2 month old gas in a chainsaw?

Here's a chance for all of us to discuss various issues related specifically to vehicles, mechanics, and things with motors or engines.
steel8909
Replant Forums Highballer

2 month old gas in a chainsaw?

Post by steel8909 »

Hey guys,

My friend's dad wants me to take down a tree for him. I'm using a STIHL MS250 so I'm not even gonna get through a tank of gas. I have some left over mix (94) from 2.5 months ago, is it bad if I use it for a small job? The gas has just been sitting in my unheated garage, chainsaw sitting in my basement with no gas in it.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: 2 month old gas in a chainsaw?

Post by Scooter »

If it was mixed properly at the start, it should be fine.

I prefer to use freshly mixed gas after six months, but for less than that, if the gas was stored properly, it shouldn't be a big deal, especially since you're only talking about a tank. If you were talking about several jerry cans full, I'd be questioning how you got yourself into that situation, and pour the mixed gas into an old car or truck (yes, despite the 2% oil) and use fresh for the chain saw.

If the saw has been empty, that's good. That's the way a saw should be stored.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
steel8909
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: 2 month old gas in a chainsaw?

Post by steel8909 »

Started it up today with only 3 pulls, works fine! I'll see if my friend's dad wants to dump the left over gas in his truck or something lol