boots nor even seen a pair; the biggest boot issue for me has always been convincing planters to buy quality waterproof boots instead of buying the cheapos that split open the first day they are worn.

A couple questions:

Can caulks be put on already purchased boots?

Would caulk boots help you on extreme slopes? (No slash, just light grasses over a rocky soil, but slopes over 60 degrees at times)
Guillermo
Regular Contributor

Post by Guillermo »

Caulks would definitely be better than light hiking boots, but most caulks dont have a rigid sole. If you can find the kind with a steel shank, climbing steep grades is great, but you probably wont find the actual caulks themselves giving you that much more traction on rocky dirt and grass, and if you are on steep rock, caulks suck. Caulks are also relatively heavy which makes steep stuff harder. The biggest difference maker on steep ground is completely rigid soles. They act like a step and support your weight much better.

You can get some cobblers to put caulked soles on most kinds of mountaineering boots, but it can be fairly expensive (~150$) so its probably just worth it to buy the rubber caulks and save your other boots when you dont need the spikes.
newforest

Post by newforest »

Rigid soles, thanks, I'll have to look in to that.