Twitter

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
hobohighballer
Regular Contributor

Twitter

Post by hobohighballer »

Anyone tweeting from the block this season? I'll be doing so (when there's service) at @soilbaron, plus tweeting random planting stuff in the meantime.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Twitter

Post by Scooter »

Timely that you mention this. I just set up an account earlier tonight:

http://www.twitter.com/SilvicultureCan
(I wanted SilvicultureCanada, but there's a 15-character limit on usernames, and all the other logical shorter ones are taken).

I'm not going to use it to follow very many people, but I want to put together a weekly paper.li publication with silviculture news, to put on a general "basic information about Canadian silviculture" website (not built yet).

That website will be a bit different than Replant, more like a professional and simple info source that explains what Silviculture is (since a lot of people including dictionaries don't know the term), and to list some of the activities that it encompasses: planting, brushing, surveying, pre-commercial thinning, fire-fighting, seed collection, etc. Probably a short professional info video about each of those activities, some links to other Canadian silviculture resources, and a gallery with maybe a dozen or so photos about each. Replant, in contrast, would continue to focus more on the planting industry and would also continue to be the community resource, a little less professional. ie. no changes to Replant from its current form.

Paper.li is an automatic newsletter publisher. Basically, if you give it your Twitter account handle and access, it scrapes content from people you follow (not blindly, it's actually got really good content quality analysis algorithms). It then publishes a paper about that content. Most people publish on a daily basis, although I'd set mine to be weekly.

The point of a Paper.Li publication is basically to curate news for yourself. So if I don't feel like reading my own twitter feed and skimming it for the best stuff that I might be interested in (content-wise, not just random commentary), I can look at my own paper each day, and it lays out the best links in news form, so it's like my own personal magazine, tailored for myself. But many people have discovered that this content is useful to other people, when you set up your paper well. To do that, you just have to be cautious with your followers.

For example, I follow a couple hundred people with my http://www.twitter.com/djbolivia handle. Some of them are close friends and people that I've bartended with. Many of them are A-List global DJ's and producers. Many others are well-known Canadian indie bands. Some are just local musician friends. Some are companies that produce gear/software related to audio engineering or music in general. Because it's a mix of electronica-based music mixed with Canadian Indie, plus my friends talking about everything from US conspiracy theories to global women's rights issues, it wouldn't exactly generate a logical publication at Paper.Li.

However, with the SilvicultureCan account, right now, I'm only following five accounts. All five of them hopefully publish content which is reasonably professional and related directly to silviculture. So hopefully, once I set up a weekly Paper.li publication, it should be of interest to people who want to read links and relevant content about silviculture and forestry, and related issues. That way, forestry professionals across Canada might find it worth subscribing to. I'll have to be pretty careful about who I add. If I start adding a bunch of random planters and most of their posts are about the size of the poop that they just had on the block, I'll probably have problems with content generated in the silviculture publication.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for people on Twitter that I should follow, let me know, either here or by emailing me at jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Hopefully I can find a dozen or so foresters from across Canada with Twitter accounts, and people like that. The accounts don't have to be 100% professional and 100% work-related, but they should be mostly work-related and "no poop stories."

I'll post a link to the Paper.Li publication here, once I get it set up. I could do that in about ten minutes, but I'll probably wait about two weeks until I find some more people to follow, and get a chance to start putting the website together. I hope to have all of that done within about two to three weeks.

By the way, here's a link to an example publication. This is one that I read compiled from a bunch of accounts relating to space, NASA, astronomy, etc. This one is set to a very aggressive publication schedule (3 times per day) so don't subscribe to that unless you want an email with a link to the paper three times a day: http://paper.li/orbitalblue/1346884066
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
theBushman
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by theBushman »

Sounds like a neat service Scooter.

I plan to tweet, but mostly I intend to blog every few days and update from a resort near camp.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Let me know the link to your blog. I can always subscribe to it (hopefully you have RSS set up, since I have an RSS reader tied in with my email, but I can also check manually once in a while if needed). When I see interesting posts, I can just post them myself as tweet links, and those would also be aggregated by the Paper.Li newsletter.

hobohighballer
Regular Contributor

Post by hobohighballer »

Scooter wrote:
Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for people on Twitter that I should follow, let me know, either here or by emailing me at jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Hopefully I can find a dozen or so foresters from across Canada with Twitter accounts, and people like that. The accounts don't have to be 100% professional and 100% work-related, but they should be mostly work-related and "no poop stories."
Check out @workingforest perhaps. It's a forestry industry magazine that (very) occasionally has stories on siliviculture. The industry forecasts and info about logging practices aren't precisely what you're after in terms of silvi news, but it's certainly related.

