2014 Public Bid Results

This forum is used to collect the results of some of the most popular threads, the annual bid results.
Scooter
Site Administrator

2014 Public Bid Results

Post by Scooter »

If you're trying to find public bid results yourself, here's the easy way:
1. Go to https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/bcts/
2. Go into the "Business Area" that you're interested in (green tab, fourth from right).
3. Go to "Contract Opportunities" (left side, sixth item down the list).
4. Click on "Tender Opening Records" (green underlined link at bottom of main text on page).
5. Click on the link for the folder for the relevant fiscal year (blue underlined text link). By the way, you can check the dates on the left, if appropriate, to see if there have been any recent updates.
6. Click on the appropriate PDF that you want to see.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just starting a thread now in anticipation of the Fall 2014 viewing/bidding season starting in roughly a month.

As always, planters (and contractors) would like to see higher prices for work done. Prices have risen since a bottom a few years ago, after the global economic problems that started in 2007, but they have not yet recovered to the full levels that we would all like to see. In the meantime, inflation has been creeping upward. Even if tree prices were to match their historical highs, the costs of being a tree planter or of running a planting company have climbed in the interim. If you're a planter, you're paying higher prices for transportation to the job site, gear, food on days off, laundry, and of course your annual living expenses outside of the planting world have also climbed. If you're a contractor, you're seeing higher costs for expenses such as wages, fuel, vehicles, food, and dozens of other critical items. So in one respect, planters and contractors are very much united ... we all need to see higher prices.

I took a look at the bid prices from the fall of 2011, two years ago. I was studying them and I noticed an interesting trend. As time passed throughout the viewing season, prices climbed. See the two graphs below (the trend was significantly more noticeable in the northern part of BC):

What can we all learn from this? Well, the lesson that I took away is that contractors are more cut-throat in their bidding on the first bids. This makes sense ... none of them have won any public-bid contracts yet. They all have the fear that they're not going to get enough work.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE FEAR.

Seriously, wouldn't it be great if all contractors sat back and exercised a bit of restraint about those first couple bids that are opened? You've got lots of time later in the season to chase after other contracts. But if EVERY contractor exercised some restraint at the start of bidding, it would send a reassuring message through the industry, that prices CAN be higher.

Incidentally, remember that the data set I'm using above is from a time 24 months ago when conditions in the industry were different than they are now. There's a lot more work out there now, which is great, because contractors CAN afford to exercise restraint. In 2011, everyone was afraid that they wouldn't have any work. We know this year that there is a lot of work out there.

Anyway, the message is that if you're a contractor who is reading this, please think about what I've said. You hold your fate in your own hands. It would be great if the first public bids that were opened were higher than the bids last year, and you could all sit back for a few minutes and think, "Hey, 2014 could turn out to be a great year for us." You don't have to chase volumes if you're winning bids at profitable contribution margins.

For reference, here's the data set that I used to make the above graphs. I made these graphs ages ago, but forgot to post them here last fall. Lines shaded in orange are southern contracts.

Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
whitepickup
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: 2014 Bid Results Thread

Post by whitepickup »

Scooter wrote:
Seriously, wouldn't it be great if all contractors sat back and exercised a bit of restraint about those first couple bids that are opened?

Anyway, the message is that if you're a contractor who is reading this, please think about what I've said. You hold your fate in your own hands. It would be great if the first public bids that were opened were higher than the bids last year, and you could all sit back for a few minutes and think, "Hey, 2014 could turn out to be a great year for us." You don't have to chase volumes if you're winning bids at profitable contribution margins.
The WSCA has invited contractors to meet in Kamloops on September 5th to discuss some of the point you have highlighted. Me thinks it would be great if everyone encouraged their respective employers to participate at this event.
salbrecher

Post by salbrecher »

What are the R squared values for the regressions? Given the small data set and not controlling for different types of ground I would question the statistical significance of the results.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

You're correct that the apparent results may not be statistically significant. I'd need to bring in data sets from a number of years, and do a lot more comprehensive work.

