Planting at 3000 meters

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

Planting at 3000 meters

Post by newforest »

I shoveled gravel at 2700 meters once. I survived OK thanks to tree-planting conditioning. But I have never planted all day at such an altitude. Looking at a bid to do such.

Last year I worked at 1200 meters - simple enough.

Maybe the difficulties for the H2 contractors will give me a chance on it.

I guess thunderstorm risk is an important detail to keep track of. Sun exposure would add up much quicker too.

How common is planting at that altitude?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Planting at 3000 meters

Post by Scooter »

Doesn't happen in BC, I don't think?

I vaguely think I might have done blocks at 2300m before, but that might be my imagination. We look at 1900-2100m as being really high, in terms of when the snow will melt off in the spring.

When I climbed Kilimanjaro, I didn't notice any problems with a perceived shortness of breath until I was up around 4500m.

For flight in Canada, if you're between 10,000 and 13,000 feet (so above 3048m up to 3962m) you're supposed to have supplemental oxygen if you're going to be at those levels for more than 30 minutes. But that's because you're piloting a plane. Mind you, there's a whole lot less physical exertion flying a plane compared to planting.

If you win the bid and do it, let us know if you experience any odd effects. The first thing to suffer is your eyesight when oxygen levels decrease. So you might find that your vision is a touch fuzzy.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
peroxide
Regular Contributor

Post by peroxide »

Just curious, what state would you be planting in? And how many states do you work in a year? It seems like you cover a lot of ground every year.
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by newforest »

this bid is in Colorado. I've never planted there but I used to couch-surf there a fair amount in the 90s. Living at altitude cuts out boring people, I like that and miss it. Would like to see the state again and visit some friends out that way - a planting job would certainly help. Might be just a dream but the planting dates (June) work for me pretty well. It would be the peak of bug season at home otherwise, though I do have a moderate amount of brush-saw work left over from last year I have until November to finish it.

I typically work in 5-6 states a year, from the south-east Atlantic coast to the Great Lakes.

Historically, tree-planting contractors in the USA worked their way north, from a season in Florida that would run Dec. 15 - Jan 15, to areas along the Canadian border where a typical planting contract would run May 1 - May 31 perhaps. In some states in the south-east, seedlings can be planted now from about October till the end of March. The increasing use of plugs over bare-roots (still hundreds of millions of bare-roots planted though) has increased season dates quite a bit, particularly for Fall planting. Deciduous bare-roots are also pretty hardy for late planting dates.