Screef Screef, Money Money...

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
MarkDoyle
Regular Contributor

Screef Screef, Money Money...

Post by MarkDoyle »

Last summer I went tree planting for the first time and they taught us to screef before planting... Then I watched a highballer and noticed he rarely screefed at all... Only when he had to, so obviously I started doing the same... I was just curious to find out who decides if that is necessary in the first place... Supervisor or checker?

I'm headed out West again this year... Anybody want to tell me how much more money they made the second time around... Just give me a ballpark figure for both your first and second years... Curiosity is killing me......
dreamofcream
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Screef Screef, Money Money...

Post by dreamofcream »

you will make more money, hopefully lots more. The mill your working for determines planting specs (screef, no screef, density, blah) and if you dont screef when your supposed to eventually you'll get caught and pay for it
jayBOT
Regular Contributor

Post by jayBOT »

The client decides whats necessary. Your company checker, crew-boss, and supervisor are responsible for effectively communicating the clients needs to you and auditing your quality to keep you up to snuff.

Um... yeah screefing takes time if its not required don't do it. Some clients don't require a "dinner plate" size screef and are happy with a tight-plug at the required depth and laterals in the sun. If thats the case you could just be doing a quick hand-screef while planting the tree. Again, I would put the responsibility on your crew boss to help you get faster without jeopardizing quality requirements.

How much does a 2nd year planter make? Depends on the quality of your contract and how good you are of course but I typically see 2nd year planters average at least 200$/day and I spend my springs crew bossing some not-so-nice Ontario contracts. Of course I could see those contracts being worse depending on who was running it...

Good luck!
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by newforest »

the more you plant, the better you get at reading the ground and taking what it gives you. my favorite is to move a rock or piece of dead wood out of the way to get at some mineral soil as easily as possible.... long thread here about this topic just recently too, forget which forum.