But even if the theory about contractors bidding lower at the start is numerically invalid, the recommendation to bid higher at the start can't hurt.

mcD

Post by mcD »

Scooter, while your theory makes sense and I have thought the same thing sometimes, something else to think about is that near the end of the bidding season companies that haven't got enough work yet are going to start putting in some silly prices to make sure they get SOMETHING. I either viewed or worked on a good chunk of the contracts in your southern data set, and the contracts that came latter in the season were a fair bit more demanding (Kootenays and Clearwater) than those that came earlier (Cariboo, Okanagan). while the price per tree may be higher I think it is questionable as to weather or not the contracts were any better.
mcD

Post by mcD »

As well, Merritt and Kamloops should be incuded in your Southern Data set
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

something else to think about is that near the end of the bidding season companies that haven't got enough work yet are going to start putting in some silly prices to make sure they get SOMETHING.
That's a good point. But if that's the case, wouldn't it mean that this influence would drive late-season bids down? So if that phenomena didn't exist, then theoretically, prices at the end of the season would be even higher. Therefore, this would actually support the theory.

Having said that, I think in a true scientific experiment, we'd have to have data taken over a number of years, probably at least a decade, in order for it to be deemed statistically significant. And if that were the case, then we could also study the effect of the industry's ability to absorb volumes. The point that you brought up would make sense in any year when there wasn't enough total volume to satisfy all industry participants. It would not make sense in a year when the industry couldn't handle all potential volume, and therefore there wouldn't be anybody at the end who is bidding low for that last kick at the can. And incidentally, I don't think that these two scenarios play out 50% of the time each. An influencing factor would be the small group of companies who decides that they want to expand rapidly to take all available work, even though historically I think that this idea doesn't always pan out well for companies because it strongly dilutes their worker experience ratio.

As for areas, I agree with your thoughts about Merritt. I'm not sure why I didn't include them at the time. Perhaps because that particular contract was a really easy treated contract? But I wouldn't agree with your thoughts about Kamloops. All the Kamloops contracts that year (and most years) are pretty simple, easy ground. They usually have more in common with northern Interior contracts than southern Interior.

Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

BCTS-Fort St.James-Vanderhoof
PL15TJE002 - 785,183 trees - Opened Sept.12

$207,403-26.4-Seneca
$214,590-27.3-Summit
$261,941-33.4-Folklore
$268,044-34.1-Torrent
$268,224-34.2-Blue Collar
$279,483-35.6-Coast Range
$289,712-36.9-Brinkman
$292,033-37.2-Next Gen
$307,435-39.1-Celtic

I don't know if this is cause for optimism or not? I have results for two significantly larger contracts in this area for 2013 work. Those winning bids were 21.1 cents by Spectrum and 35.3 cents by Next Generation
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Perhaps the companies that start with "S" didn't get the memo.

The bulk of those bids are somewhat encouraging. Especially the ones by some of the typically aggressive players.

Lots of trees to go around, no need to panic.

kootenaywrx
Regular Contributor

Post by kootenaywrx »

Evergreen wrote:BCTS-Fort St.James-Vanderhoof

$207,403-26.4-Seneca
$214,590-27.3-Summit
$261,941-33.4-Folklore
$268,044-34.1-Torrent
$289,712-36.9-Brinkman
$292,033-37.2-Next Gen
$307,435-39.1-Celtic

I don't know if this is cause for optimism or not? I have results for two significantly larger contracts in this area for 2013 work. Those winning bids were 21.1 cents by Spectrum and 35.3 cents by Next Generation
Where did you find these results posted, so soon after opening?
Thx
Koot.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

All bidders (plus a few other people) are emailed copies of the tender summary sheets before the BCTS staff have time to post the same info on BC Bid. Those emails sometimes get shared throughout the industry fairly quickly.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Here's an interesting graphic which is currently on the front page of the WSCA website.

Link to website: http://wsca.ca

Casper

Post by Casper »

Holy fuck this graphic is depressing...
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Maybe some planters can email it to their company owners, as a polite reminder that the fate of the universe is in the owners' hands. Well, the known universe.

Just right-click on the graphic to download it and save it on your local machine.

magicmoon
Starting to Post

Post by magicmoon »

Results from BCTS Vernon, only 177,000 trees on 55 blocks. Lots of salvage work - small scraps. The two highest contractors were the only two at the recent pricing summit.

Contract: PL15DOS001

1. Torrent $63,779
2. All Stars $66,509
3. Seneca $66,598
4. Coast Range $85,561
5. Timberline $86,770
Attachments
PL15DOS001 Tender Opening Record_Sept 16_13.pdf
(46.06 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

The Pricing Summit was held recently to allow industry participants a chance to discuss costs, and how to best ensure the future financial health of the industry.

If anyone wants to download and examine the full report, I'm posting it here as an attachment. It's something well worth reading and thinking about.

Before you look at the report, here's a summary from the WSCA:
Summary Report of the WSCA 2013 Annual Silviculture Sector Pricing and Market Summit

Since 2006 the Western Silvicultural Contractors' Association has held annual summer silviculture service sector market summits, inviting contractors and nursery operators from across the province. At these sessions, held prior to the regular bidding and negotiations season, information is shared around critical industry trends such as anticipated demand, workforce capacity, operating costs, investment risk and safety developments likely to effect competition and the market.

This year, contractors representing the large majority of trees planted in the province met in early September to take stock of the industry's current state and to compare their expectations and experiences in the silviculture service market. The attached report is a summary of the key facts and findings of that meeting.

I am presenting these conclusions to both contractors and customers on behalf of the WSCA in the hope that they will contribute constructively to future bidding and negotiating for planting and other related silviculture services and products in B.C. The figures and estimates contained in the report should be understood as industry averages and general benchmarks. Given the range of business models operated by contractors and the various relationships that exist with customers, there will be different degrees of applicability for each individual situation. Nevertheless, given the provenance of the assumptions and conclusions in this report, its assertions are likely true for the industry as a whole and should have some relevance to most individual contractor operations. At best we intend this synopsis as an informed platform upon which bidding and negotiating can take place.

Over the next few weeks the WSCA will be posting more detailed reports and analyses that were included as part of the summit agenda. I will send notice of these postings when they are available on our association website: http://www.wsca.ca.

If you have any comments or questions about the conclusions of this report or other information, please get in touch.

JOHN

John Betts
Executive Director
Western Silvicultural Contractors' Assoc.
Office: 250-229-4380
Cell: 250-354-8922
admin@wsca.ca
Attachments
Pricing_Strategy_September_2013.pdf
(177.69 KiB) Downloaded 759 times

Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

magicmoon wrote:Results from BCTS Vernon, only 177,000 trees on 55 blocks. Lots of salvage work - small scraps. The two highest contractors were the only two at the recent pricing summit.

Contract: PL15DOS001

1. Torrent $63,779
2. All Stars $66,509
3. Seneca $66,598
4. Coast Range $85,561
5. Timberline $86,770
This shows the problems the WSCA has with getting everyone to buy in to putting in higher bids. There are always those not involved who persist in putting in low bids. That's not to say WSCA contractors won't, but it's this inability to get all contractors on side that erodes the resolve of those that are trying.

Here's a list of who was at the WSCA pricing summit.

Mark Courtney Nick Brink Kurt Hawkenson Judi Tetro Bruce Blackwell Nathaniel Stoffelsma Rob Miller Gordie Saunders Marc Hobday Dave Jenkinson S.M. Forrest Crawford Young Chris Akehurst Tony Harrison John Lawrence Matt Robertson Scott Overland Miles Sanoy Carlo Galvani Steve Ardell Francois Sauve Jim Logan Tim Tchida Garth Hadley
Mike

Post by Mike »

A&G, Apex, Blue Collar, Brinkman, Coast Range, Dynamic, Evergreen, Folklore, Leader, NATA, Quastuco, Spectrum, Summit, Timberline, Zanzibar.
Plus PRT, Arbutus Grove Nursery, S.M. Forrest Engineering Consultants and BABlackwell.

(Thanks Casper and Dreamofcream for the ones I couldn't swiftly find).

Mark Courtney --- Blue Collar
Nick Brink --- Timberline
Kurt Hawkenson --- Folklore
Judi Tetro --- Brinkman Alberta
Bruce Blackwell --- http://www.bablackwell.com/ --- not actually a planting firm?
Nathaniel Stoffelsma --- Arbutus Grove Nursery, General Manager
Rob Miller - President of PRT
S.M. Forrest - S.M. Forrest Engineering consultants
Gord Saunders --- Zanzibar
Marc Hobday --- Apex
Dave Jenkinson --- Evergreen
Crawford Young --- Spectrum
Chris Akehurst --- A&G
Tony Harrison --- Zanzibar
John Lawrence --- Brinkman
Matt Robertson --- Brinkman Coastal
Scott Overland --- Quastuco
Miles Sanoy --- Dynamic
Carlo Galvani --- A&G
Steve Ardell ---- NATA
Francois Sauve --- Leader
Jim Logan --- Folklore
Tim Tchida --- Summit
Garth Hadley --- Coastrange
Last edited by Mike on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
Casper

Post by Casper »

Marc Hobday is the owner of Apex.
kggold
Starting to Post

Post by kggold »

Evergreen:
At 36c/tree, BCTS Vernon was higher priced than both BCTS Okanagan North and South low bids (33c and 35c) from last year, without any fill plants, in-house pay plotting, ferts and mostly fast ground. But you wouldn't know that, since you didn't view it. Following your 'logic' (to use the term very generously; 'self serving interest' might be more appropriate), the 49c/tree hail-mary high bids, which are higher than nearly every interior contract tendered in the past few years, are the new, post-pricing-summit base price for 'responsible' contractors like yourself on easy to moderately difficult jobs. It will be interesting to see if you put your money where your mouth is on your high priority bids, like Boundary, Revelstoke and Kootenays, where logistics and planting are much more difficult and therefore deserving of an even higher price.
dreamofcream

Post by dreamofcream »

Rob Miller - President of PRT
S.M. Forrest - S.M. Forrest Engineering consultants
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: 2014 Public Bid Results Thread

Post by Scooter »

Attached to this post is the follow-up report which is the "Detailed Summary" from the WSCA.
To the BC Forest Industry:

Earlier this month in our Summary Report of the WSCA 2013 Annual Silviculture Sector Pricing and Market Summit, we framed the key areas where prices needed to rise to keep the planting sector viable. The total figure came close to a needed increase in prices, close to 20 percent depending on how and what you added.

The attached report is a more detailed summary of the figures and assumptions contractors used to arrive at the conclusions of the original report. Once again, this information is intended to inform both contractors and customers in considering what are appropriate prices for silviculture services.

John Betts
Executive Director
Western Silvicultural Contractors' Assoc.
Office: 250-229-4380
Cell: 250-354-8922
Attachments
Pricing_Detailed_Summary_2013.pdf
(295.21 KiB) Downloaded 496 times

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

One more document relating to considerations with regards to fair pricing models:
Here is the next in this series that comes from the WSCA September Pricing and Market Summit. This document is MNP's Business Advisor James Byrne's Summit presentation in which he lays out the fundamentals of a firm financial footing for any business and then applies that logic to what is a fair profit for silviculture contracting.

Some highlights include:

A quick synopsis of the current profitability of the lumber manufacturing sector
A plain language definition of profit and why it is good for businesses
A startling analysis of the increase in profits available by increasing prices as opposed to increasing volume
And a final conclusion around what is a reasonable profit for the kinds of risks typical of investing in a silviculture business.

The WSCA is hoping that both foresters and contractors will look at this presentation and think about and apply Mr. Byrne's estimate for what is a fair profit for our sector.
Attachments
Byrne_WCSA_2013.pdf
(219.38 KiB) Downloaded 433 times

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

BCTS-Fort St.James-Vanderhoof

$207,403-26.4-Seneca
$214,590-27.3-Summit
$261,941-33.4-Folklore
$268,044-34.1-Torrent
$289,712-36.9-Brinkman
$292,033-37.2-Next Gen
$307,435-39.1-Celtic

Yes, I do think that this is a case for optimism, having talked to a handful of other people recently. The average bid price on this BCTS Vanderhoof job this year was 33.8. I couldn't find the results for last year (the one taken at a low bid of 21.1) to figure out the average bid for last year, but the average bid for two years ago was 29.6. Jumping from 29.6 to 33.8 over two years translates to an approximate average increase of 6.8% each year (compounded).

I was at a viewing meeting yesterday which had representatives from most of the major northern contractors. I think we're definitely going to see some restraint among that group. Perhaps a couple will try to bid that job (BCTS Fort St James) aggressively, but I think that many will come to the realization that if they really want the job, an aggressive bid will neither make them a lot of money, nor assure them any likelihood of actually having the low bid. Everyone is best served by putting in a logical bid that will allow both planters and the winning contractor to make reasonable amounts of money. Someone will get the job, and most companies will move on to other bids, but there are a LOT of trees out there for everyone this year, so nobody needs to be anxious.

Most companies can absorb slightly higher volumes of work with existing work forces, but only slightly - last year was a capacity year for many companies that don't want to get any bigger. Bigger increases in volumes result in significant growing pains for a lot of companies, and in the past couple of years, many companies have realized that they don't want to deal with those growing pains. Why try to make money by doing twice as much work at the same profit, when you can do the same amount of work at double the profit? (I don't mean double the bid price - as an example, say you're making 4% profit on your job, you only need to raise a bid price by about 8% to double your profit, and that allows for both the planters and company to share that extra profit).

Maybe I'm being an eternal optimist, but my feeling right now is that the bids that we're going to see over the next several weeks are definitely going to be higher than any of the last five years.

Restraint is a good thing.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Results from one of the BCTS Mackenzie jobs came out today. See below. No word on whether or not Spectrum decided to accept it.

Contract: PL15TGE001
Total Trees: ??

01. $ 695,050 - Spectrum
02. $ 829,810 - Coast Range
03. $ 839,201 - Celtic
04. $ 869,547 - Corsair
05. $ 878,955 - Dynamic
06. $ 921,098 - Blue Collar
07. $ 973,078 - Brinkman
08. $1,054,823 - Folklore
09. $1,290,102 - Apex
10. $1,370,320 - Seneca

Dynamic has experience in this area, and would know how to put in a competitive yet realistic bid. Based on that logic, I'd say the bids from Corsair on upward were probably the best ones.

I'll try to summarize all the bids at the end of the season and post them in a nice chart on the front page of the main site (as well as here) so planters looking for work for spring/summer of 2014 can get a good idea of which companies should have decent pricing relative to the rest of the industry, and which contracts/companies might have less money to work with when it comes to tree prices.

I still think this set of bids shows restraint on the part of many of the major players. I've heard that all the nurseries are just stuffed with tree orders, more so than for many years, so this again should prove some anecdotal evidence that there is a lot of work out there for next year, and companies don't need to bid so aggressively.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Updated info on BCTS Mackenzie:

Contract: PL15TGE001
Total Trees: 2,911,728

01. $ 695,050 - 23.9 cents - Spectrum
02. $ 829,810 - 28.5 cents - Coast Range
03. $ 839,201 - 28.8 cents - Celtic
04. $ 869,547 - 29.9 cents - Corsair
05. $ 878,955 - 30.2 cents - Dynamic
06. $ 921,098 - 31,6 cents - Blue Collar
07. $ 973,078 - 33.4 cents - Brinkman
08. $1,054,823 - 36.2 cents - Folklore
09. $1,290,102 - 44.3 cents - Apex
10. $1,370,320 - 47.1 cents - Seneca

Looks like the low bidder for this contract last year was Apex at 22.5, followed by Dynamic and Celtic at 23.6. So at least the low bid right now is higher than last year's three lowest, although I'm sure Spectrum is unhappy about leaving so much money on the table. Especially after bidding 24.4 last year. Even that extra half cent would have been about an extra fifteen thousand dollars. You buy a lot of kegs of beer for fifteen thousand dollars.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Results from BCTS Prince George:

Contract: PL15TGC004
Number of trees: 2,537,614

01. $791,682 - 31.2 cents - Blue Collar
02. $833,455 - 32.9 cents - Spectrum
03. $882,770 - 34.8 cents - Coast Range
04. $888,039 - 35.0 cents - Seneca
05. $888,609 - 35.0 cents - Celtic
06. $981,829 - 38.7 cents - Dynamic
07. $1,063,911 - 41.9 cents - Apex
Attachments
Prince George PL15TGC004 October 10, 2013 Spring Tree Planting.pdf
(56.3 KiB) Downloaded 485 times

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Results from a FFT Contract (through Erafor) in Prince George:

Contract: PL15DPG-001
Number of Trees: 1,568,712

01. $552,494 - 35.2 cents - Coast Range
02. $556,073 - 35.3 cents - Folklore
03. $595,427 - 38.0 cents - Seneca
04. $601,122 - 38.3 cents - Celtic
05. $622,229 - 39.7 cents - Blue Collar
06. $712,835 - 45.4 cents - Apex

Pebbles
Regular Contributor

Post by Pebbles »

Any thoughts as to why some of these companies consistently high balling by a large margin? Did they just get enough direct awards or waiting for something else to show up?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that one of two things is happening:

1. They're waiting to see what sorts out after another week or two. There are still tons of jobs to be awarded.

2. They're throwing random gamble bids out, knowing that there is very little chance that they'd ever get one, but if a job magically works it's way up to the higher bidder even once every five or six years, and that company stands to make several hundred thousand dollars extra, maybe the owners are throwing in random high bids? Even odds of 1% pay off every once in a while.

I think a lot of the upper range bids though are just companies who have adopted an attitude of "bid to make sure the planters make a lot of money, and therefore the company also makes a lot of money." They know that something will fall into their lap eventually. After years of pain, and bid prices recovering very slowly, some companies will look back on this year and realize that they made a mistake by being too aggressive too early, and others will be able to say that they and their planters really had a pretty solid year.

Pebbles
Regular Contributor

Post by Pebbles »

Thats good to hear, since I work for one of those companies. If they are looking for better bargains in the later contracts, it gives me a lot of hope for next season. Especially after a season of almost no road access.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I'm guessing you worked for Apex and you might have been on that FFT Mackenzie job in July. That looked pretty scary. The FFT Mackenzie work for IFS looks far better this year.

Pebbles
Regular Contributor

Post by Pebbles »

Scooter wrote:I'm guessing you worked for Apex and you might have been on that FFT Mackenzie job in July. That looked pretty scary. The FFT Mackenzie work for IFS looks far better this year.
Ah yes, the 1.3 million tree "burn block". This was one of the best sections:

I think it took us about 3-4 shifts to get this done, with the entire camp on it. However grueling and horrible this block was though, It was one of my biggest earners this summer by far. They started us off with 14c I believe, and after a shift bumped it to 16c (20c with vet pay). But yea, I went back and looked at the 2013 thread, and wow Apex could have gotten us sooo much more money for this.
Casper

Post by Casper »

I don't have pictures and I don't know on which crew you were Pebbles, but my crew had some pretty good pieces on that contract. Better than what is shown on the picture. It was a huge block, with some rocky parts, some steep hills, some thorny stuff like your picture and also some green parts. In the end, you can do well on everything, it just depends on how you adapt to various lands. The price also want from 15.5c to 16.5c, to be exact, which is a pretty good price in my opinion. It is true that Apex could have had bet higher, but like you said, it was still good money for almost everybody (except the crew that went on grizzly mountain, sadly.) There is a lot to say about this contract, I think we did really well out there and planters made money. It's hard to ask for more.
Pebbles
Regular Contributor

Post by Pebbles »

I'm on Mark's crew. For the first shift we just had hills and rocks. After that it got better as every one adapted to the specs and everything. After a while we did get into some nice, relatively flat stuff, but most of our pieces looked like the picture or worse. And yea, a lot of people had problems with that block, but really if you work hard, at those prices its realistic to have $350-400 days. My numbers for that block ranged from 450 (first day) to 2100. Just to show that some pieces were sent straight from hell and some we relatively decent.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

More results for BCTS Mackenzie ...

Contract Number: PL15TGE002
Number of Trees: 3.069m

01. $825,460 - 26.9 - Spectrum
02. $871,839 - 28.4 - Brinkman
03. $912,130 - 29.7 - Folklore
04. $927,385 - 30.2 - Blue Collar
05. $954,722 - 31.1 - Celtic
06. $980,240 - 31.9 - Coast Range
07. $1,131,601 - 36.9 - Seneca
08. $1,273,296 - 41.5 - Apex

I think that Apex did this job last year.
Attachments
Mackenzie PL15TGE002 October 15, 2013 Tree Planting.pdf
(56.14 KiB) Downloaded 436 times

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Results from BCTS Quesnel ...

Contract: PL15TLH003
Number of trees: 1,542,484

01. $437,742 - $0.284 - Torrent
02. $498,659 - $0.323 - Blue Collar
03. $517,731 - $0.336 - Seneca
04. $530,455 - $0.344 - AKD
05. $530,614 - $0.344 - Next Gen.
06. $568,608 - $0.369 - Apex
07. $589,481 - $0.382 - Celtic
08. $830,490 - $0.538 - Brinkman
09. $919,170 - $0.596 - Folklore
Attachments
Quesnel 003.pdf
(397.73 KiB) Downloaded 408 times

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Today's openings in Kamloops ...

Contract: PL15DTR001
Number of Trees: 457,700

01. $212,708 - 46.5 cents - Corsair
02. $223,889 - 48.9 cents - Blue Collar
03. $240,022 - 52.4 cents - Evergreen
04. $251,109 - 54.9 cents - A&G
05. $268,253 - 58.6 cents - Seneca
06. $336,050 - 73.4 cents - Folklore

Contract: PL15DTR002
Number of Trees: 487,084

01. $178,976 - 36.7 cents - Corsair
02. $227,595 - 46.7 cents - A&G
03. $236,671 - 48.6 cents - Folklore
04. $249,150 - 51.2 cents - Evergreen
05. $263,635 - 54.1 cents - Seneca

There were two other openings in Kamloops today that I don't have results from yet. If someone wants to email them to me, I'll post them.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

And the other two ...

Contract: PL15TR003
Number of trees: 402,145

01. $163,422 - 40.6 - Integrity? I can't read it, I'm in a dark Pub.
02. $186,572 - 46.4 - Corsair
03. $212,735 - 52.9 - Evergreen
04. $220,490 - 54.8 - A&G
05. $244,456 - 60.8 - MacLennan Farms
06. $263,359 - 65.5 - Seneca

Contract: PL15DTR004
Number of trees: 259,040

01. $100,971 - 39.0 - Corsair
02. $102,766 - 39.7 - Integrity
03. $106,556 - 41.1 - AKD
04. $109,628 - 42.3 - Coast Range
05. $115,899 - 44.7 - A&G
06. $120,438 - 46.5 - Blue Collar
07. $121,541 - 46.9 - Seneca
08. $153,838 - 59.4 - MacLennan Farms
09. $201,660 - 77.8 - Evergreen

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Results for BCTS Fort St James ...

Contract: PL15TJE004
Number of trees: ??
Season: Summer
Duration: 1 year

01. $46,633 - Seneca
02. $51,526 - Celtic
03. $57,335 - Blue Collar
04. $60,011 - Dewan
05. $65,139 - Brinkman
06. $66,269 - Coast Range
07. $66,922 - Apex

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

More for BCTS Fort St. James ...

Contract: PL15TJE003
Number of Trees: 1.686m
Season: Spring

01. $541,670 - 32.1 cents - Dewan
02. $548,124 - 32.5 cents - Coast Range
03. $576,412 - 34.2 cents - Seneca
04. $577,519 - 34.3 cents - Apex
05. $581,568 - 34.5 cents - Blue Collar
06. $587,837 - 34.9 cents - Celtic
07. $592,841 - 35.2 cents - Dynamic
08. $611,120 - 36.2 cents - Folklore
09. $618,555 - 36.7 cents - Brinkman
10. $656,977 - 39.0 cents - NGR
11. $683,454 - 40.5 cents - Torrent

Average bid on this project: $597,825 or 35.5 cents per tree

Comparison with last year's two BCTS Fort St James spring projects:

002: 1.761m trees, avg bid $510,872 or 29.0 cents per tree
003: 2.064m trees, avg bid $698,808 or 33.9 cents per tree
Weighted average: 31.6 cents per tree

Increase this year over last year = approximately 12.3%

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead »

Am I missing something ? My math on the Dewan FSJ bids above works out to 32.1/31.6 = 1.016 = an insignificant 1.6% increase in price. Plus, a shit company like Dewan winning big contracts doesn't inspire much optimism in how the bidding will go this year.
Cyper

Post by Cyper »

It's interesting that Dewan should be low bidder in Fort St. James when they didn't bid at all on MOFL Kamloops which just opened as well. Dewan did one of the Kamloops jobs last year and made such a mess that they weren't allowed to bid there this year. There were significant unaccounted for trees apparently.

Dewan did the Kamloops trees last year for 37 cents which wasn't enough to pull off the screefing, RPF requirements and tiny block scattered everywhere. Sadly the prices for MOFL Kamloops have taken a dive. The other MOFL Kamloops job was done for 52.3 cents. This year the ground is worse, screefing requirements tougher and the prices are 37 to 46 cents.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Results for BCTS Prince George ...

Contract: PL15TGC003
Number of Trees: 3,056,868
Season: Spring

01. $ 927,869 - 30.4 - Blue Collar
02. $ 929,247 - 30.4 - Apex
03. $ 942,805 - 30.8 - Seneca
04. $ 979,681 - 32.0 - Spectrum
05. $ 990,628 - 32.4 - Coast Range
06. $ 999,746 - 32.7 - Celtic
07. $1,022,185 - 33.4 - Folklore
08. $1,075,180 - 35.2 - Dynamic

mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

bcts seems to have changed their website, and now no longer publishes the results of their tender openings? is this correct, or am i just unable to find them?
Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

mwainwright wrote:bcts seems to have changed their website, and now no longer publishes the results of their tender openings? is this correct, or am i just unable to find them?
Try this link;

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/bcts/areas/

Select the Business Area you want
Select 'Contract Opportunities'
Select 'Tender Opening Records'
A new window will open in the BCTS FTP server
Select the Fiscal Year
Select the Contract you want
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Mike, are you using Chrome as a browser? I usually do, and the links bar disappeared for me a month or two ago. But I can still see it in Internet Explorer. Not sure if it's a browser problem or a BCTS problem. I meant to email BCTS to tell them, but forgot. Can one of the BCTS people who reads this email your webmaster for us?

mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

yeah i use chrome almost exclusively, and that seems to be the problem here. like you say scooter, it works as usual if you use internet explorer. i am usually checking bcts results in a manner that can best be described as obsessive-compulsive, so when that options bar disappeared, i just assumed the government (bcts) was up to no good. im glad there's a more rational explanation.
Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

Here's another link directly to their FTP server. You'll have to know the 3 letter BCTS area designation. Maybe this will work?

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Results from down south, BCTS Okanagan North ...

Contract: PL15TKJ002
Number of Trees: 612,232

01. $196,379 - $0.321 - Seneca
02. $206,784 - $0.338 - Celtic
03. $216,574 - $0.354 - Coast Range
04. $224,697 - $0.367 - Timberline
05. $226,466 - $0.370 - Corsair
06. $227,666 - $0.372 - All-Stars
07. $229,006 - $0.374 - Evergreen
08. $246,371 - $0.402 - A&G
09. $255,895 - $0.418 - Raven
10. $261,389 - $0.427 - Zanzibar
11. $297,930 - $0.487 - Brinkman
12. Disqualified - Torrent