Rookie Mentor

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
steevesy
Starting to Post

Rookie Mentor

Post by steevesy »

I am the rookie mentor in my tree planting camp this summer. The job entails holding meetings with the rookies in my camp and to basically help them get past the learning curve of tree planting. I am looking for any tips that people have about tree planting so that I can have a lot of information to present to the first year planters in my camp. Any insights about planting from camp life to tricks of the trade while on the block would be greatly appreciated.
Gabe
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Rookie Mentor

Post by Gabe »

talking to rookies in camp is great, but for best results you need to spend time with them in the land. Those first few weeks they need to learn their slash legs and build up strength carrying trees in their bags. It's most useful for them to see how a pro moves through the ground and how to approach slash and obstacles. You also want to show them how to read natural boundaries sooner rather than later and that's always done best in a block. Once they build some strength and have a conception of what needs to be done in the land, their speed will come naturally, but it's always most useful for any rookie to see someone push the envelope
TheDain
Regular Contributor

Post by TheDain »

A rookie only needs to start with two things to ingratiate him or herself to their foreman and their crew

-Hit all the stumps
-Never be late to the truck
MiddleAgeMayhem
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by MiddleAgeMayhem »

Be on time. Always.

Keep rookies separated. They won't learn squat from each other.

Keep the effing cache area clean.

Keep good track of their own gear at all times.

It's fun and amusing to be cynical about treeplanting, but like anything else, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Ask questions sparsely, then actually listen to the answers.