Viking Boots

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
WMcR
Starting to Post

Viking Boots

Post by WMcR »

I was looking into buying a pair of boots for next season. Last season I just tore through boots from Marks Work Warehouse several times and kept returning them but I was looking for something a bit more durable. I was looking into getting the Viking Black Tusk boots and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them? Or if someone has another boot that they recommend that wound be great also.
http://www.deakin.com/shop/products/?p=1518
Thanks
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Viking Boots

Post by Scooter »

Give me about three days, I'll post a video review of the black tusks. I bought a pair for coastal this fall, and did a couple of quick video clips. I just need to find some time to put them together.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
WMcR
Starting to Post

Post by WMcR »

Scooter wrote:Give me about three days, I'll post a video review of the black tusks. I bought a pair for coastal this fall, and did a couple of quick video clips. I just need to find some time to put them together.
That would be wonderful, thanks.
ohsnap
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by ohsnap »

jeez scooter, is there anything you don't do?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Sleep.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Sorry, I can't get this done before I go to Africa. I think the files that I'm looking for are on a hard drive that I shipped back home to New Brunswick. So I'll do this eventually, but it won't be online until around Christmas.

Short version is:
- One of my foremen had a pair several years ago and wore them for a season of about 70 days in BC/Alberta. Actually, that would be a lot more days of use, because the foremen work on the days off too. Probably mostly Alberta work, a lot of quadding and hiking around blocks. He said that his main concern was that the stitching started to come apart between the orange and black sections.
- My pair were sore on the front of my lower shins, because there isn't much give. I did a lot of standing on very steep coastal ground and that's where they really seemed to be hardest on the shins, because I'd be toed in and my heels would be much lower than my toes back down the hill, so the front tongue would dig into the shin. I actually had some bruising of the shins at the very start from this.
- I didn't have any problems with the stitching looking even remotely frayed. Maybe they've improved it since my foreman bought his pair a few years ago? I wore mine for about thirty days of fall planting, and then frequently while viewing, walking around flatter blocks.

Once they got worked in, they were really comfortable. I enjoyed wearing them when I was viewing.

My recommendation is that maybe if I were to buy a pair of boots again for steep ground, I'd look at alternatives that are easier on the shins. If I was going to be working on mostly slopes under 25 degrees, I'd definitely be comfortable buying a set of these again.

WMcR
Starting to Post

Post by WMcR »

Scooter wrote:Sorry, I can't get this done before I go to Africa. I think the files that I'm looking for are on a hard drive that I shipped back home to New Brunswick. So I'll do this eventually, but it won't be online until around Christmas.

Short version is:
- One of my foremen had a pair several years ago and wore them for a season of about 70 days in BC/Alberta. Actually, that would be a lot more days of use, because the foremen work on the days off too. Probably mostly Alberta work, a lot of quadding and hiking around blocks. He said that his main concern was that the stitching started to come apart between the orange and black sections.
- My pair were sore on the front of my lower shins, because there isn't much give. I did a lot of standing on very steep coastal ground and that's where they really seemed to be hardest on the shins, because I'd be toed in and my heels would be much lower than my toes back down the hill, so the front tongue would dig into the shin. I actually had some bruising of the shins at the very start from this.
- I didn't have any problems with the stitching looking even remotely frayed. Maybe they've improved it since my foreman bought his pair a few years ago? I wore mine for about thirty days of fall planting, and then frequently while viewing, walking around flatter blocks.

Once they got worked in, they were really comfortable. I enjoyed wearing them when I was viewing.

My recommendation is that maybe if I were to buy a pair of boots again for steep ground, I'd look at alternatives that are easier on the shins. If I was going to be working on mostly slopes under 25 degrees, I'd definitely be comfortable buying a set of these again.
Perfect, I'll pick myself up a pair as the land I'm going to plant this year shouldn't be to hilly. Thanks for the response.
4low
Starting to Post

Post by 4low »

the quality of viking boots has deteriorated lately, I've seen them fall apart in a week, and seen them last 100+ days on the coast. the point is you don't get a whole lot for the money but they are heavy duty and it seems to make a difference after crashing around all day. Being as heavy as they are they seem to give your foot more protection on the whole, and I have used them as one of several different pairs I use on a rotation. the main concern besides the caulk anchors falling out almost immediately ( do NOT overtighten sharps when replacing worn ones ) is the joint in the boot between rubber and leather... been seeing it cause the top of the foot to become inflammed and sore, and then it just hurts to wear them. Not just me, not just one other... new trend?? I think they're just making them cheaper now and it's showing in the life expectancy. I just picked up a pair of these, http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo ... ctid=MEINC I think they're the sh..... but I also had a pair of the 'pronghorns' that hoffman carries and they're my favorite boot for work.. high maintenance, but cheap and so comfy!!! the pronghorns lasted over two seasons, they were restitched, and have just worn out but the sole is still perfect, all the anchors are intact and there are only a couple reinforcement screws missing.... IMAGINE a boot that wears out before the caulks fall out!! I was minimizing the wet condition that the pronghorns were exposed to, so not the first coastal choice, but a solid third pair for when it WAS dry..... I expect to be just as satisfied with the meindl's as the pronghorns and that's saying alot! So, buy a few pairs and then you always have a dry pair to wear to work, and your feet will be happy with the 'rotation' as well. I'm going to use the meindl's, the pronghorn's, and what's left of last year's black tusks as my rotation, but probably won't replace the black tusks when they're gone...... I'm a hoffman convert and I recommend you become one too... see you at the back of the block! ps - whaddap scooter!! <DAP>
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

100 days sounds about right for a pair of Vikings. I buy a new pair at the start of each year. They're usually not quite dead at the end, but then they function well as a back up pair the following year. It's especially nice for spring coastal if the new pair get totally soaked through, I can wear the back ups while they dry for a day. So they'll get maybe 10 or so days in the second year and then they're done for.

Although having said that, the pair I bought this year didn't quite make it to the end - they fell apart mid-way through the fall plant, but I got through with my back ups. And I was wearing my hiking boots sometimes in the interior, so.... I got roughly 70 days out of that pair. Maybe the quality is deteriorating.
ApexPredator
Regular Contributor

Post by ApexPredator »

i go through 2-3 pairs in a summer season
Slowsis
Regular Contributor

Post by Slowsis »

Anyone have a link to a store I could pick up some Viking Foresters in Kamloops?
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

Aeryk
Regular Contributor

Post by Aeryk »

NOOO! I bought a few pairs at Herbys before and always returned them after not even 1 shift. They all had the same problem with the steel toe not being connected to the sole so the tow ripped open on the first day of use. checked there shelves and they were all like that. Maybe that was a bad year or maybe Herbs gets shitty boots, Im leaning towards the second because they were a great deal...well not really....
Alas! how little does the memory of these human inhabitants enhance the beauty of the landscape
Barbarian Planter
Starting to Post

Post by Barbarian Planter »

Aye myself planted a winter season in Scotland with the Viking Forester caulk boots, the ground was usually always wet, swampy, brushy and thorny, as the highlands are. They remain dry until you go above the rim of the boot, but the rubber does seem to get slashed, and the caulks go dull in no time if you wear them too much on gravel, then they are slippery on logs and useless on flat ground, so keep them to high slash, logs, fen, and boggy places and they serve well, and usually last a season. Cost about as much as you would earn in a day planting. I do wish Vibram would invent a fivefinger treeplanting boot, maybe with some knee high compression fivefinger socks to go with it.