Potentially Offensive Terminology

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I'm including this paragraph in a newsletter that I'm sending out to everyone in my camp later today. Some other people on the board might find this to be something to think about:

When a crew is finishing up a block, it occasionally happens that a number of planters all get thrown into a piece for the last hour or so to finish things up quickly (especially on the last day of a contract). For a number of years, myself and other people have called that a “homo plant.” My understanding of that term was that it was shorthand for “homogenous,” as in “a large group of people working together so that it is difficult to distinguish which trees were planted by any particular employee.” However, it struck me this year that this term could be considered to be offensive to some people who might confuse it with a derogatory term relating to sexual orientation. I don’t want to see any discrimination or comments which might make certain people feel uncomfortable, so I’d like to request that everyone in my camp start referring to such group planting as “cattle plants” from now on. That seems like an appropriate and non-offensive term with no uncertainty as to its meaning: the foremen and checkers are usually herding people around like cattle to make sure that the areas get wrapped up quickly and efficiently. Obviously, our foreman will be doing everything possibly in terms of block organization to avoid any group planting situations like this, but sometimes it happens.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Rob the Checker
Starting to Post

Re: Potentially Offensive Terminology

Post by Rob the Checker »

Hmmmm, never heard it called a homo-plant, but I've seen lots of "cluster-fucks". And the occasional cattle plants.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

I've heard cattle plant maybe 60% of the time, homo plant 20%, cluster fuck 15%, and "fuck this I quit" 5%.
Screefhead
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Screefhead »

I often hear group planting referred to as gang bangs. I also find it offensive when a checker says planters are "slutting " in too many trees.
L'Amour
Regular Contributor

Post by L'Amour »

Yeah... I've only ever heard "clusterfuck".
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

I saw this notice hanging in a logging camp:

http://www.columbia.edu/~sss31/rainbow/ ... guage.html
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Tupperfan

Post by Tupperfan »

Well, regarding such a situation, I only heard of "queered plant", from old slang meaning "to ruin or thwart" or "to put someone in a bad position" (source). Comes from the old days of 1910's planting in the UK (Planters back then smoked even more fags)...

More seriously, I never heard the expression homo plant before. Clusterfuck and cattle plants yes, homo, no.
MiddleAgeMayhem

Post by MiddleAgeMayhem »

Herd plant, or gang plant, or cocksucking motherfucker plant.
Mike

Post by Mike »

At The Planting Company, Dorsey, Windfirm and Elf, I'd say cattleplant got 90% use, and other (clusterfuck, sometimes something weird like "line or sweep") the other 10%.

Folklore, I'd say homo 50%, other 50%
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd