Tundras in the bush?

Here's a chance for all of us to discuss various issues related specifically to vehicles, mechanics, and things with motors or engines.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Tundras in the bush?

Post by Nate »

Anyone have any feedback on Tundras in the bush? I've only seen a couple of them used by planters, not sure how they hold up long term.

Payload is a real problem - forget a FIST - but their towing isn't half-bad.

Not that it could be used as a crew vehicle, but as a checker/supervisor vehicle, anyone have experience with them?
Brandini
Regular Contributor

Re: Tundras in the bush?

Post by Brandini »

I've seen a Tundra used for the 3-4 planter 'special mission' or 'clean up' roll. And as a tree runner's/supervisor vehicle, secondary crew vehicle (with a F-350 & fist), and an ETV. Even seen a Tacoma used daily for 'clean up' with 2 people, that system worked really well.
chrisdunn
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by chrisdunn »

On water bars, the departure angle sucks with a quad on the back.

Remember it's a half ton. She's going to drop with a bit of weight in the back.
Tnalp

Post by Tnalp »

Owned one since 2007; CrewMax version. Awesome truck. Not the same creature as a 1 ton F350 etc. though. I installed a levelling kit and put some airbags on it. Handled 4 workers and 1000 lbs of cargo no problem.. except for the loud sucking sound of gas being consumed at a crazy rate!!
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

You're close to 20l/100km on average with that?

Did you beef up the shocks at all or have you had to change them out frequently? Sounds like the air bags/levelling was a good investment?

What tires do you run? I've heard a lot of good things about the Goodrich All Terrain and the Wrangler Duratrac as all purpose highway/bush.
Tnalp

Post by Tnalp »

I have 170 000 Km (half of those logging roads and deactivated roads) on it with the same shocks. no problem. It is the TRD package.
I am on my 3rd (or 4th?) set of Kal Tire - Nitto Extreme Duty - Great Tire. About 385 $ a tire!
The Rev

Post by The Rev »

I have found that BFG All Terrains are an excellent choice. They do everything well. Some tires are better in specific applications, or are quieter on the highway (etc.) They're pricey, but not the most expensive.. Keep them balanced and rotated and they will last a solid number of Km.

Not 100% sold on the Tundra's in the bush. The first couple of production years of the current generation had some tranny issues. I think they have solved that in recent years.
shawniganlaker

Post by shawniganlaker »

On tires,

I`m 100% sold on the Toyo M-55, both on the F350`s and the Tundra. Super durable coastal tire (Handles the Blast rock). People will tell you the Nitto HD Grappler is the same tire but my experience is that it is NOT !

I`ve run the BFG AT prior and liked it but the Toyo has a longer tread life.

I have a Tacoma TRD CC for a run around truck...Weak springs, and all the panels are rattling loose but the nuts and bolts are great. Even this little truck is very thirsty !
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

shawniganlaker wrote:On tires,

I`m 100% sold on the Toyo M-55, both on the F350`s and the Tundra. Super durable coastal tire (Handles the Blast rock). People will tell you the Nitto HD Grappler is the same tire but my experience is that it is NOT !

I`ve run the BFG AT prior and liked it but the Toyo has a longer tread life.

I have a Tacoma TRD CC for a run around truck...Weak springs, and all the panels are rattling loose but the nuts and bolts are great. Even this little truck is very thirsty !
I've heard the M-55's are bad on pavement at highway speed - rear end fishing. Any experience with this?
shawniganlaker

Post by shawniganlaker »

They are a harder rubber than say a BFG which has a softer texture. I have not had problems with them on the Highway, but that's not to say they might.
I look for puncture and cut resistance first in a tire, doing the majority of my work on the coast. In this respect I feel they are unparalleled, though I'd love to hear about other bulletproof brands. Traction in snow and mud has been up to snuff.
On the Taco they do break loose on pavement if you stomp on it but that's more the light truck.
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

Lots of Tacomas in the bush here by the forest company checkers. There is going to be one more this spring as I'm buying one myself for thinning. A big pickup truck on our poor forest roads will rattle and bounce to hell and back and often too wide for roads brushing in and too heavy for the wet holes. Four cyl is the way to go.
'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry