Treeplanters as Logisticians

Post links to other useful sites and videos, planting or forestry or otherwise. Visible to unregistered users.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Treeplanters as Logisticians

Post by Scooter »

Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
retrovertigo
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Treeplanters as Logisticians

Post by retrovertigo »

Was in Montreal meeting my gf's family for the first time a couple years ago. Her aunt works for MSF, when she found out I was a planter sitting around on EI she offered me a job as her assistant on the spot. Said she'd worked with a few ex-planters over the years and they were generally the best workers + held together better than others under pressure.
Casper

Post by Casper »

retrovertigo wrote:Was in Montreal meeting my gf's family for the first time a couple years ago. Her aunt works for MSF, when she found out I was a planter sitting around on EI she offered me a job as her assistant on the spot. Said she'd worked with a few ex-planters over the years and they were generally the best workers + held together better than others under pressure.
Hey just by curiosity, do you have any skills that applies to humanitarian work or the planting experience was enough ? I really liked the video above and I am looking into ways to get into that field.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

You should try contacting the guy in the film himself, and asking if you could talk to him for advice. Try to google him ... Ivan Gayton MSF.

retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

Casper wrote:Hey just by curiosity, do you have any skills that applies to humanitarian work or the planting experience was enough ? I really liked the video above and I am looking into ways to get into that field.
No, no specific skills. Apparently planting was enough.

Can't offer any further info since I didn't take it. One of life's little ironies - a year before, a nomadic bachelor, I would have jumped at the chance to do that kind of work (think it would have been somewhere in N Africa at the time). Guess it wasn't in the cards.

Agree w/ scooter, contact them, I think you'll be surprised at their interest. I mean the video itself looks like recruiting / headhunting to me.
dreamofcream

Post by dreamofcream »

I just got a message today from a friend currently working for MSF linking to the youtube video from the start of the thread and asking to send it along to people who may be interested in working as a technical logistician. Here's a couple of quick links that may help people who are serious about the process. My friend really made it seem as if the organization was especially keen on finding ex-planters and foreman to help out. Check out the video if you haven't already

Description of Technical Logistician
http://www.msf.ca/en/technical-logisticians

Contact information for MSF Canada, MSF Quebec
http://www.msf.ca/en/connect-us
Mike

Post by Mike »

It's a pity it looks like the wage starts at 1900$/month. If it was even just a little higher I'd consider it.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
dreamofcream

Post by dreamofcream »

Mike wrote:It's a pity it looks like the wage starts at 1900$/month. If it was even just a little higher I'd consider it.
Thats true, but look at some of the benefits and think about them relative to the lack thereof in planting
- 25 days paid vacation
- Life/Health Insurance (including dental, vision)
- RRSP contribution
- Daily per diem in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to the field
- Transportation and accommodations for briefings in NA or Europe
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

And also, it's cool to be doing something unique like this in some far corner of the world ...

Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah. I think it'd be a good option for a lot of people. Just not me at the moment.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd