Foot Blisters

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

Foot Blisters

Post by newforest »

I have had calloused feet for almost 20 years now and have never had an issue with these. But new planters who have never even held a job before, well this is where the old timey word 'tenderfoot' comes from.

So what is the best advice for this problem? I bought some Moleskin and some spray product called 'Blistoff'. Any other ideas?
TheHamsterizer

Re: Foot Blisters

Post by TheHamsterizer »

Thin polypro/cotton socks with wool socks overtop. Gold Bond in the morning and after work. Boots that fit properly and are broken in... I don't know, maybe it's unavoidable when you first start.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

Duct tape heel guard BEFORE anything begins to develop.
jayBOT
Regular Contributor

Post by jayBOT »

Good tips above, but proper fitting boots is the real key. Often people buy boots that are a "little" to big to accommodate extra socks or something but your not walking around on construction site anymore. If you're foot can slip around in your boot at all ie. your heal lifts slightly when moving forward or slides forward when screeffing your going to get blisters. If your working out west its easier to fit some proper hikers but if your required to wear steel toes it can get a bit difficult (and expensive). Make sure your not cramming your feet in but I advise on going smaller rather than bigger. Your boots once they get broken in (and soaked) will expand.

PS the mole skin is useless. If your boots are causing the blisters it will roll up into an uncomfortable ball on your first bag. Use a small amount of moleskin (or gauze or toilette paper for the ghetto types...) on the tender area and then cover with a generous amount of duct tape.
mel_eff

Post by mel_eff »

The best way to prevent blisters is to not go tree planting. q
Expect delays.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I had a girl in my camp last year who I ended up picking up off the block one day fairly early in the season. I asked how her day went. She said, "Pretty good. Except my toe was sore at lunch, so I took my boot off and one of my toenails was digging into another, and my boot was full of blood."

I said, "Oh, that's not good, how did you deal with it?"

She replied, "I chewed it off."
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)