From my brief experience searching for- and linking to- planting related twitter stuff on @SoilBaron, it seems that twitter is fairly *ahem* barren in terms of treeplanting activity. This, of course, could change rather quickly and I might be looking in the wrong places. I'll be following your feed to see what you can dig up
East

Post by East »

I set up an account a month ago and haven't really got into it yet. Would be nice to follow some planting folk this season though. @bush_hooligan
mel_eff

Post by mel_eff »

@FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK_TWITTER
Expect delays.
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

@FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK_TWITTER trapped upsidedown in slashpile bees emerging send help lol
Greg
Regular Contributor

Post by Greg »

In an ideal situation, twitter would be an good addition in the planting world. Sharing information like price, land and specs on a that format would be sweet for quick comparisons. It would clearly identify who is offering the best situation. I dont think the majority of planters would buy into this, but surely there would be one planter in every camp that would have an interest in adding some transparency into the industry.

Mel, hitting the bush again eh, would've been sweet to have ya back!
Keep on sluggin away..
East

Post by East »

mel_eff wrote:@FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK_TWITTER
Yes this is also something to keep in mind. F*ck twitter.
theBushman

Post by theBushman »

There is a lack of good content, but there is some good reading out there, mixed between the bowel movements and recycled wit.

@ForestTalk is a good one
@WorkingForest is a little slow
@FPAC_APFC
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram
mel_eff

Post by mel_eff »

Greg wrote:In an ideal situation, twitter would be an good addition in the planting world. Sharing information like price, land and specs on a that format would be sweet for quick comparisons. It would clearly identify who is offering the best situation. I dont think the majority of planters would buy into this, but surely there would be one planter in every camp that would have an interest in adding some transparency into the industry.

Mel, hitting the bush again eh, would've been sweet to have ya back!
Decided against hitting the bush again, back to school for this kid...Have a good season Greg!!!!!
Expect delays.
Gual
Regular Contributor

Post by Gual »

There needs to be a topic hashtag for this season. However, #planting13 #plant13 #planting2013 are all taken over by farmers.

Therefore, I suggest we use #treeplant13 for this season.

I'm @aidenplant
hobohighballer
Regular Contributor

Post by hobohighballer »

Gual wrote:There needs to be a topic hashtag for this season. However, #planting13 #plant13 #planting2013 are all taken over by farmers.

Therefore, I suggest we use #treeplant13 for this season.

I'm @aidenplant
That's a great idea. I'll start using that one.
Halibutjip
Starting to Post

Post by Halibutjip »

Im going to twitter between bag ups for at least 20 mins.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I think that #treeplanting seems to be a popular hashtag, although it is being used by all kinds of people for tree-things not related to Canadian reforestation.

Also, the handle that I started last year is going to have my "tweets from the block" during coastal planting for sure, and maybe during the Interior season too. Except that they won't actually be tweets from the block. They'll be from the motel room after supper, because I have WILLPOWER and I refuse to look at my phone for email/facebook/twitter or anything else other than a time check during the planting day. #willpower #priorities

http://www.twitter.com/SilvicultureCan

hobohighballer
Regular Contributor

Post by hobohighballer »

It would be nice to have a more specific hashtag since, as you say, #treeplanting is flooded with earth day heroes i.e. high school "treeplanting" field trips. I suppose #treeplant14 could work for the season, although #treeplant13 didn't exactly catch on last season. Maybe there's a general hashtag to be coined?

(I say think up tweets on the block but compose and send them from g-d truck, mess tent, or shitter)

http://www.twitter.com/soilbaron
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Yeah, I looked at #treeplant13 and that didn't seem to work. #replant might work. It isn't used that frequently, and I think use by treeplanters would generally flood out the rest of the users. I only see three recent uses of that hashtag since February 1st, although that might be the way that Twitter's algorithm displays incidents. I'll try it for a few days and see what happens.