Don't Leave Jerry Cans beside Pumps or Generators

This one is pretty self-explanatory. This part of the forums is specifically intended to collect health, safety, training, and related information. Unsafe Is Unacceptable.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Don't Leave Jerry Cans beside Pumps or Generators

Post by Scooter »

I've seen this type of incident happen twice in my career, where someone will leave a can of gasoline or something flammable beside a generator or pump, and risk the chance of a fire/explosion. In the attached photo, the exhaust from the generator managed to melt a hole in the side of the jerry can. Luckily, it was noticed before it exploded.

So my thought of the day is that if you ever see a fuel can sitting beside a pump or generator, take it back to the fuel cache.
Attachments
melted_jerry_can.jpg
melted_jerry_can.jpg (486.96 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Don't Leave Jerry Cans beside Pumps or Generators

Post by newforest »

Isn't the safety standard for fuel cans ... metal cans?

I work at plenty of sites that wouldn't allow a non-metal fuel can on to the property.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Odd. I've never seen a metal fuel container. Well, I saw one when I was a kid on my grandfather's farm, but that might have been manufactured in the 1930's.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
newforest

Post by newforest »

Anything that can be melted - can be punctured. Or crumpled enough when run over to let the fuel out. The USA standard for a fuel can being transported in the open, as in a pick-up bed, has even been upgraded to a thicker grade of steel lately.

Then there are the emissions laws the designs have to meet...

I have a Jerry Can that meets the guidelines of four different gov't agencies, 2 for safety, 2 for emissions. When I bought it, it was the only one on the market that could make that claim as the other manufacturers hadn't upgraded their basic steel thickness yet. It is a classic "Jerry Can" as the name was created in WWII - a tall rectangle, designed to ride in an external rack on a vehicle. Outside of a rack it tips over easily ... not very safe. $50

I want to get a new one with a more squat design.
theBushman

Post by theBushman »

Every upright, new manufacture, 5gallon, metal Jerry Can or Gerican I've seen for sale in Canada is Chinese Pot Metal and made for the cheapest of doomsday preppers.

The standard here is made by Scepter, is squat, HDPE, and only has one opening for a self venting spout. They have a 6gallon military shaped can, it has a traditional vent.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram