The Wonders of Google earth - treeplanting edition

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
jayBOT
Regular Contributor

The Wonders of Google earth - treeplanting edition

Post by jayBOT »

So I am a pretty big geek. I'm also a grad student cooped up in a basement office with access to the internet and no one to really answer to. This combination of time and geeky fascination with maps and sat images has lead to inordinate amounts of time spent retracing the steps of previous plants on Google earth/maps.

While its fun to look at any clear cut that you have been in from space or high in the air, I have discovered some cool stuff.

All time best google earth image (for tree planting) is located here:http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 79043&z=13

At the zoom present in the link nothing can be really seen, but at the time this was taken (August 2006) a plant is actually underway. Zooming in and exploring you can find the bus, parked trucks and cache. Cruising north on Hwy 11 you can see the camp. Complete with weather havens, tents, and you can even make out the ring of white plastic chairs around the fire pit.

Now I thought this was just some one-in-a-million occurrence but while poking around hi-res cuts north of Thunder Bay I found this:http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 02238&z=16
So maybe its not so special...

Does anyone on here have any cool clearcut occurrences caught on google maps? Or maybe you just have some all time favorite clear cuts (if there is such a thing..) that you have worked in. Tell a little story and post the link here.

For instance biggest piece I have ever planted is in the same clear cut its roughly 18 hectares and so claaggy (CLAAG=Carefull Logging Around Advanced Growth) that my crew boss was rarely able to find me and I actually had to give directions to the deliver one foggy day so he could find his way back to the road!
TheHamsterizer
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: The Wonders of Google earth - treeplanting edition

Post by TheHamsterizer »

jayBOT wrote:So I am a pretty big geek. I'm also a grad student cooped up in a basement office with access to the internet and no one to really answer to. This combination of time and geeky fascination with maps and sat images has lead to inordinate amounts of time spent retracing the steps of previous plants on Google earth/maps.

While its fun to look at any clear cut that you have been in from space or high in the air, I have discovered some cool stuff.

All time best google earth image (for tree planting) is located here:http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 79043&z=13

At the zoom present in the link nothing can be really seen, but at the time this was taken (August 2006) a plant is actually underway. Zooming in and exploring you can find the bus, parked trucks and cache. Cruising north on Hwy 11 you can see the camp. Complete with weather havens, tents, and you can even make out the ring of white plastic chairs around the fire pit.

Now I thought this was just some one-in-a-million occurrence but while poking around hi-res cuts north of Thunder Bay I found this:http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 02238&z=16
So maybe its not so special...

Does anyone on here have any cool clearcut occurrences caught on google maps? Or maybe you just have some all time favorite clear cuts (if there is such a thing..) that you have worked in. Tell a little story and post the link here.

For instance biggest piece I have ever planted is in the same clear cut its roughly 18 hectares and so claaggy (CLAAG=Carefull Logging Around Advanced Growth) that my crew boss was rarely able to find me and I actually had to give directions to the deliver one foggy day so he could find his way back to the road!

Let me be the first to say.. YAWN.

I meant to say fascinating. Fascinating!
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
jayBOT
Regular Contributor

Post by jayBOT »

TheHamsterizer wrote: Let me be the first to say.. YAWN.

I meant to say fascinating. Fascinating!
Ha! Like I said; I find it interesting. Then I wondered if anyone else had done/found anything similar. Not like I was showing off my GPS tracks...
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Ironic timing ... I just sent out my first "Google Earth" camp location to all my planters earlier today, to assuage their never-ending curiosity.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
3plantor
Regular Contributor

Post by 3plantor »

once again hammy strikes with superfluous optimism!
SwampDonkey
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by SwampDonkey »

I've also used Google to take a look at York Factory near the Hudson's Bay, actually a few KM upstream on the Hayes River. God forbid, but I know some of you don't even know what it is thanks to this country's efforts to suppress history of this country in schools. Hard to find a good P. C. Newman book anymore. You can also use a planimeter feature in Google to measure your clearcut for the area you planted. See how much the boss shaved off the area he paid you to plant. Muhahahaha. :D

Here's a bird's eye view

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=57.0 ... 7&t=h&z=18

Google Planimeter

http://www.acme.com/planimeter
'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry