Costs.

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
angeldancer
Starting to Post

Costs.

Post by angeldancer »

Hey
First time planter going to Prince George in May.
A couple questions.

How much does treeplanting equipment cost?
(not the boots or raincoats or anything just the bags and the essentials for pounding the mound)

What are cost effective ways to not spend money?
(Aside from not going out for dinners, or the bars)

Im basically going there with not too much cash in hand, and want to find a way to make it work. Any help is informative.
donkeyrider
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Costs.

Post by donkeyrider »

Your going to need a little bit of cash. It is really annoying when planters show up with $0 money and expect foreman to shell out a loan before you have even planted a tree. The essentials in my opinion are bags, silvi inserts, plot cord and Shovel. Bags new run 69.99, inserts are 9.77 each... you most likely need three, and a shovel will vary I think a cheap one is like 50-60 dollars, plot cord is 6.80. Oh and you will also need foamies... they run like a dollar each at IRL in PG where you will be getting most of your equipment. You might want to also consider getting a whistle. Also depending on whether your in bush camp or motel a few bucks for some food and a tent. I think 250 is a good cash in hand value you will need to get most of the beginning stuff. Some companies will give you a small advance when you get there for food and stuff, but it sucks to show up completely broke. Also if your going to a company that uses a lot of flagging tape there is a top secret flagging place down near nicholson street tht sells easier to rip cheaper flagging tape, that fits better in the flagging pouch. Other then that good luck, and make sure you tough it out past the first 3 shifts.
Best way to kill flies: "throw your shovel at them"
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

Bags: $80
Shovel: $50
Silvis: $20
You can make a plot cord for yourself out of rope, and beg/borrow/steal a whistle.

= $150 roughly for the basics.

Check out kijiji, craigslist, and ebay for used equipment. You want Bushpro bags and a Bushpro or Workwizer shovel.

Tip for saving money:

1. Stay in camp whenever possible.
2. Save food on the last day of the shift for the next day, or get friendly enough with the cooks that they'll let you make a sandwich on day off. If you're in town buy your meals from the grocery store, and buy for several meals at once.
3. Predrink. Don't blow your cash at the bar if you are going to drink.
4. Always think about "total costs". A lot of people immediately take a bus to/from camp whenever they're going somewhere thinking it's the cheapest way, but sometimes this works out to be more expensive. I've seen people miss two days of a shift where they lose $500 in potential earnings to avoid paying an extra $170 on a flight. Also, if you end up having to take a cab to/from the greyhound, spend a night in a motel, and pay for five meals on the road, your net gain for choosing a bus over a flight might end up proving negligable or non-existant.
5. Know what the fuck you're doing (and I'd say "just don't do it") if you're female and considering hitchhiking in BC/AB (especially up North). Call someone who doesn't want to see you end up on a milk carton, and they'll probably give you (let alone lend you) the cash for a ride if you're really hurting.
6. Shop at Value Village/Goodwill for your clothes.
7. If you must go to the rippers, use $5 bills, not $20s.
Screefhead

Post by Screefhead »

Planting bags cost $100 everywhere I looked, unfortunately I had to buy a new set this year . The only shovels that can be had for $50 are the cheapie Bushpro's complete with massive blades and wrist destroying weight. Do yourself a favor and spend a few more bucks on a Workwizer.
mel_eff

Post by mel_eff »

Someone else please tell me you noticed the hilarious "pounding the mound" thing. Awesome.

If you're buying your own food for any amount of time, make sure you get a Save-On card. They're good at Coopers, Overwaitea and Save On Foods. You get a decent discount if you buy the shit they've got on for cardholders. IGA hooks you up with stamps that you can easily save up if you scrounge them from other planters as well, and you can get a free carton of eggs or pail of ice cream once you fill up a couple cards. (I was in motels pretty much all of last season, I got good at this stuff). If you find that you need a couple sets of extra socks or something, eff Mark's Work Wearhouse. The Bargain Shop, Fields, Saan Stores, or little shops like that generally have average stuff that you can destroy and not feel bad about doing so.
Expect delays.