Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

This one is pretty self-explanatory. This part of the forums is specifically intended to collect health, safety, training, and related information. Unsafe Is Unacceptable.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

Post by Scooter »

Here's a TED talk (old, from about eight years ago) about some of his thoughts and philosophy:

This isn't a particularly outstanding TED talk, contrary to some of the accolades in the comments, but it was still worth watching.

Two quotes that stood out:

"I'm the captain of a crab boat. My job isn't to get you home alive; it's to get you home rich."

and

"What if it was 'Safety Third'?"
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Mike
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

Post by Mike »

People have several times told me he did a tree-planting episode, but I don't think it's true.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
jules

Post by jules »

Mike wrote:People have several times told me he did a tree-planting episode, but I don't think it's true.
They're probably talking about this episode of a show called "Ed's Up".
newforest

Post by newforest »

Huhh, missed this thread when first posted.

People ask me all the time if Tree Planting has ever been on Dirty Jobs. Or the kids working for me would ask if I can call Mike so they can be on Dirty Jobs.

I did look into the idea, once upon a time. The cable channel hosting it ran a website where you could suggest Dirty Jobs for Mike to visit, but it was done publicly on a forum type software, so anyone could read the suggestions (and comment, iirc?). There were one or two suggesting checking out tree planting.

Though obviously there is plenty of dirt involved, Tree Planting of millions of tree seedlings was never on the show that I am aware of. The reason wasn't enough dirt. The reason was the fact that 95% (or more) of tree seedlings planted in the USA aren't planted by Americans. And the Dirty Jobs show would never ever touch a Dirty Job done by a foreigner. If you knew much about Hispanic labor in the USA, the show was pretty surreal as it went on season after season with never a Mexican to be seen. It was one of the only TV shows I kept much of an eye on, for obvious reasons, but the closest I ever saw was these guys in Arizona who transplanted gi-normous Cactuses for landscaping. They were Hispanic, but probably 3rd or 4th generation American. They didn't get very dirty doing it, either.

So the Mexican guys I knew who couldn't hack working on a planting crew and ended up literally shoveling out pig barns for a living, they were never on the show. The whole situation seemed very fitting for my very surreal country. A good take on it is the comedic film "A Day Without A Mexican" from about ten years ago. And just when you thought my country couldn't get any more fuct up, we had this Election you might have heard about recently....