Custom Caulked Boots

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
Evergreen
Replant Forums Highballer

Custom Caulked Boots

Post by Evergreen »

We recently had a planter lose their footing and sustain a pulled back muscle. This took place on a slashy coastal block. the slash was mostly small diameter sticks. She was wearing custom caulked boots. I've never liked regular rubber caulked boots as I find them too heavy. I've had a few pairs of hiking or work boots custom caulked over the years and really like the lighter weight.

As part of the investigation into how the injury took place and what we could do to prevent it happening again, we looked at her caulks. They were sharp, so no problem there. What was interesting was that there was a significant gap between the heel of the boot and where the first caulks were placed. In this case the gap was 5 CM where off the shelf boots have a gap of 3 CM. The 2 CM difference isn't very much but it increases the risk that small branches can fit into that small space and not get caught by the spikes.

There was no definitive proof that this was the cause of the injury. However it would be wise for anyone getting their boots custom caulked to make sure there is the smallest gap possible between the heel and where the first spikes are set.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Custom Caulked Boots

Post by Scooter »

Is there any chance you could provide a photo at some point?

In the past, I've occasionally removed quite a few of the alternating caulks from the bottom of my boots. Less caulks makes the remaining ones dig in better, because there is more pressure on them. It's the same concept as the "human pin cushions" in India. It's easy to lie on a bed of nails where there are thousands of them. Not so comfortable when the number is cut significantly.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)